Pac 12 Championship on Friday Blunder

Viewing 5 reply threads

Parach-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @parach-ute

Let’s say that Utah and Oregon win out and meet with one loss in the Pac 12 Championship game. Oregon would have a very reasonable neutral site loss to Auburn which Oregon probably should have won and Utah would have a road loss to USC, a team whose brand supercedes their performance at the moment. Let’s say Oregon is #6 and Utah is #7. Let’s also say that Clemson loses one game and, thus, is likely out of the CFP conversation. Due to recency bias, will having the Pac 12 Championship game on Friday hurt the winner of the game when it comes to the CFP? I believe having the game on a Friday with likely lower ratings vs the Big 12 Championship game, which is held on Saturday with likely higher ratings could be a huge hindrance for the Pac 12 and yet another blunder by our well compensated commissioner with questionable judgment. Thoughts?

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

#6 vs #7, if it should happen that way (and there’s still a lot of football to be played, so who knows?), would NOT be ignored, regardless of the day-of-week.   CFP decisions may not be entirely unbaised but wouldn’t hinge on TeeVee ratings for a preceding game.  People will find out what happened and highlights will be shown on the pre-game shows for the Big12 game and any others on Saturday.  In that sense it’s better to go first.

ayoriver
      Ute Fan
      @ayoriver

Assuming 11-1 Utah vs 11-1 Oregon, I think the hope for the Pac hinges on the winner on the Championship game destroying the other. If they were 6 and 7, and the winner is convincing, I think that gets them in, it would make them really hard to ignore, especially if it’s Utah like we are all hoping. That would me they obliterated a team that narrowly lost to Auburn on a neutral site, with their only loss being at USC, where injuries played a part. In any case, a lackluster result in the Ship game likely keeps the winner around 6 or maybe 5.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Well I hope the comparative results vs USC are not an indicator of the outcome of such a contest.

ayoriver
      Ute Fan
      @ayoriver

If a blowout, I don’t think the day of week matters in the slightest.

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

It will be #5 vs #6

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

With all of the Pac teams that were ranked at some point, it is sad that only Utah and Oregon are likely to be ranked at the end of the regular season. That hurts both teams and one will finish without beating a currently ranked team.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Pac 12 Championship on Friday Blunder