JQJ

Viewing 5 reply threads
      4 4

RedUte14
      Ute Fan
      @redute14

Not really understanding the hype about JQJ. I understand he is uber atheltic but he only rated at an 0.8100 as a transfer. Which is a huge drop off from his initial ranking. The Tight End transfer from idaho has a better Re-ranking. I just don’t really see JQJ panning out. I hope he does.

2 6

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Ok thanks 

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

I don’t understand why we rush to assume someone is going to enter the portal when they have publically said nothing on the matter.  Ute fans are so quick to assume the worst.  

RedUte14
        Ute Fan
        @redute14

I never once said he entering the transfer portal?

pedro
          Ute Fan
          @pedro

I was pointing fingers at those who in previous threads are making that assumption, but ok, you can take it personal if you want.  🙂 

3 2

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Athletic backup qb at Utah?? Ute fans go hard just thinking about how he should be playing. Rising should never leave the field for some stupid play. Rising is athletic enough and makes great reads. 

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

I got downvoted for the same point a couple of days back.  Who in the world would want anyone other than Rising taking a snap in any situation for this team?

mfaulk80
      Ute Fan
      @mfaulk80

Ja’Quinden Jackson or J.J. (not JQJ as his mom has specifically said) was injured before he arrived to Texas, and he spent his entire time at Texas rehabbing.  247 transfer ratings aren’t as accurate, and would have to primarily be based off of playing.  Considering Jackson didn’t play at all (even in practice) at Texas, that transfer rating holds zero meaning.  Those transfer ratings are still in their nascent stages, and aren’t as accurate as the high school ratings IMO….especially in situations like J.J….

Logan Kendall, on the other hand, has 3 years of tape on which to base a transfer rating.  

Lastly, Ja’Quinden’s initial 96 rating was based off his potential as an overall athlete, not specifically as a QB.  He got a lot of hype when he commited and some were thinking he’d even have a chance to start this past year.  For anyone who was paying attention, however, he still had (and likely has) a long ways to go to learning the QB position.  I haven’t watched a lot of tape, but he played in more of a running system in highschool instead of a typical offense.  He has a huge arm that he’d pull out from time to time, but I don’t think he had to make reads and dissect the defense in the same way.  I think this next year will be really telling for his future.  I still think it’s too early to give up on him as a QB prospect. 

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

There is a lot I do not understand about Jackson and not much is forthcoming from the staff.

He obviously was a great athlete in high school but had some kind of injury while at Texas.

He played some early in the season, but then all of a sudden – not at all.  Did he still have a redshirt year and had he played in 4 games?  Does this explain why he didn’t play in the Rose Bowl?  If a kid from 1-A Milford High is a better passer than a guy from Texas (who had a ton of resources invested in him) then Jackson should not be a college QB IMO. (I am not saying that is the case, but if Barnes is a better passer …)

Jackson will not be the starter at Utah for the next two years because of Rising I assume.  He also has two highly-rated Freshmen coming in.

Many Ute QB recruits have moved to other positions and had great success at safety, D-end, and receiver.   

I am sooooo glad that Whitt is our coach, but his secrecy is at times frustrating.  Fans are curious. Oh well.

I hope Jackson finds a spot on our team.

Crazyforu
        Ute Fan
        @crazyforu

This is just a complete guess, but I am assuming that Jackson is navigating the idea that he would love to be a QB, his skillset though, in terms of future success, is at another position.

He obviously loves Utah, has stated as much, so he is most likely trying to get right in his on mind what that go forward for him is. Does he want to play QB, then he most likely would need to look elsewhere. If he is ok with another position, he is in a perfect place for that. 

Just a guess from my part.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.