I believe Isaac Wilson is our QB of the future

Viewing 8 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I thought that he was very good watching him play last season at Corner Canyon. He is a baller, very competitive, smart and athletic. I have no idea when his surgery will take place. I am sure that the family would like it to happen sooner than later. If he does have the surgery in the next month or two, he will likely not be ready to play in 2024. Hopefully Rising stays healthy throughout the season.

I believe that one day he will be an excellent QB for the Utes. He is as skilled as any Freshman QB at Utah since Scott Mitchell IMO. I always liked Huntley, but his body was not ready when he first arrived. Of course that changed and he became an excellent QB. I look forward to seeing Isaac play at Utah.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Ditto…

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Agreed, @Proud. He looked very good in the spring game.

RedUte14
      Ute Fan
      @redute14

some of his passes seemed underthrown? am i wrong on that?

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

were they caught? If so, that is good enough for me from a true freshman QB

RedUte14
          Ute Fan
          @redute14

i thought the decision making was really good.
          i was more curious if it seemed underthrown, or was placed well?

//r00t4Utes
            Ute Fan
            @r00t4utes

I remember 2 slightly high/overthrown balls, I believe his first pass to Lyons, which was still catchable, but Lyons wasn’t able to bring it down.

BD
        Ute Fan
        @flyfisherman

Regarding the long underthrown pass for a TD, someone on the Deseret News comment forums posted this:

“Against a two high safety look, Wilson threw the receiver open to the inside, a smart, high percentage throw.”

I don’t have enough football understanding to comment on that opinion, but I was curious if anyone else thinks the same thing.

8 2

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Cover 2 means corners start at 5 yards off the LOS and are responsible for the flat and shallow (up to 10 yard) patterns while passing off the deeper routes to the safeties who have deep half coverage. In a game, the DB’s will try to disguise it better but I believe the D was only running cover-2 so it’s not like anyone should have gotten fooled.

The ball to Calderella was underthrown. Whether that was Wilson’s intent is up to speculation. However from the clip I saw, the corner (16?) doubled the RB to the flat while 18 bit on Calderella’s slow release allowing him to run free while 42 covered King’s vertical down the hash. With the whole third available to the QB throwing to an uncovered receiver, a pass which required the receiver to slow his momentum and turn towards the one defender who could potentially leave his man (42) and make a play on the ball doesn’t seem like the most desirable option.

Typically, a QB will try to underthrow when he thinks the defender will be in tight(er) coverage with his back to the ball and will aim for the opposite side of the DB’s leverage. I would say that a better explanation is that Calderella was so wide open and Wilson “took too much off” trying to avoid an overthrow as the defenders had already taken themselves out of the play. Think Bentley to Covey against WSU in the Drew Lisk game. Covey was so wide open that Bentley threw a high arcing ball that Covey almost had to fair catch before trusting his speed to take it to the house. Because even a 20 yard completion that the defenders can recover and make a play on is more desirable than a potential house call thwarted by a ball the receiver can never catch up to.

That’s as charitable as I can get because the defense didn’t provide any reason for that ball to be thrown short and to the inside. As for the DN commenter you beat 2 high with slants, verts and deep outs away from the safety. That ball turned a vert into a deep in which played into the strength of the defense.

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

Wow, I didn’t realize how knowledgeable you are with football…thanks for the great post! Please share more of that football knowledge…you obviously played at one point. I didn’t but love learning from you guys that did…thanks!

Dresden_Stormblessed
              Ute Fan
              @dresden

Didn’t realize you’d want some more in-depth stuff.

I’d be open to doing some crucial play breakdowns every now and then. Like where the mistake actually was compared to what we as fans saw.

MDUte
                Ute Fan
                @mdute

Yes please! Would love that!

Dresden_Stormblessed
                  Ute Fan
                  @dresden

Sure thing.

Since it’s spring anyway, let’s do a test run. What play would you want a breakdown of? I’d obviously invite others to give their take as well.

