PAC 12 conference realignment heresay

Viewing 15 reply threads

AgouraUte
      @agouraute

Just passing on. Heard from a reliable source that the powers that be at USC are beyond angry at the revenue coming in from the P12 network. 

One of their gripes is the size of the media market in Salt Lake and lack of national following of Utah games. Additionally, the Utes are now poaching USC talent they couldn’t access in the past.

Two plans they are floating for the next conference realignment to the commissioner. 

1. Swap out Utah with Nebraska who was Colorado’s rival in the Big eight

2. Option 1 – plus bring in Oklahoma and Texas.

Their other gripe is the late start games.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

That’s funny.

UteManX
      Ute Fan
      @utemanx

Let’s just say from this source that this is all made up.

AgouraUte
        @agouraute

My source is very real. But my source and their alumni cronies are also delusional.

KillaKam801
          Ute Fan
          @bellzy5

This is true, Pac-12 Network has the worst ranking of any Network in terms of viewership. There have been talks about getting additional teams added to the Pac-12 to get viewer rating up. They have discussed adding Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St into the Pac-12 calling that group of teams the “Texoma 4” at which time we’d probably see an agreement for Directv to get the Pac-12 Network further bringing viewership numbers up. This would also allow for games to be played earlier in the day time. Talks of this will come out more as we get closer to the year 2024

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

Your source may be human (i.e., real), but does your source have any veracity? Sounds like a bunch of unrealistic BS that is more likely just some people griping on a message board.

bombastic
      Ute Fan
      @bombastic

Thank you for the info.

Any news on Daniels front? Did you get chance to catch up with the person close to his family as you did the other day?

AgouraUte
        @agouraute

Nothing outside of the fact he has a Ute flag hanging in his room. Like I said on the other forum – my source may be wrong on Daniels not picking Utah. It appears his mom may not have as much influence on his decision as I thought.

ladyinred
          Ute Fan
          @ladyinred

Steve Bartle last night not so subtly eluded to Daniels committment to Utah wil happen very soon. 

32utahutes
            @32utahutes

How? I mean he eluded to some good news, doesn’t mean it’s Daniels tho.

ladyinred
              Ute Fan
              @ladyinred

He brought it up in the context of QB position. 

32utahutes
                @32utahutes

What thread?

ladyinred
                  Ute Fan
                  @ladyinred

I am not talking about a thread, I am talking about what he said on the radio last night. To me anyway, it could not have been more obvious who he was talking about even though he could not yet name names. But you’re right – we don’t know for sure yet. 

32utahutes
                    @32utahutes

I see. I didn’t listen to the radio. Thx for the info

Duhwayne
            Ute Fan
            @duhwayne

Did you mean elude? Not allude?

32utahutes
              @32utahutes

Hahahaha. Alluded*** 😂😂😂

ladyinred
              Ute Fan
              @ladyinred

When I am hear on fan boreds, I am al ways righting my best, irregardless. Their very serious, literally.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

A few thoughts:

1) Adding Nebraska doesn’t address their concerns. While they are a bigger name nationally, they bring a smaller TV market. And if they have a problem with Utah stealing their recruits, how are they going to feel when Nebraska starts doing it? And I’m sure Oklahoma and Texas would never recruit SoCal if they joined the Pac-12 . . . 

2) Which Pac-12 teams outside of USC have a national following? 

3) Nebraska isn’t going to leave behind the B1G payday to take a paycut in the Pac-12 just so they can rekindle their rivalry with Colorado.

AlohaUte
        Ute Fan
        @alohaute

The actual Nebraska TV market may indeed be smaller, i.e. Omaha + Lincoln, but it’s absolutely not smaller nationally. People will watch Nebraska anyday over Utah primarily just because of the history. Despite Nebraska’s lack of success in the last 20 years, they are still practically a blue blood, or perhaps one step down. They bring a lot more overall appeal to the Pac-12 than Utah does.

