John Henry Daley transfers from BYU to Utah

Viewing 7 reply threads

BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

Don’t know much about him but he was a high 3-star recruit in high school. Defensive end.

Always good to cause some angst on Cougarboard. 😄

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

He wants to play for a team that plays in a real conference.

/s

lol @ BYU.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

…except that either way, he’ll be playing in the Big 12.

5 8

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

So I ventured over to cougarboard. They don’t realize how ridiculous they are and how far they have fallen.

Every player that has transferred to BYU from Utah…has done so because they were passed up on the depth chart and wanted playing time.

Yet every player that comes to us, comes to us knowing that they might not start, probably won’t, but will be a part of a great family and a great program and will help build something special.

I love how their big argument for a kid going to Utah is, “Why is he doing there? He’d never see the field there and he’d start here!”

That is the difference between these two programs. The culture outside of that corporation is so much better. And it’s sad those within it can’t see that, and are taught not to even look. Anyone that tells you to not ask questions or to not get differing opinions…is not selling a good thing.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Sitake has one year left right? I mean no way they permit a L to Utah. Sitake literally coaching for his job I think.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Eagle, would you take Sitake as Utah’s next head coach over Scalley?

4 3

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

No.
            I actually wouldn’t mind him as a position coach. Depends on what Scalley wants.

I think he ends up at Utah though.

Jay Hill is a hard pass on all counts. Still fresh off of stuff I have heard about him. Not a fan of him going there. Same with Arod. I am super done with Arod.

7 1

Redblood
              Ute Fan
              @redblood

What stuff? Jay Hill is a good one and has Utah Football in his blood.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I don’t know much about BYU but a few days ago, the Locked on BYU host was on the Locked on Big 12 Podcast and mentioned this guy as a significant loss to the program. That was well before anyone knew he was coming to Utah.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Quickly revised to: Didn’t want him in the first place and pretty sure he started throwing beer on my mom.

Ute Dub
            Ute Fan
            @chestercopperpot

lol. Tspp can turn so fast.

Utah#1
          Ute Fan
          @utebig12nattychamps

@themiamiute, if Locked on Big12 was all about the Big12 before BYU joined the conference now you would think Locked on Big12 is the new PR department for BYU. It seems as though they are licking so much BYU @$$ you would have thought BYU was Ohio St or Alabama, but the one problem with that is they have done $hit in over a decade. Locked on Big12 gives BYU way too much respect they don’t deserve, but act like a bunch entitled prima donas!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I know nothing about this player, not even his position. What’s the story?

krindor
        Ute Fan
        @krindor

He’s an edge rusher, was seen as a fairly good one (high 3 star…not crazy high but 87-88 range).

Committed to BYU in 2021 class, went on a mission in 2021 and 2022 and then didn’t see snaps this year.

Some noise that he was frustrated he didn’t get playing time in his first year off mission (he’ll be a RS Freshman next season), but a bigger issue is probably his brother. His older brother (Michael Daley) is a low 3 star edge rusher and hasn’t played any meaningful amount in 3 years at BYU (a few ST snaps this last year) and actually left the team midseason. Seems like there was bad blood between Michael Daley and BYU, which likely impacted John Henry Daley’s relationship with the team

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Yeap.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

Possibly he contributes as he gets his turn much like Fano has.

HoosierUte
      Ute Fan
      @hoosierute

So is this guy a serial killer? What’s with the three names? Only psychopaths do that.

belli1976
        Ute Fan
        @belli1976

The next Ted Bundy??

Yergensen
        Ute Fan
        @yergensen

Psychopathic edge rusher, I like it. I think this is what we’ve been missing in our pass rush, a little psychopathy.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I really appreciate it that most of my fellow Ute fans were respectful when two of our players transferred to our rival like last season. Most wished them well and I do not remember any Ute fans trashing them.

CB is all over the place on this transfer. Some say things like he and his brother are dead to me. Others cannot understand why a kid would ever leave a heavenly place like BYU for Utah. Some say he made a deal with the devil. And best of all, he wasn’t any good anyway.

One of my favorite CB comments was, “Daley did NOT include ‘please respect my decision’ in his departure graphic. Therefore we are under no obligation to respect it, and I do not and will not respect it. Frankly, I detest it.”

In fairness, some CB posters do admit that he has a much better chance of developing into a potential NFL defensive end at Utah. There are some CB posters who understand that Utah is simply better at developing defensive players.

It sounds like this kid has some great potential. I don’t see him getting a lot of playing time next season with Filinger, O’Toole, Ellis, and Fano. But, in 2025 he may be a star for the Utes.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Well, if we have as many injuries next year as we did this season, and this kid shines, he’ll be one and done with the Utes.

Utah#1
      Ute Fan
      @utebig12nattychamps

IMO, Utah is a good football school, not a great football school. Utah gets these four or exceptional three star athletes, and believe these stud kids know they are one of the best players on the team, if not the best player on the team and realize this maybe Utah ceiling in winning conference championships or NY6 Bowl appearances. Unless Utah recruits a roster full of four and/or five star players, they may not see another conference championship game, NY6 or CFP bowl berth until they get USC, Oregon, Washington, Ohio St, Michigan, Alabama, or Oregon type rosters. Now that they are in the Big 12 and we have the portal and NIL, college football is a greedy money making machine destroying the sport many of us fans love.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

So, we’ve been in four of the last 5 P12 title games (not counting the COVID year). We’ve won 2 of the last 3.

It’s easier to get into the playoffs.
        We are now in a easier conference, talent wise.

And you think what we are doing won’t work to make it back to a conference championship game? What are you smoking?

NOW, if you want to talk about winning a national title…yeah. It’s probably not gonna happen. You need top 10 classes to do that.

But if we are talking conference championships and playoffs…that should be the expectation in the Big 12. Anything less is a step backwards as a program.

alUmnUs
      Ute Fan
      @alumnus

Great pickup! I wanted Utah to grab JHD out of high school.

He’s absolutely the type of defensive player that Utah has thrived on developing into a star. I’ve heard a bit about this situation being local in Highland/Alpine and suffice it to say, BYU was a complete mess for JHD. An absolute F-Up for them to have not been able to keep him from transferring – let alone transferring to Utah.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football John Henry Daley transfers from BYU to Utah