MDUte
                    Ute Fan
                    @mdute

For example, 2008 National Champion posted a play where all of our Secondary (except one cover corner I believe) were badly out of position. He made the comment that it would likely result in running gassers after the team’s next film session. I’d be curious to know more about the technicalities behind our defense. Such as who has responsibility for what when in cover 2 and pointing out the ripple effect from one guy getting out of position and not taking care of his job. The average viewing fan, like myself, just sees a missed tackle or some opposing offensive player ending up wide open and not really knowing who missed their assignment or what led to the blown coverage. It all makes sense when the TV analysts review a play in slow motion and break everything down. But when it’s live, it’s often times hard to tell…or at least it is for me haha. Another example that I’m unsure about has to do with LB responsibilities in different coverages. If it’s a run play, doesn’t it mostly come down to DL gap integrity and eating up blocks so the LBs can make the play/tackle? And so if we have poor DL play or poor gap integrity, isn’t this putting our LBs in difficult positions to not be able to make the play but everyone blames it on the LB being out of position or missing a tackle when in reality the blame really should be placed on our DTs or a DE? Or what if it’s RPO and the QB fakes the hand off and looks to make the quick pass to either the slant or to the flat? Depending on what coverage we are running, I find myself unsure of if the LBs responsible for the RB coming out of the backfield to the flat for a screen pass or if the LBs responsible for covering their TE and our SS has responsibility for the RB? I realize I’m just throwing out a lot generalities and you are asking for a specific play to break down. But it’s just really cool when you guys who are “in the know” share your insights with the rest of us. Maybe most don’t care or are interested in the Xs and Os to that level. But I think there are at least a few of us that would love to increase in our football knowledge, if possible.

2008 National Champ
                      Ute Fan
                      @cptmrgn05

The biggest problem with any breakdown is that none of us know the play call. All we can do is try to interpret based on what happened, what should have happened. i.e., in the reporting for the spring game it was mentioned that the D was only playing cover 2 and not blitzing. So I had to assume the most vanilla of responsibility assignments and who should go where. The reality is that if that same play had been live action instead of simulated, we would have seen at least one LB on a greendog when the 2nd RB showed max protect, the motion may have triggered an audible to a different coverage, etc.

But you can still glean a lot even when everyone is supposed to be just running the basics. If you look at Blocker’s technique pre-snap, his hips are open to the LOS and he has outside leverage on his receiver which would indicate cover 3 or cover 4. When the back goes in motion, he doesn’t turn to the LOS which further indicates that he will be in a backpedal to let no one behind him in his area of responsibility. And yet at the snap he doesn’t deepen while at the same time he doesn’t cover either the receiver or the back (one key for cover 2 is that everyone running a route gets “bumped” but that may not have been in the rules for the game since no one had their route affected). So I have to assume that he completely blew his coverage since he only managed to cover air but it’s no more than an educated guess.

MDUte
                        Ute Fan
                        @mdute

Love it! You’re a wealth of knowledge…thanks Champ!

RoboUte
                Ute Fan
                @hamplate

Personally I love that type of content. And so do a lot of other people, this guy is having a lot of success doing stuff like that

BD
            Ute Fan
            @flyfisherman

Thanks for the detailed description. It’s really interesting.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

This is the clip I described from. I find it interesting to do “stop-action” so that you can see how each player reacts to what it happening. On the clip, if you can time your pause for the 4 second mark, you see Blocker in full sprint at the 25, Allen in full sprint at the 20, and Calderella turned like he is fielding a punt at the 13. 42 is in the center of the field and King has cleared everyone. Every defender to the field should be doing gassers on Monday since it was a total breakdown in coverage.

However, the Boundary Corner did an excellent job with his receiver so it wasn’t a complete failure. But no receiver(s) should ever be that wide open when you have 7 defender to cover 5 and the safeties only job is to make sure that no one gets deeper than they are.

