Has Anybody Heard this Rumor About Texas A&M Being Interested in Whitt?

Viewing 7 reply threads

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Seems weird that any team would try to lure him away at this stage of his career.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

They may want him, as many teams probably do, but he’s not going anywhere.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

With aTm that could have been as simple as a reporter overhearing some boosters talking about it a the country club waiting for a tee time. The Admin has no control at that school and the boosters just believe they can buy whatever they want for wins regardless of 50 years of evidence to the contrary. It may actually be the most beautiful dumpster fire in all of sport.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Current look-in at the College Station country club aTm football discussions…

Burning Money

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

So, Billy Liucci, the Executive Editor of TexAgs, who has covered Texas A&M sports since 1997 and is widely viewed as the leading and most connected insider in the A&M market, said late Friday that A&M’s targets for it’s HC position were Mike Elko (Duke HC), Mark Stoops (Kentucky HC), and Whitt. Should we be worried? At A&M, Whitt would have access to unlimited resources and 5 star recruits plus A&M could come close to doubling his paycheck AND he’d be coaching in the best college football conference in the world.

UtahMan17
        Ute Fan
        @utahman17

He’s not going anywhere, except for a lot of time in Hawaii when he retires.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

At atm Whitt doesn’t get paid in perpetuity after retirement. He’s not going anywhere. Whitt will use this as a way to get a raise like he always has, nothing more. Whitt is not a grass is greener guy. At Utah he can go 8-4 and his seat is ice cold. Other places that won’t be the case and Whitt understands that. No need to worry at all.

Gugstanley
          Ute Fan
          @gugstanley

I don’t see Whitt leaving his family and starting a new project this close to retirement

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

I get all that BUT does anyone on this site (besides Chingiskhan) really know how Whitt feels? I get the feeling that he’s a competitive animal and going to A&M would provide him every single resource known to man to win in the college football world. Hopefully Whitt doesn’t even consider it.

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

I don’t know how he feels about football. My family does not talk to him about football. The little I know about his job is things he voluntarily told us (like him saying he hates rubbing elbows with people not on his staff).

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

A&M may be the worst job to come on the market this year. Whoever takes it will need to clean out the locker room if the rumors of player problems are true. There won’t be a honeymoon period since the money people will expect you to win immediately. But winning won’t be enough, you’ll have to win impressively. As well as somehow overcoming the Texas inferiority complex the school has.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

@Miami…. Whit has 1 maybe 2 years left if we are lucky. He has said numerous times that he wants to retire @ 65 and play with his grandkids. His home is here, family, he’s not a money guy (obviously he wants to get paid what he’s worth as any one should), but what I mean is he’s a simple dude. He wants to take Utah to the playoff and ride off into the sunset. He’s not interested in a re-build that goes for Utah also. Which is why Cam coming back was so big. Now Kuithe and most of the team. I truly believe we have a very good chance to win the Big 12 next year and makes the playoffs especially with it expanding to 12. Then whit will have a choice. Coach one more year and prep Scalley. Or hang them up. I would put almost anything that he doesn’t coach more than 2 years…..

A&M is a dumpster fire. Yes they have everything. Except culture. That takes time to build years. Whit isn’t signing up for that at this stage of his career. Maybe 10 years ago. But not now.

Also, whit should get a raise what he did to get our team to 8 wins only losing to two type 5 teams another top 15 and OSU who is top 25 three of which were on the road is remarkable.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Whitt has spent 20+ years building Utah into a playoff team.

Next year Utah is a playoff team.

I don’t see him walking away when he is this close.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I tend to agree with you. I don’t see why he would leave now when he has had similar opportunities before with less incentive to stay.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

The only thing I could say to that is that before, he could theoretically kick the can down the road. He could turn down USC or Tenn but at the same time leave the door cracked in case an interesting opportunity came along.
          Given his age, that’s no longer the case. If A&M comes calling for him, it’s now or never. That alone, in my view, might make him think twice.

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

that is true… If he has that itch to scratch, and that itch is stronger than the itch to get Utah to the playoff, he might do it.

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

IF he’s gonna leave…it isn’t for A&M.

A&M has money…but Utah is a better program. Better players, better chance to win, better shot at the playoffs. I’m not even sure A&M’s facilities are significantly better.

So, he’d be leaving 100% for the money. And he’s had a ton of chances to leave for the money. I don’t know why he’d leave now, when he has a lifetime contract at Utah.

The only place I’d see Whitt leave for is a blue blood. Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Penn St, Alabama. That’s about it.

Look at it this way: He isn’t going to leave to go build something. He did that at Utah and now he is on the top. Utah is the best team in the Big 12. Why leave a playoff team to go rebuild A&M? That is a 3-5 year job to get to where Utah is.

If Whitt leaves, it’s for a program already on top, and he is going for a national title. Not to build anything.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Well that was anti-climatic.

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

They hired Elko, HC from Duke who was past DC at A&M.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Yeap. He was the second guy on their list. I’m guessing if he hadn’t signed on that Whitt would have been their next target. I was kind of hoping that A&M would take Fisch away from Zona.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Let Arizona keep Fisch. I’m starting to like the idea of beating a really good Arizona team to get to the first Big-12 championship game. I’m not expecting Colorado or Arizona State to be world beaters in 2024 so having another former PAC team be in the mix will help perception.

The next few years will be all about setting Utah up for the next round of realignment and right now the perception is that the 4 corner schools were relegated to the Big-12 while the other 4 were moved up to the B1G. Being among the best of a strong conference can only help.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Has Anybody Heard this Rumor About Texas A&M Being Interested in Whitt?