Niumatalolo out at Navy

Viewing 1 reply thread

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Navy lost to Army in overtime on Saturday.  It will be Coach Niumatalolo’s last game for the Midshipmen.  Winningest coach at Navy but 11-23 over the past three seasons.  TSPP can now pick him up, I guess.

https://247sports.com/Article/Navy-football-coach-Ken-Niumatalolo-will-not-return-for-2023-season-200184987

EMUte#2
      Ute Fan
      @cbanders5

A position coach at Tds would be a big step down. The pay is not good trust me. They don’t make much.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Sort of kidding, based on when their fans said he really wanted to coach at TSPP but didn’t when Bronco left.

fosternano
          Ute Fan
          @fosternano

They offered him first and he declined, opting to sign an extension with navy at the time if I recall correctly.

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

Kind of. Actually he was in line to be the coach at BYU-Provo Campus but Holmoe got cold feet. Holmoe was afraid that Ken’s offense was too vanilla to keep the fanbase happy – they insist on a pass-heavy offense and Ken has a run-first, triple option offense at Navy. Holmoe buckled under the pressure and hired Sitake instead.

That fanbase is something else, man. They ran their 2nd-best coach of all time out of town (Mendenhall) and they ran off Ken before he even got the job. And there’s no doubt in my mind that Ken is a great football coach and is certainly a better head coach than Sitake is.

PlainsUte
            Ute Fan
            @plainsute

Was that his offense or just what he had to run at Navy (as do the other Academies) due to personnel restrictions?

GameForAnyFuss
              Ute Fan
              @gameforanyfuss

To that fanbase it didn’t matter. They were so scared that Ken would bring the triple option to Provo that they heaped pressure on Holmoe to not hire him.

There’s a lesson to be learned here for all of us: Stakeholder input is good, but you can’t hire by committee.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Niumatalolo out at Navy