Here’s something crazy

Viewing 4 reply threads

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Per 247 recruiting guru Steve Bartle, Florida has NEVER had a recruiting class rated lower than Utah’s program highest rated class from last year.

Development and coaching REALLY DO make THAT big of a difference.

When Whitt hangs up the calves and retires, I hope whoever Utah hires can keep that going.

Go Utes, Beat Baylor!!

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I agree. I think that it is very likely Scalley will be our next head coach. He has learned from the best, so I hope he can keep it going.

UofU Fanatic
        Ute Fan
        @uofufanatic

What are your thoughts if Andy Ludwig steps up to head coach with even Whittingham admitting the game is more offensive these days? Plus Ludwig was seen shopping at ND etc (supposedly) so he is valuable as well. And then there was the racist remarks that Scalley had some years back that hopefully never happen again and becomes forgotten.

Personally I’d be happy with either keeping utah football culture going

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Ludwig is not HC material nor does he want to be one…believe it or not, there are plenty of guys like that…guys who just want to work on their craft and not be the face of an organization. If Ludwig wanted to be an HC, he could have been one many years ago…Scalley will be the next Utah HC unless something unforeseen takes place between now and then.

stbone
          Ute Fan
          @stbone

As a quick aside, Scalley isn’t racist, and so his remarks aren’t racist. Offensive, yes. Racist, no.

Aside from that, our recruiting has continued to improve since Scalley’s texts became public, and so those texts appear to mostly be a non-event that I wouldn’t use as a guide in making any decision.

The problem I see with Ludwig is that he is not much younger that Whittingham, and so he would likely only be a short-term solution. Whether Scalley or somebody else, I believe we should have a long-term solution that allows for the possibility of stability and continuity. Additionally, I think we should also hire a coach who builds upon our brand, as opposed to changes it, which points me towards a defense-focused coach.

What I like about Scalley is that he reflects the change in the game within the Utah brand of toughness and defense. Since he took over the defense, we are experiencing a shift to more passing-focused defense. This includes changing from our base 4-3 to a base nickel, and the significant increase in playing zone defense. We have also experienced a shift in the types of players developed (especially) at the LB and SS positions, slowly moving away from box defenders to individuals who are excellent pass rushers and solid defenders in space as opposed to primarily run stoppers. (Maybe that would have happened either way, but it seems to have largely happened with Scalley at the helm) I think Scalley, or somebody like him (Jim Leonard) could maintain and expand our brand while adjusting to the changing game.

22Ute22
        Ute Fan
        @utedagoat

Let’s just hope he isn’t the next Jimmy Lake

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Jimmy Lake had two things going against him that I hope Scalley – if he is the next coach – doesn’t repeat:

1) Lake was an arrogant ass. That was cute as a position coach but didn’t work as the face of the program.
          2) He was forced to keep the same staff as his predecessor. There are lots of egos on a coaching staff and not everyone can handle working for someone that used to be their peer. Based on comments Ludwig has made, he’ll leave whenever Whitt does so that side of the ball will have a significant makeover. The defensive guys are probably more comfortable with Scalley at this point so as long as there isn’t any resentment at one of them being promoted to DC.,,

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

The only places we can consistently have a competitive advantage in college football are coaching and the defensive line. We can have as much talent as anyone in those two areas and they’ve anchored our success for a long time now.

perceptionate
      Ute Fan
      @perceptionate

I think that the state of Utah has a lot of good players that are trainable, physical, and high IQ — but just don’t translate to high recruiting stars out of high school. This also explains why BYU (with abysmal recruiting rankings) can sometimes (albeit rarely) put together good teams.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

When Whitt hangs them up (1-3 years) Lud rides off with him…I’d bet my house on that.
        Scalley is almost assuredly your next HC so the question becomes who will be your coordinators (I love the Sherriff but he won’t be your next DC imo).

If Whitt has the year he’s counting on, Im not sure he takes us into the B12.

All conjecture on my part with none of this rooted in fact. It’s gonna be interesting either way.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

That would be an interesting development indeed…especially seeing how much money Whitt would be leaving on the table after his last extension…personally, and I have zero insights into the program, I would think that he would see out his contract and then fully retire. That being said, and I hesitate to comment on this because I don’t want to jinx it, if Whitt someway/somehow won the NCG this season, I could definitely see him calling it a day. After that sort of season, there’s only one way you can go…

prestitute
      Ute Fan
      @prestitute

Rating inflation is a real thing, too. The difference between some of the 3 and 4 stars and some of the 3, 4, and 5 star guys is usually more around questions vs. proven results at a point. There are way too many people who UNDERATE our talent (and I am fine with that). Our coaches are great at looking at measurable, character/work ethic, and projecting to the right spots, imo. A lot of our 3 stars are more like 4-5 stars. Like Ty Jordan, there is NO WAY he was really a 3 star. Seeing Ty with the ball in his hand, it was just clear that he had the capability to beat anyone on the field on any given play.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Ty Jordan was 0.883 in the composite which is just under a 4 star (.89). It’s not like he was overlooked.

I’d imagine that 5’7″ was the main knock against him.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Here’s something crazy