Big 12, ACC, and SEC could very well be the Forest Gump shrimp boats.

Viewing 2 reply threads
      7 1

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Yeah, Covid19 world making me nuts :)! The other conference leaders are begging them not to play this Fall. It will be a huge set back for the P12 if some how the B12, ACC, and SEC pull off playing some version of Fall football with an effective virus mitigation management plan. At this point, nothing would surprise me.

5 1

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Honestly, I hope one or more of the conferences do choose to try to have a football season.  Next, if that was announced, I wonder if the Big10 or Pac would reconsider.  Oddly, BYU with little hope for a season seems to push thru adversity better than the Pac.  The Pac does have their own destiny in their hands with the conference only schedule but quit.  Fear of making a mistake is primary; looking to analyze a balanced approach with the best possible outcome is a far distant second.  In other news, never getting into a car again will clearly reduce the risk of an auto accident.

8 2

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

Agreed. We need a conference to be the Sweden of college football (so to speak). That conference can show the way and reap the spoils (or, for the more pessimistic, welcome the grim reaper). 

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Folks will rediscover other fall activities to do.  I imagine fall fishing and hunting will see a lot of pressure.  Why take the paper if there are no sports to read?  Maybe folks that thought they would never give up their football seats will find it easier than previously thought.  Some fans may feel agitation about the player boycott; even though the schools will not discuss it as a factor clearly it was a huge factor that could not be overcome while dealing with the questions around covid.  Prior to the boycott there was a lot of energy to push thur the covid difficulties, then it suddenly felt like holding back a rising tide.

Spring football, if it happens, will challenge the order of things and may not find fans when it competes with different activities like the skiing season winding down, college basketball that will be pushed to later months, every other spring activity and may not find the covid environment any better. 

What happens next fall?  Will the fan base be hungry for football and demand high?  Will the fan base be already adjusted away from college football somewhat?  If the NFL has a season, will that move football interest their way?  Will college athletes continue their boycott or will their priority become restarting college football?  What will college athletics look like after a year of very little revenue?  I expect changes, we just need to see what they will be.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Big 12, ACC, and SEC could very well be the Forest Gump shrimp boats.