is there anything to make from Utah not kneeling on that last possession?

Viewing 7 reply threads

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

maybe Whitt addressed this, but I found it interesting that Whitt kneels against BYU with 90 seconds left and yet doesn’t against Leach in the exact same scenario?

Apparently Whitt is close with Leach, similar to Sitake.

My gut tells me Whitt was releasing some frustrations about losing the last 4 against Leach.  Clearly he doesn’t have that same frustration with Sitake.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Style points.

Dwight89
      Ute Fan
      @jordan-buckner

Huntley said in a postgame interview that on that last touchdown run of his the call was to hand it off to Brumfield, but that he wanted to score again. Love Snoop.

So, I think we can infer from that that Whitt was fine running up the gut til the end of the game. Only reason he didn’t do it against BYU is because of Kalani. 

alUmnUs
      Ute Fan
      @alumnus

The way the kneel happened in the TDS game seemed like a bigger gut punch to the opponent than scoring would have been – just how I perceived it. If I were on the other side of that I would have been so embarrassed. After getting ground pounded for the entire second half, especially during 9 non-stop ruthless minutes to end the game, giving up a score would have been an expected tapout. Utah didn’t even let them tapout. Utah stood over TDS in a submission hold and said “you so poo poo!”

Considering Utah’s redzone issues since, there wasn’t any reason to kneel vs Wazzu. Utes have left so many points on the field in the last 2 games.

Smack
      Ute Fan
      @smack

I understand why they took the knee against BYU. I think it’s generally the right play when the win is well in hand, and it is almost always the right play when you greatly outclass your opponent.

But football is also a mental game. I hope the reason they did not take a knee against Washington State was because the coaches drilled into the guys this past week that they could not take off any plays. Hence, no knee.

The outcome at USC arguably came down to a few plays. This is often the case. So a little more effort can sometimes make a huge difference. We’ll know after several more games how much was lost at USC and how much was salvaged thereafter.

I love this game. Go UTES!

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

Honestly, Whit has his sites set a little higher this year.  Last weeks lost hurt that.  I think we see him toss his genteman nature in this regard the rest of the year.  

salty-ute
      Ute Fan
      @salty-ute

Something nobody has mentioned, I believe a big reason that Whitt kneeled @ BYU was for risk of injury. After a long break from the rain delay and heated emotions from your rival, there’s a chance that you run into injury.The WSU just game didn’t have the same feel. I also think Whitt is good friends with Sitake and it was a nice gesture. I don’t think he’s nearly on the same level of respect for Leech.

MFury
        Ute Fan
        @mfury

I think he figured one more TD would push Leach over the edge and we would all get some great postgame entertainment. 🙂

Summit Ute
        Ute Fan
        @summitute

In the TDS post game Huntley said he was going to call his own number and run for a touchdown contrary to the play that was sent in to kneel…Huntley said it took too long for him to explain what he was going to do in the huddle that the play clock ran out and they had to call a time out.  After that he just kneeled the ball as instructed. 

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I don’t recall, was the down the same and the clock the same, and timeouts? I was thinking it was close but I think we could have made it work.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football is there anything to make from Utah not kneeling on that last possession?