Conversation with Covey

Viewing 5 reply threads

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Sorry, I know this subject has been beaten to death, but did anyone catch Covey’s comment on Brewer during yesterday’s interview with Bill Riley?  Britain said he thought Charlie asked the coaches to redshirt the remainder of this year and after he was turned down, he left.  It really doesn’t change anything… just a tidbit of added information.

2 6

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

1 10

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Thumbs down to the book his grandfather wrote which made Utah what it is today?!?? I’m shocked.

UteBacker
          Ute Fan
          @utebacker

I took a course on this book about 25 years ago.  The one thing that has stuck with me is the idea that I shouldn’t give people the power to p**s me off.  This technique has really come in handy during this football season. 

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

I am always impressed that people are diligent with their thumbs down game. I’d love to see a photo of your angry face when you click the button. I’d also love some explanatory notes. Feel free to be verbose. Go, Utes!

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I mean, I understand why he left. I think some people are acting like doing what is best for you from a career standpoint (I mean, he’s not playing in the NFL, he just isn’t, but maybe he still wants to try) is somehow immoral.

Things didn’t work out for Charlie at Utah. I think it was as much the team’s fault as his, but he did was he thought was best for him (I don’t agree because I think it’s unlikely that Rising plays the whole season), and I don’t see why anyone would expect anything more from a guy that has no reason to be loyal to the UofU.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

So let’s say that Brewer is granted a red-shirt and stays with the team, and Cam Rising plays very well.  Then next season with Cam having a few years left, why would Utah then switch back to Brewer?

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

They wouldn’t. The only reason Brewer would stick around would be for depth this season. Had he stuck it out, ever saw the field again and red shirted, he would move next season.

younglurch
      Ute Fan
      @younglurch

This scenario makes little sense to me. Why would Brewer ask for a redshirt this year when he wasn’t injured? There’s nothing in it for Brewer. Let’s say he is granted the redshirt. Next season he’d be in a worse situation than when he transferred here, since Rising would theoretically be the entrenched starter. It would also just prolong his college career in a place he hasn’t succeeded and hurt his pro chances, which already were slim at best.

Plus, as many have already seen, next year our QB room should be very competitive. Rising, Jackson, Johnson, Rose, Barnes, and Costelli will all be looking for the job next year. Add Brewer to that mix and you’ve got a QB mess on your hands.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I guess I don’t fault Brewer for asking for a redshirt (not sure I believe that he did, but it doesn’t really matter whether he did or not)…

But I will say that I totally understand why Whitt would have said no. We’ll have more than enough bodies in the QB room next year without Brewer, one or two will probably transfer after spring ball would be my guess, and we’ll still have plenty of bodies.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Also note, before all the redshirt stuff, there was a player only meeting Sunday. Brewer, as QB1 chose not to speak at all. It may be the first time ever anywhere that QB1 has nothing to say in a player only meeting. That had more to say to the team than any words could say.

It was clear that he wanted a redshirt year to transfer in January, not to spend 2 years at Utah. Keep in mind, he can still play in another game and redshirt, he did not want to make himself available for another game. Whitt has always been consistent, if you are on your way out, go sooner not later. Possibly, he did not want to risk becoming QB3 to diminish transfer potential.

As it turns out, Brewer can pursue opportunities likely in the G5 or FCS without wasting Utah resources. Utah can continue completely focused on their future without a minute wasted on a player seeking other opportunities. It is best for both parties.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Conversation with Covey