<p lang=”en” dir=”ltr”>A beautiful ball from Wilson puts the White Team on the board!#GoUtes pic.twitter.com/HnbAI26fqt</p>— Utah Football (@Utah_Football) April 13, 2024

<script async src=”https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js&#8221; charset=”utf-8″></script>

2008 National Champ
                Ute Fan
                @cptmrgn05

Tony, what did I do wrong. I thought if all the tags said twitter instead of X, that it would just show the clip?

RoboUte
            Ute Fan
            @hamplate

Two people actually thought “wow, f**k this information.”

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

🎶 I believe that Isaac Wilson is are our future. Teach him well and let him lead the way. Show him all the beauty he possess inside. 🎶

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Does anyone know the recovery timeframe on the surgery? If it’s not too long, it’s possible he suits up this season and has the surgery next off season to be ready to start next year.

Dresden_Stormblessed
        Ute Fan
        @dresden

Someone posted that they had the same injury and the recovery is actually significant post-surgery. 4-6 months I think

Italy88
        Ute Fan
        @itacoatiara22

Yes, I had the same surgery. Recovery is brutal. With the cadaver bone placement, your leg has to stay locked straight for as long as possible. In my instance, it was locked straight three weeks post-op and then gradually allowed to bend (only when sitting or laying down). Not allowed to bend when walking for 6-8 weeks.
        The problem with that is the knee gets extremely tight after not bending that long and takes some very painful physical therapy to get loosened back up.
        Isaac is much younger get than me and will do better I’m sure. For reference though, I was not out of shape, and was an avid marathoner.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

I guess it’s possible to have the surgery in January and be back for fall camp then.

Dresden_Stormblessed
      Ute Fan
      @dresden

My take: he’s absolutely the future.

For this year, I would put all cards on the table for Cam to annihilate defenses. I would be very clear with my quarterbacks and say Wilson is the #2 but we’re going to redshirt him this year so he can have his surgery and come back and compete next spring. That means Rose, you’re #2. And heaven-forbid Cam gets hurt again, which let’s be honest…is more likely than not at this point, the offense is yours. And it’s up to you to keep it from Isaac come next Spring. Both of you need to learn as much as you can from Cam. Surgery is planned for mid-season so Isaac can get some time in hopefully, gets the most time learning from Cam, and Rose gets secured at QB2.

I think Rose needs to be realistic in that our QBs are used in running often. He has the best arm of the group apparently but not the best decision making. So his chances of seeing the field here are quite high comparatively. Hopefully because we outscore opponents like crazy and he can have the entire 4th quarter or more.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

It’s not necessarily a given that Cam will be out for a prolonged period any time this year. I mean, look at Penix when he was at Indiana and what he did in Washington. When he was in Indiana, Penix suffered season ending injuries all four seasons he was the starter there (including ACL tears to both knees in different seasons). When he was at Washington, he didn’t miss a snap during his two seasons there.

Rick Walker
          Ute Fan
          @big2890

I think it boils down to how well the big boys up front protect him and how physical (or lack thereof) he is when running the ball.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

That’s it Rick. Usually, and I can speak from experience, after you suffer a major injury that keeps you out for an extended period of time, discretion becomes the better part of valor.

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

Personally, I’m kind of hoping Cam uses more discretion this coming year like Penix did his final year. We need him to make it through the whole season to accomplish what we’re all hoping for. I realize Cam still needs to be Cam. But he can get out of bounds vs trying to pick up an extra couple of yards and take a hit. And he can slide more often to also avoid unnecessary hits. I like the word you used…discretion. Doesn’t need to completely stop being Cam…just use a little more discretion this year.

Uteanooga
      Ute Fan
      @uteanooga

What surgery, specifically, is Wilson going to have?

Is this what he is considering or waiting for?

Cartilage Transplants – Allograft (from cadaver)

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Watching him rear back with a defender being pushed to the side and really drive the ball down the middle of the field between two defenders for a TD…

Not many QB’s can make that throw, even less have the balls to try that throw and even less complete that throw.

F**king beautiful.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I believe Isaac Wilson is our QB of the future