Arizona could be the toughest game of 2024

Viewing 10 reply threads

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Arizona up 10-0 early in the bowl game against Oklahoma. They look quite good, and the energy around this team / program is palpable.
      They’re going to be tough to beat next year. Glad we get them at RES.
      Thoughts?

2 1

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

Judging by how they dominated Utah this year, you could certainly be correct.

ryynoo
      Ute Fan
      @ryynoo

I wonder if their coach will be gone this year?

3 2

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

If Fisch was going to leave Arizona, he would have done so already. Fifita is the real deal. I don’t know their portal or draft situation but I do know Fifita will be back and that’s enough to give me concerns. Keep in mind that Zona lost two OT games to USC and Miss State and a close 31-24 match versus Washington. I mean, there’s an alternate universe where Zona is undefeated this season and is in the CFP.

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

Surprising his name hasn’t come up seriously in this year’s coaching carousel. I was hoping someone would poach him. He’d have been a great get for TAMU or even Mich St.
        Agree with Miami, I don’t see him leaving now.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Yeap, no coach worth his salt waits until after s bowl game to head off to another school. That would put him well behind the eight 🎱 with regards to recruiting, filling out a staff, etc…he’s staying at least another season in Tucson.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Rumors were the UCLA alumni and donors wanted him but the AD didn’t feel he could fire Chip after an 8 win season.

11 5

UteBrook
      Ute Fan
      @utebrook

Y’all forget we had about a 1/3 or more of our team out that game, right? We will destroy them.

4 1

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

I expect us to win because RES, but I wouldn’t bet on destroying them.

3 2

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I doubt that Utah “destroys” Arizona from here on in as long as Fisch is there. No team came close to “destroying” Arizona this season as their biggest loss was 31-24 to Washington. Utah can beat Arizona but Rising better be up and playing to the best of his abilities. Otherwise, Arizona can beat Utah at RES. Just take a look at their roster and see how many healthy offensive playmakers they have compared to Utah. Definitely cannot take Arizona for granted.

5 2

Ghost of the HEB
        Ute Fan
        @deseretgentlman

Their three losses (all first half of the season) were OT loss at Miss St, one score loss to Washington, and OT loss at USC. They’ve got a good young QB (legacy Utah kid) and legit offensive weapons. Fisch has them playing physical defense. They bullied us in Tucson. Destroying them will be a tall task.

NarfUte
          Ute Fan
          @narfute

Missing this legacy hurts. How can you sleep on Steve Fifita and Kelly Talavou’s nephew

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

the easiest answer starts with a 5 and ends with a 9. 5′-9″

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

I was about to say that. It’s his height that probably kept him from being ranked higher. Seeing him on a few occasions, he reminds me of a young Russell Wilson with the accompanying arm. No doubt that if he has a good season in 2024 he’ll be turning pro.

Utah#1
            Ute Fan
            @utebig12nattychamps

Over time, I think Whittingham has lost his ability to see diamonds in the rough like Fifita. He is known for that, at least on the defensive side of the ball, and developing them. Fisch, to me, displays the same coaching characteristics as Whitt and Utah, and has taken that knowledge and coaching approach to a whole another level! IMO, his team’s performance this season tells me his coaching is solid on both sides of the ball, something Whittingham has failed to do for years now, except the two Rose Bowl appearances. What Fisch has been able to do with Arizona in two to three years is remarkable. Both him and DeBoer at Washington have remarkably turned their teams around and have become legit Top 10 contenders. I wouldn’t doubt it if Arizona went into RES next year and wins the game.

NarfUte
              Ute Fan
              @narfute

I agree, DeBoer, Fisch, Smith at OSU – doing things like Whitt but better. Hopefully Scalley can do the same when he’s the head guy

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

And then the talent showed up…

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @utebiquitous

I can’t wait to play them. It’s awesome to have a high level game to look forward to. No question this will be one of the games of the season for the Big 12. Of course, the Y game will be big as well, regardless of records at that point.

6 1

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

What a sad view of the future.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Hell of a game. AZ just took back the lead with 5 min to go.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Yup, and several away games other than USU. UofA has a solid defense. Not confident Utah has the offense to keep up with UofA in its current state.

4 2

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

We will smoke them.

Utegator
      Ute Fan
      @utegator

Oklahoma was hit hard with the transfer portal and sit outs for the bowl game, Arizona was essentially a complete team. This was serious for Arizona and seemed to be exhibition for Oklahoma.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Similarly, Utah had a lot of transfers and potential draftees sit out against a mostly full Northwestern squad but you play with you have available. But Arizona is one of the most improved teams in all of college football the last few years (in 2021 went 1-11 which included a loss to Northern Arizona). Will very likely be among the better teams in the Big12 next year.

3 1

Utes 69
      Ute Fan
      @slc123

All games will be tough when you score a whopping seven points per game

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Arizona could be the toughest game of 2024