I gotta move on from this NIL stuff but….

Viewing 4 reply threads

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

“Players should have to sit a year, sign two year contracts to play for OUR team.” Average opinion on internet.

Yet if I say: Coaches should have to sit a year after they sign a deal. They can’t leave until two year commitment is done.

Network talking heads have to sit if they switch networks. You can’t simply let your lead Big12 anchor go to BSPN over night. They should have to sit.

I know how we make it fair. Just add student in front of it. Then they are students and we can violate all sorts of laws in the name of fairness and tradition and other useless stuff.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

If a coaches or talking heads contract gives them an out, then that’s in the contract. If their contract that they signed required them to sit, then they’d have to. College kids aren’t dumb. They know what they’re getting into. Kinda hard to call it a violation of law if they get what they sign up for.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Why don’t they put these same lines of nonsense in the coaches and media hacks?

I know my point is oversimplified and straw man. It is the same thing as saying well kids signed it. They committed. So let’s add a bunch of rules.

It’s all business and I really hope the kids have wised up to know better. I don’t think CBA’s or expansive contracts would benefit the kids or the sport.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

If the contract has a buy out clause that’s executed, then no one can really complain. You see numerous “non-compete” contracts in the business world that stop people from moving from one job to another in the same line of work within a specified period of time. It’s all about having a contract. Yeah, coaches leave all of the time but they’re not leaving scot-free like players are doing now via the portal.

A guy working at McDonald’s could be the best burger flipper in the world but isn’t going to have a contract so he can leave whenever he wants. Same with a guy selling cars or a guy working on a construction crew.

It’s like someone posted recently here about players…they want big boy money but don’t want to play by big boy rules.

alexsmith
      Ute Fan
      @alexsmith

The biggest difference is that players SHOULD BE going to school to be a student, not to be a semi-pro athlete. Coaches, broadcasters, etc. are going to be a professional. It’s the same idea of you switching companies to make more money or have better opportunities.

For college athletes, we’ve seen the student part become less of a priority in the name student-athlete.

That being said, if this is going to be a semi pro thing then make it semi pro with contracts and such. But if they’re going to be student athletes, then transferring should have a focus behind academics (unless dire circumstances like coaching leave, etc.), not running for the money because then it’s no longer a student athlete idea.

Again, just one guys opinion.

1 1

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

if they are STUDENT-athletes, then they have the same rights and freedom of movement as the rest of the student population. A typical student is allowed to earn as much income as they can, an athlete has been restricted. A typical student is allowed to change schools for any reason they deem necessary, at athlete has been restricted.
        The portal and NIL have addressed the issues of school movement and income.

The fact that interested observers who have little to no current connection to either the school(s) or the athlete(s) in question are upset that they are not able to guarantee who will be on the next year’s roster?

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I agree. It sucks for college sports, but the players deserve to be paid for whatever legal thing people will pay them for, and they deserve to be able to change colleges as often as they want.

If that results in the evolution of college football into official minor league football teams that are no longer affiliated with schools, so be it. That is perfectly fine with me. I have zero affiliation with any school that has ever done anything relevant in the sports world. My Ute fandom is not tied to the school in any way. If they break of from the University and just become the Utah Utes, Utah Redhawks, Utah Stormin Mormins or whatever I’ll be fine with that

At the University of Utah football program, we have enjoyed MORE than our fair share of stability over the last couple of years, at least on paper. We underwent a ton of roster turnover after 2019. Then we thought we had it figured out in 2020 with Ty, then tragedy struck multiple times, and we’ve had essentially the same team since Cam took over. Cam is somehow still our QB next year even though he had already been out of high school for two years by the time he took over for Brewer. We’ve been rather fortunate in terms of being able to keep our guys on our roster rather than losing them to the NFL or the portal. Our coaching staff stability has been a huge benefit to the program as well. As long as we have that, this team will be fine.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I gotta move on from this NIL stuff but….