Honestly, what is Jayce Johnson’s target situation?

Viewing 8 reply threads

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Is he looking for a P5 or upper-tier G5 school that has a 1-year crisis at center, or is he just aiming to be a star at a Weber State caliber school/conference?  I just don’t see the upside for him leaving Utah after learning Coach Kodiak’s system and seeming to make some fairly big improvement in the past 12 months.  Did Coach K say some frosh would take his starting spot?

Major head scratcher.

2 6

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Exactly. He is leaving because possibly anything is better than the situation he currently is in. Not a good look for Utah at all. 

1 2

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I don’t see how him transferring means anything is better than Utah. There are a lot of reasons he could transfer that don’t reflect negatively on Utah at all.

Next year we’ll have a 7 ft 4 guy that will be just as good at standing under the basket and getting in the way of opposing players.

I don’t get why everyone is stressing over this, he isn’t that good at all. He played hard on defense, but still wasn’t that great. He hardly ever blocked shots… and he was terrible on offense.

1 3

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Yeah I want to believe this but Larry has already created a pattern of this kind of behavior. It doesn’t make sense. 

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

I can’t think that it is anything other than him being straight up with guys telling them they won’t get as much PT as they are used to. If he was enough of a jerk to just make guys want to leave, you would think that the word would get out, and kids would stop coming.

UteThunder
              Ute Fan
              @utethunder

No. Look at Majerus. Word was out on his behavior for years and he never really struggled to recruit kids until the very end. High school kids are going to believe what they want to believe, not what the media or a former player who sounds like sour grapes is telling them.

UteManX
        Ute Fan
        @utemanx

Lets just say his parents thought he would develop quicker under Larry K. He is not unhappy with being on the team or his situation, it is more he is being influenced. It is sad to see him go, but we will fill his spot. I do not anticipate anyone else leaving. 

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

I think he is just sending out feelers. 

What is the story with the Transfer Portal? Can players dip a toe in, just to see if they can get any interest?  Would JJ need to cram in a bunch of classes to become a grad transfer after Summer, or is he actually close to graduating now?

Staples
        Ute Fan
        @staples

Jayce was an early entry so he very well could be close to graduating.

CincyUte
        Ute Fan
        @cincyute

I think he’s just doing it because it sounds cool.  “Jayce has entered the portal.”  Awesome.

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

Players are free to enter the transfer portal at any time and can opt to return to their team if they choose to. However, while a player is in the portal, the school can pull their scholarship if they choose to.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

The only thing I don’t get is the fan reaction. Everybody blamed Jayce for everything all year long, and now we’re having kittens that he’s leaving? Which is it?

I’m sure he was a nice kid, but as a basketball player, I won’t miss him one bit.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I’m not having kittens.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

It is just another excuse for Larry. Also having developed senior you hope for good things. Idk. Holding out hope for the kid. He was the only nice thing against Oregon. 

mesovanhorny
      Ute Fan
      @mesovanhorny

The big question I have is…who will be our center?  Battin? Van Komen?

Yergensen
        Ute Fan
        @yergensen

I hope Lahat Thione is the reason.  Realistically, Coach K replaces this unathletic, blue collar player’s minutes with another (Van Komen).  Both Coach K and Whit have blind spots for players like them.

EastCoastUte
      Ute Fan
      @eastcoastute

Jayce is looking at his options but is currently “looking” due to personal reasons. Not because of Coach K’s “system” @battlegroundute says it is or any team problems.

as for your 7’4 guy. I genuinely don’t know why Coach picked him. because he may be one of the top recruits in Utah but he played in an under armour invitation match and literally got dunked on by a vegas player that was 6’9. That being said, hes probably just an average player else where but because of height and in a state full of majority of white high school bball kids (not being racist but lets be honest here). the competition isn’t as good as compared, California.

McBride of Frankenstein
      Ute Fan
      @mcbrideoffrankenstein

My hypothesis is he is leaving based on the incoming talent.  Just a hypothesis…..

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Let’s hope that’s it.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Sounds like coach is losing a top recruiting assistant, and an assistant coach as well.

4 2

loyter
      Ute Fan
      @loyter

Maybe he has a dream of playing in the NCAA and he knows that’s not within Larry’s realm of capability.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Signed, Jakob Poeltl.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Makes you wonder if Larry’s 2 NCAA bids are in spite of his coaching abilities. LOL

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Honestly, what is Jayce Johnson’s target situation?