New Video Board for NEZ

Viewing 2 reply threads
      6 1

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Really excited to hear the news from Whitt’s presser today that a new video board is in the works for the NEZ. I realize many like the Utah sign on the Fieldhouse behind RES, but I’d prefer they rip down the Fieldhouse and build a really cool deck over the TRAX for a standing room area with the video board to match the SEZ.

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

Imagine the sweet advertisements they’ll be able to show on the new videoboard.

6 1

HoosierUte
        Ute Fan
        @hoosierute

Gotta generate the revenue somewhere

17 1

perceptionate
      Ute Fan
      @perceptionate

The Fieldhouse is a protected historic building that just went through major renovations for preservation. It’s not going anywhere.

Hoping the new videoboard doesn’t obstruct the UTAH letters on the fieldhouse roof.

6 12

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

The new video board will definitely obstruct the view of the UTAH lettering on the Fieldhouse. I don’t know why it’s considered a historical building. It’s served its purpose…time for it to go.

But regardless, new video board is much better than UTAH lettering.

3 1

Ghost of the HEB
          Ute Fan
          @deseretgentlman

You can barely see the field house roof from inside the stadium anyway, so I’m not too worried about it. Those two small screens that are currently in the NEZ are pretty useless, so we’re due for an upgrade. I’ve heard idea thrown around of just putting two larger better ones in place of those two small ones so we don’t lose the field house roof view, but one big long one would look better.

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

Whitt’s comments made it seem like it will be 1 big board vs 2 smaller boards (larger than the current small boards but smaller than 1 large board).

Bigger = Better

So I hope they are just going for 1 large board. Personally, I’m a fan of making things “matchy” so everything looks intentional like there was 1 original master plan vs adding on here and there. That’s why I’d like to see it take on a similar size and look to the SEZ.

Ghost of the HEB
              Ute Fan
              @deseretgentlman

I’m sure players/recruits would prefer one large one across the back of the NEZ that they could see themselves on as they come out of the tunnel and whatnot.

10 1

Rick
          Ute Fan
          @rickyrules

Just a little history as to why it is an important historical building to preserve:

“The Einar Nielsen Fieldhouse has been a campus fixture for 81 years. Opened in 1939 and dedicated in 1940, the fieldhouse has seen a lot. It housed two national championship basketball teams—the Utah men’s team led by coach Vadal Peterson won the 1944 NCAA tournament and the 1947 NIT tournament. At the height of WWII in 1943, it even served as a dormitory for over 1,000 soldiers. The fieldhouse was named after legendary athletic trainer Einar Nielsen, who kept athletes healthy for over 40 years.”

In the day and age of tearing down monuments and statues I sure hope sentiment like your’s doesn’t win the day.

2 7

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

Sorry dude, there isn’t anything in that blurb that screams we must save this building at all cost. Not to mention, they are turning it into a student theater for the arts. That doesn’t sound like we are “preserving” the historical significance of this building to me. But whatever…

5 1

Stone
        Ute Fan
        @stone

I think the stadium is nearly perfect as it is now. It is true that some people in the SEZ cannot easily see the videoboard, but I don’t feel like that is a big issue. I mean, there was a time when there were no videoboards, and it seemed to work out okay. People in the SEZ can also just turn around when they need to see a replay.

I would much rather preserve the fieldhouse views than place a massive scoreboard in the NEZ. 

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

There was also a time when we had track & field going around the football field along with wooden bleacher seating that gave fans splinters and all of that worked out fine as well. But we don’t live in those times anymore.

Today’s objective is about improving the fan experience as much as possible. Assuming our coaches continue to put a good product on the field…the nicer RES is, the higher the demand for tickets and continued sellouts, the more money generated for the football program, and the better the home field advantage RES continues to be for our team. Fans in the SEZ, especially all of the donors sitting in the new premium areas that have contributed so much aren’t wanting to turn around all game long to view the Video Board. Not to mention having it so close that they’re turning around and looking up at it like they’re sitting on the front row of a movie theater. 

Stone
            Ute Fan
            @stone

You make fair points, but I stand by my opinion. 

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football New Video Board for NEZ