More national guys pushing BIG12 to raid PAC12

Viewing 7 reply threads

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

Says they need to grab USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Arizona State. Again, this is doomsday scenario for Utah unless the big 10 came calling and wanted to scoop up Utah and Colorado. Without those 6 teams the Pac-12 would either cease to be, or it would scoop up western teams like BYU, Boise, SDSU and others to try and stay afloat.
      No thank you.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

What will be, will be.

3 1

cjd1
      Ute Fan
      @cjd1

I see UT & OU leaving and joining the PAC 12.

1 1

UtesRock
        Ute Fan
        @utahrockon

I lived in Oklahoma for 9 years, and that will never ever happen.  OU fans will not have it.  OU travels well, but not one fan wants to trave to CA, AZ, sure they will travel this fare for one or two games, but six, no way.  I’ve seen this quote before and sure as Apple stock will rise again my response is the same Never ever going to happen.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

I don’t think the visiting fans traveling is even part of the discussion.  Yeah, you absolutely have to have that for bowl games, but not for conference games.  If you did they wouldn’t stick the visiting fans in some far flung corner of the stadium.   

The amount of travel for the players (time, distance and cost) is a concern, not only for football and basketball but for the non-revenue sports as well.  Existing Big-12 teams were willing to commit to traveling to Morgantown from the Midwest/Plains for one game per year (not every year for football).  It WV-U that was making the biggest travel commitment for all their road games.

Today’s operative questions: Would Ariz fans show up big for a football or basketball home game vs Oklahoma or Texas and vice versa??  I’d say definitely YES.   Would that draw a big TV rating?  Yes.   Harder to argue for TCU vs Utah, honestly.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Honestly I don’t care what sportscasters think should happen or want to see happen. Conference membership is about business and money as much as it is about athletics. And while sportscasters may understand athletics, most of them don’t understand business and money – if they did, they wouldn’t be sportscasters.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Can’t see the 4 California school splitting up.  They were insistent they all play football every year when the PAC12 was formed.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Coronavirus will take care of all these worries soon enough. 

UtesRock
        Ute Fan
        @utahrockon

Stay calm and wash your hands.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I got recommend videos in my feed for washing hands. People are cashing in on on this hype. 

PlainsUte
            Ute Fan
            @plainsute

Its the powerful Big Soap Lobby

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

They will take over this planet one day. 

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Arizona brings nothing to the table. Athletic program is a dumpster fire right now and Tucson is a hell on earth.

Football is a horrible and B-ball is not the national brand it used to be.

Utah gets swept up by mega conference before u of pay does

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

But most likely, Colorado gets picked up before Utah.  It doesn’t matter that our athletic department had been more successful than theirs.  What matters is that we bring the Salt Lake City market, whereas they bring the Denver market.

Edge:  Denver market

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Off-season fodder.

But, I will say this: Utah and Colorado are in a good position to be included in a BigXII Pac12 merger. We are geographically closer to the BigXII than most of the other Pac12 teams which means we could sort of act as the bridge between the Cali schools and the rest of the BigXII. On top of that, we bring unique markets – something only half of the rest of the conference can do. Why take Arizona and Arizona State when you can just take the Sun Devils and get the whole Arizona market? Same goes for Washington, Oregon, and even the Cali schools. You don’t need both of the LA and both of the Bay Area schools.

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

BigXII has WVU, I’m not sure that they care about geographic location.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

More likely to see Memphis or Cinci added to the Big12 because of that.

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

Honestly I think the best thing Utah has going for us in any conference realignment scenario is our new AAU status. That carries significant weight within conference circles.

Ruth is the best University president in our lifetimes.

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

Just ignore the handeling of the Lauren situation and yeah she’s done okay.

BulgieUte
        Ute Fan
        @bulgieute

You may be right about a market redundancy regarding taking both Arizona/Washington/Oregon schools but LA for sure and possibly the bay area are big enough that there is something to gain by taking both teams. Especially if streaming services start playing more of a role and # of subscribers is based more on specific content rather than cable subscriptions by people who subscribe for other content and just happen to have PAC12 programming.

It could come down to which teams have the larger fan base rather than what particular market they play their home games in.

Crow
      Ute Fan
      @crow

Won’t happen it’s the president’s decision they care about academics not athletics. There are 9 AAU members in the PAC12 3 in Big12 the Universities can collaborate over projects. So why go to the Big12. This is a wet dream over on Cougar board.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 More national guys pushing BIG12 to raid PAC12