My thoughts on last night’s game

Viewing 3 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

The positives:

– We beat Kentucky for the first time since Jeff Judkins and the Utes beat them in 1976.  Nice to get the monkey off our back!

– We beat a top-ten team.

– Great shooting, especially from three-point range.

– These young guys are looking pretty good and with the additions next year – this team could be very good!

My Concerns:

– Too many boneheaded turnovers.

– We played poorly in the last ten minutes of the game.

– I hate the way coach K coaches the team when he has a lead.  He went away from what got them the lead.  I do not like Walton as a color-guy, but he was right when he said that Utah stopped playing aggressive. 

It is a great win and I am very happy for the players.  They seem to be a nice group of kids.  (I hope they stay around.)

Go Utes!!!

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

As far as the negatives go I am fine with it mostly. Young team etc etc. 

I was disappointed with an inbound play with the shot clock at like four. It was either Larry K’s last time out or second to last. There seemingly was no play and Thioune had to pass it to Jones who had to toss a very poor attempt up. 

Late free throw shooting by Allen is also killing leads. You have a guy like Allen and you just foul him late to keep chipping away at the lead. 

The trajectory of this particular team is exciting. We will probably see losses with the amount of turnovers. There were stretches of great defense and smooth offense that make me hopeful. 

UtahFanSir
      Ute Fan
      @utahfansir

Not positive about this, but K3 had to tighten the rotation last night. Not that many Utes played IIRC and in such an emotional game, the risk of the kids hitting a fatigue wall was high. So Utah moved to a control game, hoping that fouls, hitting FTs, and making shots in the key would keep them in the game. Utah boxed out well and secured critical rebounds, did not allow Kentucky the fast break, and defended the perimeter. The fact that otherwise terrific Ute FT shooters were missing toward the end of the game, tells me the kids were tired.

Kentucky got into early foul trouble, and their guard play suffered. Still, had the game gone into OT, I doubt the Utes would have won. I know what Walton said, that Utah needed to continue to play hard and fast, but at that point, I wonder if they could have run a footrace with Kentucky. That is what Kentucky wanted too, because it would have opened up the game.

What I am saying is that as frustrating as it was for the change in pace, Utah held on and won. I’m saying that was a massive success and terrific confidence booster for a team that knows it has a lot to learn.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

That silly review to put a half a second back on the clock was like an extra timeout for Utah. They were so gassed and I was grateful for it. 

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Agree. A bunch of Frosh and some Sophs beating Kentucky is something Utah would never have been able to do in the past. There is a lot of talent on this team. No problem with the slow game if executed well. Coach K controlled the tempo. Props to Calipari traveling out West to play Utah. It’s good for the game and his team will be better for it. Easy to lock your team in Rupp arena and enjoy the comfort of winning in your own backyard. There is clearly a lot of mutual respect between Coach K and Coach C. I hope this team stays together for the next 3-4 years while picking up some more solid recruits. Go Utes!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) My thoughts on last night’s game