Mikey Matthew’s in the Portal

Viewing 16 reply threads

cj13
      Ute Fan
      @cjohnsen13

First head scratcher. We’ve been lucky and haven’t lost starters to the portal the last few years. He must’ve received calls that he could get paid big somewhere else

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

This offseason is already exhausting. A freshman who got loads of playing time, who has a 7th year QB returning who would undoubtedly feed him the ball, and coaches who have complete faith in him (when was the last time Whitt trusted a freshman to field punts). Yet he’s transferring… College football is dying right in front of us.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Yes. But does he have insider information on guys coming in that are better?

ColumbiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @columbiaute

He has to be getting a big deal somewhere. He was definitely going to be a top contributor next season so it has to be NIL related.

Xanthis
      Ute Fan
      @xanthis

Well that sucks.

1 3

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

This isn’t fun anymore. We’re already relegated to a 2nd tier program with the new P-2…just like the good old WAC and MWC days,

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

For sure he’s leaving to one of the SoCal schools or one of Oregon/Washington…for sure…

highlandute7
        Ute Fan
        @highlandute7

If he goes to any of these schools, go riddance as it just confirms its about money, although that is what NIL is. UCLA, USC, Oregon and UW don’t know who their QBs will be next year. Doesn’t mean they won’t get someone but who cares if you have a QB like Cam coming back (supposedly).

If it is one of those schools, my bet is on Oregon. They seem to be the leader in getting Ward.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

I wonder who’s going to be next? I would consider a guy like Barton a prime target but for the fact that he’s from here and could have gone just about anywhere from high school.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @utebiquitous

Barton won’t leave. I don’t know that he’ll leave after next season. Like his brothers, he loves the U and the college experience. It will take a high draft evaluation for the NFL to grab his attention to consider early entry.

He’s a Ute until then.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

I know Rick. That why I said that he wouldn’t leave.

Rick
            Ute Fan
            @utebiquitous

Sorry Miami. My reading comprehension drops considerably later in the day.

concerned
        Ute Fan
        @concerned

Trivia question: which U player gets the least amount of NIL money?

A: Barton. His family said he didnt need it and to give his share to someone who did.

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

Prayer rolls for Xavier Jordan and/or Raleek Brown

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Never be surprised by WR movement on this team. WR want 5 catches a game minimum. We target our WR 2 times a game.

3 3

RustyShackleford
      Ute Fan
      @shakyute13

Dead to me

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

I try not to question the decisions these kids make, because they are kids and they are being thrown into some very adult decisions with major consequences. But A: He was average at best. Does he think he’s better than he is. B: I’m tired of just giving these kids a pass. If this was your kid, knowing what you know, how would you advise him? IMHO, this is a stupid decision that he will likely regrets, if he truly cares about competing. But that’s just me.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Or possibly get thrown to.

Utah isn’t exactly known for wideout performance.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Maybe Whitt told him to test the market and see if he gets any offers. Utah may have a number in mind and he wants to see if he can get more. Didn’t Bernard enter last year and come back?

I guess you can play hard ball and say once you enter your done. Seems wiser option is to play along to seek value then try and match. If that’s the case everyone should enter and see who offers.

I have no idea how you put a value on players other than what someone else is willing to offer. The well will soon run dry. NCAA has opened a can of worms.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Jim, nice post. You might be on to something. I’ve also heard that the reason why some players are hitting the portal is because the NIL collectives are telling them “you can stay here on scholarship but we’re funneling our funding in another direction.” Essentially, NIL, or lack thereof, is being used as a cutting mechanism for players you want out of your program or don’t feel are living up to your standards.

Ghost of the HEB
        Ute Fan
        @deseretgentlman

Starters who enter the portal have already received offers.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

We will see. Bernard went to the portal and came back last season. I hope Matthews comes back but if not – I wish him well. Saying things like he is dead to me is nonsense.

Utah#1
      Ute Fan
      @utebig12nattychamps

NIL and the portal have/are massively destroying college football. My question to Whitt and the coaches is, what are they doing to find good replacements in the portal that are worth a damn?

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Question for everyone who is saying that the portal is destroying college football: What would it take for you to stop watching it? How bad would things have to get?

i ask because i keep hearing about how CFB has been ruined and whatnot. But then i keep seeing record viewership numbers and record revenue reports. Just wondering when the collective anger will finally result in fans no longer being fans?

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

For me it’ll be when Utah is relegated to irrelevance. I don’t watch minor league hockey, baseball or basketball. So, I’m certainly not going to start watching minor league football, no matter how they package it.

2 1

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

If this isn’t minor league football, I don’t know what is.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

It might be there in a couple of years but it certainly isn’t there now. No other minor league set-up requires its players to be full-time students in good standing at an university. That’s the biggest difference and the biggest time drain for the players under the current dynamic.

When you have one collective of 30-40 schools that get all, not most but all, of the attention, media money, and blue chip players, then we’ll be there. Since the media is what’s driving this train, we might even have some sort of arrangement where the only thing “college-like” about these football teams is their name. You could have a situation where the players are professionals, and not students, playing under the banner of a famous university. At that point, it will be minor league football.

The question is if it will be successful. All other attempts at establishing alternate leagues or minor league football have fallen flat on their faces, especially with the viewing market. Can a conference of 30-40 top college teams but that plays at a lower skill level than, say the XFL, be successful just because of the university names attached to it? I guess we’ll see. All I know is that I won’t be watching unless Utah is part of it.

1 3

Utah#1
      Ute Fan
      @utebig12nattychamps

Matthews isn’t going to stick around when NIL and USCs, Oregons, and Ohio Sts come calling. Utah still can’t win the big games when it matters, and good players will go elsewhere because they know they have a better chance to excel and be a part of a storied program and big time conference (SEC or B1G). Sad but true.

UrbanLiar
        Ute Fan
        @urbanliar

Beating Oregon in the 2021 Championship isn’t a big game? Beating USC in the 2022 Championship isn’t a big game? Those games “didn’t matter”?

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

All games matter!

Utegator
            Ute Fan
            @utegator

Tell that to the players that sit out every year. The utes were in the Rose bowl and still had starters sit out.

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Mikey Matthew’s in the Portal