Impact freshmen 2023?

Viewing 2 reply threads

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

This last season we had Vaki and Barton. We have more talent coming in than ever before, but I just don’t see how any of them get a starting spot simply because of how deep our team is. We have potential spots up for grabs at WR and CB, but those will almost certainly be filled be last years back ups or incoming transfers.

Anyone disagree? I just don’t see any room for a new kid to squeeze into the starting lineup. 2024 on the other hand? We are going to see some HUGE competitions for PT.

Damn guys… we are so so so much better than we were just a few years ago. We have Cam, Johnson, Barnes, Rose, and Howard at QB. We have JJ, Bernard… and like 3 or 4 4 star guys at RB. An embarrassment of riches on the OL… mountains of talent on the DL. It’s just ridiculous how much talent this team has.

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @utebiquitous

Two freshmen come to my mind. Spencer Fano could start on the offensive line. If not, he’ll compete for time. I also think Mikey Matthews will break into the lineup, perhaps not as a starter but in the wide receiver rotation.

I also think CJ Blocker and Smith Snowden will push the upperclassmen in the cornerback room. I don’t think either will start. If Blocker is here for spring ball I give him the edge on Smith who won’t join the team officially until fall camp.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

If I were to pick freshmen that might have a big impact, I would have picked those guys as well. Fano is our highest rated recruit in this class, and Matthews/blocker/Snowden all play at positions where there is some level of uncertainty about the talent level of the returning players.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I completely agree with Rick.  I think these four guys will all be impactful this season.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I feel impact can come without being a starter. I have always felt Whitt understands playing 2s when they become very close to the starters. He has always done this with the DL, throughout the D and RBs. Understanding it is a long season and there is considerable wear and tear it makes sense to substitute when possible. Better depth provides more opportunities. I feel we can do more when games are in control. At Colorado, I was so disappointed to see Kincaid in the game late. The impact from freshmen and transfers as well as those we are developing I would like to see is keeping us competitive while spelling our starters so we can roll into the postseason much more healthy than before. I am even open to OL substitutions more than we have seen in the past. Much rather see mistakes that don’t not hurt us if it keeps even 1 more guy all the way through the postseason.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Impact freshmen 2023?