NIL Upside.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

We may see a resurgence of the Ivy league football return to National Championship contention. Throw back to the late 1800s/early 1900s. Princeton, Harvard, and Yale soon to be in the mix for the CFP. MIT and Cal Tech should jump in the mix and start football programs with all of their high earning alumni. Why not?  

Imagine what Elon Musk-Penn, Zuckenberg-Harvard,  and Jeff Bezos-Princeton could do for their programs. The ship has left port and ain’t coming back.  Utah’s highest school donors are 70 to 100 billion dollars below these guys alone.

I am looking forward to enjoying every minute of the up coming football season. The future will be interesting for Utah football and the other current 100 or so schools not able to compete in the paying player money game. 

Any chance Utah can work some magic and offer Elon Musk an honorary degree from Utah :)?  Go Utes!

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Theoretically, but those type of people are less likely to drop $$ into athletics than some others.  They want a new building or even an academic department named after them or their companies.   The Phil Knight/Nike and Steve Ballmer legacy at Oregon are possible exceptions, but even with Nike, its done partially to promote their brand not an athlete’s name/brand, and those donors have made gifts to academic departments as well.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Do those alumni care about sports though?

ColumbiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @columbiaute

I went to Columbia for undergrad which has been by far the Ivy League’s punching bag for the last 60 years. I think alumni for Harvard, Princeton and Dartmouth (the historical league winners every year) care to a certain extent, but you are not going to see alumni drop huge NIL money. Because at the end of the day, Ivy League football doesn’t draw eyeballs.

Duhwayne
          Ute Fan
          @duhwayne

Hail man from Morningside. Columbia may be one of the top five landlords in the city (owns almost 250 buildings) but they managed to lose the alumni club. In New York City. They share the Penn Club now. I don’t think there is a prayer any of the Ivies will invest in athletics to go after the Stanford model of sports. Closest chance is Princeton hoops maybe but the football games on the radio any given Saturday in Connecticut are the likes of Colgate vs. Holy Cross. No one in the northeast seems particularly bothered by it.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

This is what I would expect. Yeah it’s fun to watch, but I don’t see them buying players like SC, Bama, or UT will.

Crow
      Ute Fan
      @crow

My great great grandfather went to Yale. My great great grandmother donated money to build a building named after him. Their estate is in Connecticut and she donated it to the State so their sons wouldn’t fight over it. 

But their money helped launch Standard Oil with the Rockefellers. To bad they didn’t leave money to us now. Would love to donate some to the U.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.