Huntley vs Wilson

Viewing 8 reply threads
      2 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

It isn’t really a fair comparison but give me your reasons Wilson apologists. I want some stats or some facts on why Wilson is better.

When I say unfair comparison I mean that Wilson plays for the poo poo team with a poo poo schedule.

UtemanUtefan
      Ute Fan
      @utemanutefan

I think it’s going to be really hard for the average fan to comment the way a coach would, we don’t the same things they see in the film room and we don’t know if said QB has been coached to throw it a certain way.

Wilson’s first INT was completely his fault, tried to throw his way out of trouble. His second INT looked like the receiver was supposed to stop on a route and didn’t or went too deep on a shallow route and the DB undercut, maybe not entirely his fault. The fumble he looked like he was holding it by his fingertips, it was raining by this point (iirc) so who knows. Otherwise he tends to make good decisions from what I’ve seen, especially in the escape/run game.

Huntley knows what’s expected of him, don’t throw into double coverage, make your reads and go. He makes great decisions and has excellent ball security. We didn’t need him to go out and win the game, and he didn’t try to hero ball, that’s a win.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Utah was daring Wilson to throw and wanted hmm to stay in the pocket. I still believe Wilson isn’t a QB at Utah. The risks he takes and injury potential he exposes himself to. His passes have huge risk. Don’t forget the two dropped INTs as well. Burgess didn’t expect Wilson to throw it right at him.

UtemanUtefan
          Ute Fan
          @utemanutefan

I don’t think he’s better than Huntley or Love and certainly not at a P5 skill level, but he’s a perfect ‘good enough’ for BYU to get to 6-6 this year.

4 1

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

In all fairness, ZW is not on a very good team. Not sure he would be any better on Utah considering the poor receiver development on Utah. IMO, Huntley is handicapped more by the lack of a passing supporting cast than his ability. Not really the WRs fault as they are excellent athletes. They are not getting coached up or developed.

TH can sling it with accuracy. He has not had great coaching up until now either. I am hopeful we will see game to game improvement as Ludwig gets TH dialed in. Wondering if Ludwig is realizing he does not have much to work with on the receiving end so is scheming accordingly until these WRs get coached up. I hope KW allows Ludwig to bring in his own coach next year to take over the receivers. That said, given all things equal, TH is a much better QB than ZW. I am purely a fan coaching from the couch…Go Utes! 🙂

1 1

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

IMO, you can in no way make a comparison.  They play for two totally different systems and coaches. Ever since Travis Wilson threw six interceptions in a close loss to UCLA, KW does not allow his QBs to take many chances. He despises turnovers.  Huntley is not allowed to be too aggressive. Consequently, he will likely never throw for 400 yards like Love did Friday night. But, then again, he threw a PI late that cost the Aggies the game. Wilson will be allowed to take some chances.  He likely will have more passing yards than Huntley. 

Just my two cents and it’s probably not worth that much. 

1 1

AUtahManSir
      Ute Fan
      @autahmansir

Wilson had 2 pick sixes and 3 more picks that were dropped.  He is aggressive, but reckless.  Huntley played within himself.  Wilson has a higher ceiling than Huntley, but he is clearly the lesser QB right now.  Moss won the game. Wilson’s mistakes increased the win margin.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

You can’t simply use yards and TDs as the only metric to measure how good a QB is.

Utah had a game plan on Thursday and it was called Zach Moss. Huntley was just a game manager.

13/16 110 yards with no TOs and two huge drops

He made mistakes no doubt. Missed a wide open receiver on the 4th down play where he got crushed deep in Utah territory. He didn’t keep his head up he need to stay in the pocket but instead he got happy feet and tried to run.

But overall a decent game by Huntley

wcrunner
      Ute Fan
      @wcrunner

Pro Football Focus uses a myriad of analytical stats.  They have Jordan Love at 20, Huntley 27 and Wilson 30.  It’s a good article and was worth my time.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

The only thing he does better is he can make more than one read. He also keeps his eyes down field while scrambling.

crazyute
      Ute Fan
      @crazyute

I think wilson gets local media hype. He is ok but not great.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Huntley vs Wilson