Coach K killed it this season

Viewing 9 reply threads
      6 6

McBride of Frankenstein
      Ute Fan
      @mcbrideoffrankenstein

Who Utah lost to this year very much does matter!

A season is the body of work, not the last game.  Lets remember: Utah finished 3rd.  3rd.  really 3RD in the Pac despite relying heavily on freshmen.  3rd of 12 in the pac-12.

I does truly suck immensely to lose in the quarterfinals 3rd year in a row.   However, it is definitely noteworthy that we lost to the team that won the PAC-12 tourney.  …..Really?  Who would object to that?  Oregon beat ASU and (handily) Washington.  Are you REALLY saying that matters not at all?  Lets see how far Oregon goes in the tourney, but they handled the first round easily.

Second point: coach k’s recruiting is on the up.   This is the time to give him some sway and see how he performs.  I’d say: no significant improvement in 2 years lets reassess, but as of now the body of work is on a positive upswing.  Everyone needs to note: a shift in coaches always comes with significant pain: when in doubt, stick with it.  That is the story of Utah Football and, btw, the Utah Jazz.  

What say you?  

3 1

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

I wouldn’t go as far to say he killed it. The Pac12 was not good at Bball. Maybe Oregon vastly underperformed during the season and are now hitting their stride, but Utah basketball under Coach K is difficult to watch.

If PVD doesn’t play out of his mind how many more L’s are on the schedule this season? Coach K has shown what he can do and for being a top tier paid coach, players aren’t developing at that level. If Utah is not in the NCAA tourney next season he should offer a discount or step away.

McBride of Frankenstein
        Ute Fan
        @mcbrideoffrankenstein

Oh yes you are so right. 5th or 6th or 7th. Doesn’t matter at all in the weak pac 12. Third who cares right?

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Pac12 isn’t a basketball conference anymore. Simple fix fire Scott and get eyes on potential recruits. So that TV deal needs to get fixed and fast. 

Third in the conference got Utah what?  Not even an NIT bid after going to final last season?  

Cracks in the foundation is what we see and the estimate is too expensive to fix now. 

McBride of Frankenstein
        Ute Fan
        @mcbrideoffrankenstein

I know it. Pac-12 sucks terribly. 3rd in the pac-12 doesn’t matter at all for that reason. I totally get itI.  Hey why even try while there Larry Scott is the commissioner?

1 1

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

“Trying is the first step towards failure.”

Homer Simpson 

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

Firing Larry Scott is the right move for the conference and for the network, but has absolutely zero bearing on the level of basketball play.  Each of the schools needs to step it up and get better on their own. 

Cal, UCLA, and WSU all need to hire excellent coaches (UCLA absolutely has to be a homerun hire).  Arizona may find a way to put Sean Miller in the Transfer Portal, and would also need a homerun hire.  All 12 teams need to step it up in recruiting.

3 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

If you boil down this season you swept a scandle riddled Zona and Beat ASU. To earn a first round bye that didn’t accomplish anything. 

The negatives just overshadow that. 

No tourney inexcusable for his salary. 

Loss to TDS….No way. 

Bad losses to better teams??!?? Not a positive. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

If killing it means not making it to any post season tournament at all, not even the NIT, then I don’t want to kill it.  

MauchDawgUte
      Ute Fan
      @mauchdawgute

Coach K? Is that you?

4 2

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Is this a serious post ? Dude was awful and the team was awful. All a reflection of K. Had one of the worse defenses in the country and yes got the 3rd seed but who cares when you lose the first game. Don’t care if it was Oregon. That alone makes it worse and further shows how Altman owns K. 3 straight years not in the tourney is a joke. Wasn’t even close this year or last year or the year before.

3 2

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Top 10 paid coach in the nation. Hasn’t made the dance in years. Squanders good talent like Kuzma, can’t draw up a game winning play, can’t beat Oregon in years, can’t beat a press (seemingly ever), can’t beat TDS, yearly transfers.

I will give him the recruiting uptick. But he’s done nothing to prove that he can effectively utilize that talent.

I am not seeing the ROI on Larry.

4 1

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

But third in the conference and first round bye. #teamgoals

McBride of Frankenstein
        Ute Fan
        @mcbrideoffrankenstein

Fair . I think on balance give him a couple more.  One could argue made Kuzms btw

4 1

Sweetness
      Ute Fan
      @sweetness

I don’t know how you can say in college a coach kills it when they don’t even make the NIT.

If it was the NBA where you had a separate GM/front office that was responsible for bringing in the talent, then yeah I think you can look at a coach who seemingly overachieves and applaud them for it. In college when they are responsible for both talent and coaching, nothing matters but the end result. Doesn’t matter how you got there, just matters what you accomplish.

3rd in the pac12 (a historically bad year for the conference) shouldn’t overshadow the fact that we kissed the dance for the third straight season and didn’t even get an NIt bid this year. Even if Larry was paid as an average coach in the conference, those results would be inexcusable considering the other investments recently made into our program.

He needs to turn the program around, or he should absolutely be let go after this season (buyout be damned). Young players looked solid and recruiting class should be solid, so he deserves one more year, but if we’re investing like a top 10 program, we need to be making the tournament at least 3/4 years. If Larry can’t do that, it’s time to move on and bring somebody else in that can.

palos_verdes_ute
      Ute Fan
      @palos-verdes-ute

Many metrics can be used –

NBA Players(3)
      Top 4 League Finishes
      Graduation Rate
      NIT Bids
      ETC….

But the one metric that really matters is NCAA Tourney. We are at a pivotal point in the league where the traditional leaders (Arizona/UCLA) are down now.  This is an opportunity for the program to rise and be that perennial tournament team, make our brand name known, and be one of the flagship schools for the conference.

Remember when Oregon was just bad at basketball?

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Coach K killed it this season