I thought this would happen

Dresden_Stormblessed
      Ute Fan
      @dresden

Where was he depth chart wise?

UtTroutHunter
        Ute Fan
        @uttrouthunter

From what I’ve heard, he was likely going to be the backup center, but also had a chance at winning one of the starting guard spots. Its definitely a loss, but if he was going to be a starter, I doubt he would be transferring. 

2 2

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

I have to imagine that there are folks in the portal of equal or greater skill that we could pick up.

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Ugggh, I hope he wasn’t one of the 10 being touted by Whitt as our most deep and talented OL. Anyone know?

ThurstonW
      Ute Fan
      @thurstonw

Ourlad.com Depth Chart for Utah lists him as the starting Right Guard (updated 6/22/21).  I’ve also seen him listed elsewhere as the backup Center.

2 2

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

ourlad.com?

Waybackutefan
          Ute Fan
          @waybackutefan

You can buy the domain for the low low price of $3,095 bucks, who can resist?

UteDuke
      Ute Fan
      @uteduke

I will never understand this. Even if he isn’t the starter he is basically guaranteed playing time on what is expected to be a team with a very high ceiling. What will he finds elsewhere that is better than that?
      I’m sure he has his reasons, it is just frustrating to me because it feels shortsighted.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

He may prefer to be at center. He was pretty good in 2019, if he was not slated to be a starter then 1) He could be still working thru his injury or 2) 3 inside OL have passed him. Ford moved into his spot when injured and that appears to be bad luck for him. I would guess he would stay if he was a starter. If he is not a starter, the OL has improved. We need 2s clearly to be ready and to spell the starters. However, that is a tough role for a senior that was previously a starter. He would be a real gift for a team in need of a center.

Waybackutefan
      Ute Fan
      @waybackutefan

Not a big supprise, Ford is #1 at center and he probably doesn’t pass up any of the other OLine #1’s. My guess is he ends ups at BYU, which would suck. 

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

Isn’t Empey entrenched as the zoobs’ starting C?

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

Paging onlyU

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

You guys have this pretty well covered. Daniels took the majority of the back up center reps in the Spring. Definitely one of the top 10 from a talent perspective so he would have played but probably wants to be the guy or a likely starter and I don’t think he was this year.

Expect a handful more transfers in the coming days…in college football in general. July 1st is the deadline to transfer and play I believe.

UtahUtesRock
      Ute Fan
      @utahutesrock

I know we are talking about kids. I really wish that he finds whatever he’s looking for HOWEVER, I prefer guys who want to be here. If he’s entering the portal now there’s something on his mind that isn’t going to allow him to have his full heart, and concentration on doing what the team here is trying to accomplish. Meaning he wasn’t going to be mentally capable of being a force for us. Again wish him good luck and any kid that’s on the fence and chooses to leave, God’s speed. I want kids who want to be here because they believe in something bigger than themselves. 

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

A few things to remember.

First, he was a captain last season. He is not a captain this season. Not sure if that has an impact, but being a captain has to be a source of pride.

Second, he is a senior. He likely graduated with his undergrad last season. If he wants to get his grad degree under scholarship, going to another school makes sense, even if he isn’t doing this as a “graduate transfer”.

dwainegf
      Ute Fan
      @dwainegf

LSU’s LT is entering the portal. Don’t know if we would look at him or if he is interested in us but…. Link:
      https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Article/Who-steps-up-at-left-tackle-for-LSU-Cam-Wire-Garrett-Dellinger-Dare-Rosenthal-167172293/

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Orlando Umana is transferring.