BYU

Viewing 7 reply threads

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

I”m not sure why, but I think many of us are underestimating BYU.  I don’t think this team will though.

First, Ute fans, it’s ok to admit Wilson is a good qb.  It wasn’t just us he looked good against.  While I know he wasn’t playing a ton of power house d’s, it was still his freshman year against D1 talent.  I think he will get his shots against us.  Will it be enough?  Don’t know.  

I do question their D.  They had a good defense last year, but as has been pointed out, they lost a couple of really good players.  Their secondary looked completely lost at times last year.  I”m hoping Ludwig has watch some tape and can exploit that.  

Their RB shoudl be solid.  Lights out?  Maybe not, but solid.  Our D is usually great against the run.  So on this one, I”m not so worred.  

I know the banter is fun for many, but I’m not writting this one off as a guaranteed win.   We *should* beat them by 2 scores.  But last year we should have beat them by 3 or 4.  You can’t rule out anything in this game.  

– jus sayin

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

If people were really that confident the Vegas line would be moving, but it’s not.  Fans might sound confident but they are putting money where their mouth is.  

6 1

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Over 90% of the money is on Utah. So, fans are putting their money where their mouth is. 

UtMtBiker
          Ute Fan
          @utmtbiker

What’s your source?  Are you looking at public betting percentages?  That’s not the same thing as where the money is.  Why would a sports book accept such risk and not move the line?  

#of people betting on a team doesn = the percentage of money bet on a team.  

Kirk Kettner
            Ute Fan
            @cwatkins02

Percentage of both total bets and $ are 90+% on Utah. The souce has been shared on this board already. The line was down to -4.5 when there was uncertainty with Moss and it has moved back up to -6.5…

AUtahManSir
              Ute Fan
              @autahmansir

I don’t see the earlier post.  How do you know 90% of the money is on the Utah side???

mokus
        Ute Fan
        @mokus

The line did move, from 5 to 6.5.  Everyone is dumping their money into Utah.  

ThurstonW
          Ute Fan
          @thurstonw

William Hill moved a full point (5.5 to 6.5) in the Utes favor over the last 24 hours.  The Peppermill is now at 7. 

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

In three of the seven games he played he went up against the 119, 122, and 112 ranked passing efficiency defenses. He also had an abysmal outing against the 90th ranked defense. And, in the second half of the Utah game, was absolutely terrible. (First half he did great). He’s good. He’s not great. He is, at best, on par with Shelley.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

BYU beat Wisconsin on the road last year. BYU is better than most Ute fans are willing to admit. Kool-aid is intoxicating. I think the first half could be relatively even and Utah pulls away if they don’t cough up the ball a lot. As BYU gets tired, the score will widen. That’s more or less the story of last year. Without the TOs the score will be a two or three score spread at the end, but halftime could have Ute fans s**tting themselves. It’s what we do.

3 2

Anonymous
        Ute Fan
        @anonymous

That’s because often the postings you read about are from fans who are fanatics and likely have never played anything competitive beyond average high school sports; thus, their views of the game are heavily tied to emotional state and superficial stats.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

BYU lost to Northern Illinois at Home last year.  BYU is worse than most cougar fans are willing to admit.  Kool-aid is intoxicating.  I predict another Utah win, with the Utes ending the game by taking a knee in the “Victory Formation”, rather than attempting to run up the score, and cougar fans will ignore the fact that Utah was in scoring range, and claim another “margin of defeat” trophy.

In other words, same as it ever was…

4 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Eh. BYU isn’t that great. Utah showed up for about 17 mins and beat them. 

I don’t see a lot of fans saying Wilson sucks. Most Utah fans are saying he’d never see the field at Utah and they are right. He isn’t better than Huntley and he isn’t better than Shelley and he isn’t better than Rising. It doesn’t mean he sucks. He just isn’t as good as the other QB’s. 

Their defense is good at what they do. They limit big plays. They make you work the whole way down the field and they toughen up in the red zone. It’s hard to beat a defense like that. 

You are right. We “should” beat them big every year and we don’t. Credit to BYU. This is their whole world and they play like it. We don’t. Which keeps the games closer than they should be. 

UM4G
      Ute Fan
      @um4g

IMO their RB is nothing special, he was 3rd string on a South Carolina team that went 7-6. So we’ll see, but I don’t think he’s going to average 4 YPC like I’ve seen a lot of Y fans claiming.

Anfernee
        Ute Fan
        @anfernee

Driving and was listening to Hans, Scott Gerrard and former BYU rb Will Snowden. Snowden was saying not only will Ty’Son Williams be the offensive MVP for them all year, he’ll be in the NFL. “You’re going to see a next level back tomorrow night.” Oh, and he said he’s basically Moss equal. This is his 3rd team. Has 836 yards rushing in career. And 5 touchdowns.

Anfernee
          Ute Fan
          @anfernee

Driving and laughing that hard isn’t safe.

Chidojuan
            Ute Fan
            @chidojuan

It’s getting frustrating not being able to tell if the talking heads are using hyperbole or being genuine.  I didn’t see anything noteworthy regarding his speed, vision or strength.  He could definitely be a workhorse, but he just looked like a middle of the road RB to me.  He could be amazing for all I know, but he’s proven nothing.  Moss is a proven commodity.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Sooooo they are watching this RB play against TDS defense or scout team correct? If anything this news that he looks so exceptional should make Moss and Ludwig lick their lips in anticipation. Moss is going to have a good day.

Chidojuan
                Ute Fan
                @chidojuan

Maybe, I only saw some game film when he was at SC.  If that’s where they get the optimism from, then you’re 100% correct.

Utebeam
                  Ute Fan
                  @utebeam

I watched a highlight reel from the 17-18 season. Of course he looks good in it, but looking at the opponets they played during the highlight reel they didn’t beat any ranked teams and ended up losing to a ranked A&M. He’s probably the best back tds has had in quite some time. I see where they get the optimism, but how will he do against a stingy DL? When considering last years game the DL gave tds a lot of hope due to the 2nd string RB have way too much success.

Chidojuan
                    Ute Fan
                    @chidojuan

I guess, but the leading rusher was Wilson, at a whopping 73 yards.  I don’t see how Williams is going to do much better.

EagleMountainUte
                      Ute Fan
                      @battlegroundute

Then Hansen spied him and they kept contain.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

2018 is just a horrible game from an analytics point of view. You can’t compare the games. This is an opener for one. 2018 was smashed between wrapping up the first South championship and playing for a Rose Bowl!! If you look at the game with that frame you see it wasn’t even close. Utah blew them up.

ThurstonW
      Ute Fan
      @thurstonw

Underestimating…..no.   Disrespecting…..yes.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.