It has begun…

Viewing 1 reply thread

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Stanford is dropping 11 varsity sports at end of 2020-21 — men’s and women’s fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, coed and women’s sailing, squash, men’s volleyball, wrestling and synchronized swimming.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Wow!!! Stanford probably had one of the largest athletics programs in the country, in guessing.

1 2

SkinyUte
        Ute Fan
        @skinyute

Don’t have the data, but I would highly doubt that they’re one of the largest.

Sports has always felt like an afterthought to academics for Stanford.  

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

No, they are (were?) one of the largest. It is a large factor in why they perform so well in the Athletic Director’s Cup. They had a bunch of obscure sports to help them earn points.

SkinyUte
            Ute Fan
            @skinyute

Thanks, I was not aware of that.  

I was mistakenly thinking athletic budgets, not number of sports. Hence my skepticism.

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

Prior to dropping those 11 varsity sports, they’d fielded 36.  That IS one of the largest athletic programs in the country that fields an FBS team.

Other large athletic depts:  Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan, Navy, Air Force, Boston College, and North Carolina.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 It has begun…