Are we almost certain that the season isn’t happening?

Viewing 5 reply threads

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Hate to keep being a negative nelly but it is really looking that way.  It would take so long to get 10k inside the stadium plus the overall risk to the althletes. 

Jake Bentley article

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Two weeks ago I would have said it’s going to happen for sure. Now I’m just pretty sure it will happen but wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t. There’s just too much money on the line for it not to. Some universities rely on the football program and without the season, it will be too much loss for them to bear.

6 5

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I honestly don’t think the country can take another shut down. It will result in so many suicides and abhorant behavior. 
        I guess we can gleefully head to our own Holodomor.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

I’d love to think that college football is going to power through and make it work.  Here’s my hesitation: Most would say that there’s a pretty good chance that this virus is still lingering during the college football season (we can leave the discussion about the dangers of the virus for another time).  Then, let’s say your starting QB and 3 of your 5 starting offensive lineman test positive for it.  I’m guessing school policy will not only put those four players under quarantine, but they’ll probably want to put the squads that they are in constant contact with under quarantine as well (2nd-3rd string QB, 2-3 other OL etc.).  Season over.  How does a team stroll out with a converted defensive back playing QB and a bunch of fill-ins from the D-line on the O-line?  It’s hard enough to compete with your starters.

It’s going to be extremely interesting in a couple of months.  You’re going to have super-cautious leagues (Pac12) ready to shut it down at the first sign of trouble and you’re going to have play-or-die leagues (SEC) that are going to throw caution to the wind.  You may have an SEC national champion this year, not because they’re the best, but because they’re the only league left standing at the end.

Lastly, the whole social distancing thing inside of football stadiums is going to be a mess.  Who gets to decide what fans get to attend the games?  Do we get refunds on those games that we don’t get to come to?  How do you avoid lines at the restrooms and concessions?  

It’s all adding up to be too difficult to navigate around this virus.  Damn it, I hope I’m wrong.  I live for college football and it will leave a giant gaping void in my life.

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

I like the idea of just going for it. Last team standing!

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

The logistics of getting it to work with restrictions is unrealistic.

I also just read that Kansas is quarantining People entering from Arizona, Alabama, Arkansas, Maryland, people who go on cruises or International travelers.  

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute
          1 1

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

I too want to stay optimistic that we can have a season in a way that is safe to the players and fans. But seeing how everything is starting to spike up again leaves me wondering how everything isn’t going to end up getting shut down. Can’t imagine life without Ute football this year…I’d be in deep depression.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

I agree UteBaker, But like I said there’s too much money to lose so I think the season will take shape in some fashion. Games will be canceled or moved. If a school can’t field a team for a week or two due to too many covid cases maybe they’ll have to forfeit or maybe they’ll move the game or maybe they’ll just cancel the game altogether and it doesn’t count against anyone. As far as concessions go, I think they’ll be closed. Once you’re in the stadium, you’re in your seat unless there’s an emergency or you have to go to the bathroom.

Again, I wouldn’t be surprised if the season is canceled, I just don’t think it will be. One thing is for sure, it won’t be the same.

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Who says people need to be in th stadium to have games?

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

I would agree with you with respect to every other sport.  College football is about the fans, the pageantry, the bands, tailgating and the overall atmosphere.  It wouldn’t even be close to the same without fans.

Also, I think fielding a complete team is going to be a bigger issue than getting fans in the stadium.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

States can quarantine ESPN game day, P12 network. The ENTIRE team!

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

Totally agree! It wouldn’t be the same without the fans.

utefansince79
            Ute Fan
            @utefansince79

Totally agree! It wouldn’t be the same without the fans.

In addition to following Ute sports (primarly football and basketball) and the Utah Jazz, I also enjoy soccer and follow RSL and the English Premier League.  The EPL started back up last week in empty stadiums.  Watched the Merseyside Derby (Liverpool vs. Everton) on Sunday.  It’s a traditional rivlary but there just wasn’t the usual energy in the action (of course teams were playing for the first time in almost 100 days).  Sports just won’t bet the same until a packed enthusiastic crowd can safely attend and cheer on their teams.

1 1

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

The atmosphere of college football is what makes it so special IMO

gUrthBrooks
          Ute Fan
          @hammer

You are saying they will cancel games if there can’t be fans in the stands. Still seems like TV dollars are by far the largest part of the income, right?

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

CFB has to happen. Not having it will not just spell the demise of some athletic departments, it will actually end some universities. There’s no way it will not happen.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Exactly. Some universities can’t keep the lights on without. It will look different, but I would bet it will happen.

UteBacker
          Ute Fan
          @utebacker

I’ll be 100% supportive and eager to watch our Utes play this year, whether it’s at home or at the stadium.

I just hope Britain Covey isn’t taking snaps from Brant Kuithe at some point during the season…

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

Which universities?

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

For what it’s worth, college dorms are the youth equivalent of cruise ships. A number of teams have up to a third of the team positive right now. Might be a fall for everyone to pick up a hobby or spend Saturdays with kids.

If you could ensure team health, why not just play the games and watch on TV? Then again, how compliant and responsible were you when you were 20?

Would love to watch the games but it’s just entertainment at the end of the day.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

For what it’s worth, college dorms are the youth equivalent of cruise ships. .

Indeed LSU and Clemson have large outbreaks on their football squads 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Meanwhile Covid-19 cases in Utah are surging and there’s talk of a “complete shutdown” looming.  Now if you exuse me, I’m off to buy a few hundred rolls of toilet paper. 

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Are we almost certain that the season isn’t happening?