Drum and Feather Logo

Viewing 12 reply threads
      12 3

Uteified
      Ute Fan
      @uteified

People comment every so often that they dislike the block U or interlocking U logos. I admit I felt the same way many years ago. But after spending significant time on the east coast, my views shifted.

The drum and feather is cool, but it is ultimately a copy of a NFL team’s former logo (Washington). I found my U gear often getting confused with that team, which annoyed me. I started to gravitate to the interlocking U because it was more distinctive. Anyway, just thought I would throw that out as a counterpoint on the whole logo discussion.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Personally, I prefer the “U of U” or “Utah Utes” logos. There’s no reason for it other than they appeal more to me.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

The interlocking U’s look too much like the logos for teams like Houston & Oklahoma. 

The Drum and Feather may resemble the Redskins logo, but it is a unique and distinctive look among colleges and the Redskins are no more so that isn’t even a comparison anymore. 

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Switching styles back and forth is good for recruiting and player morale. Keep it up!

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

I have soured on the drum and feather logo for the same reason. It somehow never really occurred to me until recently that it was a copycat logo like Geogia’s

Roy Rangum
      Ute Fan
      @royrangum

While I personally really like the drum and feather, I lived on the east coast for a while and had a colleague there who asked me to get him a shirt with the interlocking U’s because he thought it was so cool. So I think you have something there with it being more distinctive.

That said – I’m good with the fact that we currently have a couple of different logos (interlocking U, block U, drum and feather), as I like the options when it comes to gear.

UofU Fanatic
      Ute Fan
      @uofufanatic

I’m definitely more of a drum and feather fan but that’s just a preference.  It all looks good

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Interlocking U for me. It looks like to me there’s a conscious and gradual shift away from drum and feather. Just my view, I’ve seen nothing reported to this effect, but seems like interlocking U getting more use and exposure as of late.

ryynoo
      Ute Fan
      @ryynoo

I agree and prefer the Interlocking U and slightly less the block U

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

Drum and feather > interlocking Us >>>>>>> block U

1 3

MacKidsAlumn
      Ute Fan
      @chris-kellerhsc-utah-edu

I just wish the U could get its branding game together.  Athletics seems to have adopted the interlocking U, campus uses the block U, the health system uses a version of the block U, and drum and feather is still out there in some of the athletics gear.  Pick a logo, stick with it and move on. 

NashvilleUte
        Ute Fan
        @nashvilleute05

I really love the drum and feather logo, but I’m also a realist and know the woke crowd will get us eventually… This clearly isn’t a popular change since I’m sure most of us don’t fall under that heading, but I don’t think we can hide from it forever. I think this is why we’re gradually phasing out the drum and feather and increasing usage of the interlocking U’s. That way when they finally announce the change it won’t feel as drastic maybe?

I’ve also warmed to the interlocking U’s and like it much more than I did in the past. What I don’t like is the block U. As least for athletics. I’m glad it’s moving to being primarily used on the educational side of the university. The block U is pretty plain and generic in my opinion.

I’d rather not lose the drum and feather logo, but if it comes at the expense of valuable recruits who are more swayed by “popular” opinion, then it’s not worth it. But we really should pick something, invest in it and stick with it.

6 2

RustyShackleford
          Ute Fan
          @shakyute13

We can’t let them win. If you think the drum and feather logo is racist you are an insane person who’s opinion shouldn’t matter. Not to get too political but I am sick of the world kowtowing to a very loud violent minority. Now they are coming for my sports logos

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

The best block U with the Ute tribe design.

utah

Italy88
      Ute Fan
      @itacoatiara22

The team you’re referring to is the Redskins.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

I love the Interlocking UU and the Drum & Feather equally.

But I hate the Block U.  I’m so glad they finally took it off the 50-yd line, and midcourt at the JHC.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Drum and Feather Logo