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

I don’t disagree, but that doesn’t make Nebraska more desirable from a TV contract standpoint. DirecTV isn’t going to add the Pac-12 network because there are people around the country who will watch Nebraska when they are on TV. They will add it because Team X is in Market Y which has a huge population who will subscribe to the Pac-12 network to watch their team. Nebraska isn’t going to spike subscriptions to the Pac-12 network, in Nebraska or around the country, enough to make them a more attractive option. They are a bigger name nationally, but that is it as far as advantages over Utah.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

The rewards from Utah’s conference affilliation opening up Utah to them is far more than the downside of opening the LA market to Utah.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

On another note Agoura needs to quit listening to the drunk on the barstool next to him.

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

What a bunch of delusional nonsense.  There is no way Nebraska leaves the B10 for the P12.  B10 is a far more prestigious conference and each member makes a lot more money than the P12 members do.

USC is having difficulty grasping the fact that west coast football has fallen behind the other football powers in terms of prestige and revenue.  Grasping at straws by trying to poach B10 and B12 members is a futile attempt at trying to remain relevant.  Texas and Oklahoma already turned down a P12 offer, did they forget that?

The P12 conference is what it is.  It’s never going to be the B10, ACC, or SEC.

Sweetness
      Ute Fan
      @sweetness

I have a source…happens to currently be a student at BYU and cougarboard all star. He confirmed this would be a great idea and thinks it might happen. Just thought I’d let you all know. 

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

Don’t forget byu-P to the Big 12.

This is exactly the kind of delusional BS I would expect from a student at that s**tty law school.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

This has flawed logic all over. Assuming Texas schools won’t snipe recruits?  California is the one that is indifferent towards football. It is the SC fans not Utah. Cal and Stanford don’t care about the programs. Football is dying in the West. 

I also don’t think La rams are going to last long. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Fire Larry Scott and then SC hires someone to replace Helton it will make all of the SC alums happy. 

UtesRock
      Ute Fan
      @utahrockon

Total BS TEXAS will never leave for PAC 12.  OU will never leave TEXAS.  Why would Nebraska leave Big 10 to be USC’s bithch.  That’s why they left big 12 they were tired of being TEXAS’s bitch.  

MussMan
        Ute Fan
        @mussman

Oklahoma and Okie State already tried to join the Pac-12 and were turned down. Oklahoma would leave Texas if it would benefit them.

Cheeseboy22
      Ute Fan
      @cheeseboy22

Uh, the Salt Lake market ain’t all that small anymore and it growing like crazy. Oregon State and Washington State play in much smaller markets and they’ve been in the league for a much longer time than Utah. This line of thinking makes no sense. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Salt Lake market is expanding with Californians to. 

KoolWhitt
      Ute Fan
      @koolwhitt

Puka Nakua. Jay Tufele. Osa Masina. Porter Gustin. Stevie T. Beeno Schirmer. Possibly Siaki Ika. But it’s the Utes that have done the poaching?

Get real, U$C. You’ve had more heismans revoked than we’ll likely ever win. You signed more 5 star recruits last year than we have ever, combined. But yeah, we’re limiting your access to talent.

Whine On!

Grimmetal
      Ute Fan
      @grimmetal

If USC really wanted to get ahead of the game, they’d spearhead ushering out Larry Scott. From there, you hire a guy who won’t put all the eggs in a Network. Networks were good for all of 5 minutes. After you clean up that mess and negotiate better national starting times, you look east and expand to 16 before anyone else. Entertain that Texas/Oklahoma mashup before the SEC does.

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

Ugh. 16 team leagues are awful.  If the PAC-12 expands to 16 teams then we are effectively in the Big 12 West, and would only have rare occasion to travel to the West Coast. It would be the PAC-8 vs the Newcomer-8. 

And if USC thinks they are special, they ain’t seen nothing yet. Texas out-specials them in every way, especially in the money department (much to Trojan-fan’s chagrin).

TSKCoug
      Ute Fan
      @tskcoug

I don’t see that the Pac-12 is expanding unless they can get UT. The conference has tried a few times and Texas rejected the offers. The Pac-12 is the Pac-12 for the next few decades at least future. Texas will not leave for a another conference unless they can keep their own separate revenue streams and get a preferential deal. USC, amongst others blocked that idea. Just do not see the fundamentals changing.

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football PAC 12 conference realignment heresay