Is anyone else concerned that we are running Rylan Jones into the ground?

Viewing 6 reply threads
      4 2

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

He’s an undersized, freshman with a high school player’s body. The last 3 games he has gone 44, 38, and 40 minutes. that’s an average of just under 41 minutes a game. Over the last 5 games he sits an average of about 40 seconds per game.

W

T

F

Lets not forget that the kid broke his ribs not long ago, then had them reinjured a week or two later. No way is he even close to 100% healthy, and he’s out there playing as many minutes as anyone in college basketball.

NOT

GOOD

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

To be clear, if he was healthy, and an upper classman I would be perfectly happy with it. I’m sure he’s not complaining, but it was a little crazy seeing him play 44 minutes last night.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Gach being out limits our options since he’s usually ran the point when Rylan is taking a breather.

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

Yes, I understand why he is getting the minutes. We literally do not have another point guard on the roster that is healthy. I’m just saying, that’s a whole lot of minutes for an injured kid who probably weighs like 160 soaking wet, who also happens to take a beating every time he steps on the court.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

We have no options. So it is what is is.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

No, I have no concerns at all. He’s the kind of player where the only thing keeping him from reaching another level is mileage. The staff knows what kind of minutes he can handle. Think about all the experience he’s getting. He’s been good this year but he’s going to be great next year and incredible the year after.

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

I’m not concerned. I agree that it’s not ideal, but to me, this season is a groundwork for the next couple of seasons. If we wear him out this season he’ll be fine and better for it next year. I’m not worried that overusse this year will have any negative carryover on his future career at the U. Could he wear out this year? Very possibly. But oh well.

And, as others have noted, with Gach out, we don’t really have a better option, so I agree with Utah5410 above: it is what it is.

Staples
      Ute Fan
      @staples

As others have said, I’m not sure Larry has much of a choice given that we don’t really have a natural backup PG, but I do think there’s some cause for concern. He’s really only shot the ball well twice in conference play (Oregon State and Wazzu) and you have to wonder if that’s a combination of hitting the natural freshmen wall, the fact that he’s banged up, and he’s playing a ton of minutes.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Love the guy, just wish he wouldn’t ever dribble along the baseline.  Good things never happen from that.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Is anyone else concerned that we are running Rylan Jones into the ground?