i know there are a lot of Utah fans worried about the pac 12 being the only

Viewing 3 reply threads
      7 1

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

league not playing if the b10 reverses (which isnt happening, but even if it did..)

im really not worried about it at all. I am very confident the season will either be cancelled across all leagues or altered DRASTICALLY with several teams sitting out multiple games with outbreaks. Its going to hurt week 1 and 2 seeing other teams play…..but seeing the numbers come out of campuses as students return, athletes out and about amongst them, it really feels inevitable it becomes a complete throwaway season

Outside of that, im obviously devastated i dont get to watch this team on saturdays this fall. Im already worried about the pac 12 being able to compete at a financial deficit and general lack of fan interest within our own footprint compared to b10/sec, but I dont think this will end up exacerbating that 

21 8

Utebeam
      Ute Fan
      @utebeam

Here’s my take. Those other schools will have outbreaks. Teams will get sick….but they will also get to herd immunity quicker than those that have essentially “shut down”. Assuming nothing changes and no vaccine when the P12 starts playing in the spring they’ll have the same problems the other teams are having now. You don’t avoid the virus you just delay when you get it. You either decide that you’re willing to risk potential long term effects of the virus and move forward or you just mothball it for one or two years.

Personally I think this whole thing has gotten way too political. The virus, while contagious, is not a threat to most groups of people. It’s the elderly and comorbid group that are at risk. We can protect them and move on with our lives. And yes there’s always the exception, that one healthy person that dies. We are making huge sacrifices for a very small portion of our population.

5 2

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Herd immunity makes this go away.  We need 70 to 80% of the herd to block and not pass on covid as they get it to reduce covid to very low numbers.  Asymptomatic people may have enough memory from the past 6 coronaviruses to effectively block covid.  Next, recovered patients have memory from shedding the covid they recently had.  Last, a vaccine could be effective for about half that receive it.  (Note that the other coronaviruses do not have vaccines yet even with years of trying, however, that work is defiantly moving us closer to success).  As folks from all three groups reach 70 to 80%, the covid passes away as has all others for eons of time.  Hopefully, modern medicine helps first to save more lives of those that get sick but also contributes to the needed herd immunity with a significant success via vaccines.  I am guessing that nature will get us there a bit before 2 full flu seasons, if the vaccine comes sooner, I think we can make this shorter.  I would hate to think that without a vaccine and slowing the growth of recovered patients, we push herd immunity out to 3 full seasons.  Waiting for a vaccine alone feels strange as a plan A, but can be a part of plan A.

1 3

UtMtBiker
          Ute Fan
          @utmtbiker

This is junk science and not at all factual. I respect your right to have a poorly formed oppinion but you should make it clear that its purely speculative. This kind of statement confuses people to the actual facts and scientificly proven methods to be safe.

I won’t argue each point but given that there are now confirmed cases of people getting COVID19 for the second time, and some within 3 months, the argument for herd immunity would require 80 percent of the population to get the virus within a 3 to 4 month period. Our HC system could barely handle far less than one percent of the population during the first 3 months of the outbreak. How do think it would go with 80 times the hospitalizations?

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Are you saying that people are getting the same strain of COVID twice?

6 1

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Shall be interesting. Either way, P12 fans are getting a front row seat to a classic example of how a once prominent organization goes out of business. I would not be surprised if there was some sort of big conference shake up in the next year completely dissolving the P12.

2 1

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I agree. The Big 12 will benefit from that shake up.

4 6

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

6 1

UrbanLiar
      Ute Fan
      @urbanliar

FYI I’m one of the current phase 3 vaccine trial participants. They administered an initial vaccine 3 weeks ago. They’ll administer a booster vaccine in 10 days. They’re monitoring me daily via an app plus a series of blood draws to see how successful each vaccine produces antibodies. By mid October they’ll have all of my data plus 29,999 other volunteers. I remain hopeful for FDA approval of a vaccine and distribution starting near the year end. I believe the vaccine is the quickest way to achieve herd immunity.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Thank you for helping develop this.  A vaccine is our best hope for a big building block for herd immunity.  In the war against covid we need every block we can find to get to 70% because recent vaccines have been 53% effective at best.  Still, that is a huge benefit, we just need to push beyone 70%.  Vaccines that have been 20% effective are still very helpful but do leave us shour of herd immunity.  If one of the developing vaccines are successful it is like the biggest ladder in ‘shutes and ladders’.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football i know there are a lot of Utah fans worried about the pac 12 being the only