LK has had 4 coaches on his staff that I know of

Viewing 5 reply threads
      3 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Who have had sons on the team. Himself, conor, Jones, and Martinez. Pretty strange tbh

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Not really.
      Larry, Tommy, Chris, and Henry all played at high levels of basketball so it’s not out of the realm of possibility that their Son’s would be players too.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Were they on scholarship?

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Rylan Jones and Ian Martinez are on schollarship, right? Luke Krystkowiak and the Connor kid, no? It’s an interesting recruiting tactic to hire the kids dad. Didn’t BYU do that with Lohner? 

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Larry’s son is a walk on, no big deal. Jones and Martinez are clearly Pac level athletes. Connor, I don’t know about, is not on the roster, don’t know why he would fit in. Lots of questions with the team, much to work on, this is off the list not near the bottom. I have not been a fan of family on the team but as long as it does not impact playing time it mostly becomes nothing.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

The practice of hiring Dads or HS/prep school/AAU Coaches to get a top recruit goes all the way back to Danny Manning at Kansas.

It’s nothing new

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I think it is a bad look. It looks like the only way we get those kids to play here is if we hire their dads. 

bopahull
        Ute Fan
        @bopahull

Jones and Martinez I see your point, but Conners and Krystkowiak were coaching here before the sons were added.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

FWIW Jones and Martinez are good players, and I don’t have a problem with any of the 4 fathers. Chris Jones in particular is a guy I REALLY hae a ton of respect for. He coached me off and on for a few years when I was middle school aged. He took me under his wing and had a bigger impact on my game than any of the other coaches I’ve had over the years (even though he really only coached me for a few weeks). Easily the best coach I’ve ever been around.

That being said, with LK’s kid in particular, it just seems like it’s one of two things. Either they couldn’t get a better player to come in and play (Luke K. is completely useless at this level of competition), or they could have, and LK chose his son instead. With these walk on guys, you either need a kid with potential, or someone who can at least shoot the deep ball well (even if they are devoid of any other useful skill).

Ultimately I just think it’s odd that there have been at least 4 of them in the last few years. Seems like (in a few cases) they’ve been used as stop gaps for recruiting spots that LK couldn’t fill.

2 1

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

I would feel weird as a recruit if my Dad got hired to the team, right, wouldn’t you? I mean, love to help your family out, but also the whole thing becomes weird IMO.

3 2

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

It definitely has a foul odor.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) LK has had 4 coaches on his staff that I know of