Pac 12 Media Poll

Viewing 3 reply threads

Dwight89
      Ute Fan
      @jordan-buckner

Pac 12 Media has only correctly guessed the eventual Pac 12 South Champion twice in the first seven years of the Pac-12. 2/7 is 29%. For all the love we’re getting, the media really isn’t that good at picking the eventual champions out of the south. It’s a nice preseason award, sure, but I sure hope Whitt makes sure his guys stay grounded and focused.

3 3

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

Yes, but no team picked out of the top 3 has ever won it so, they’re 100 percent in picking the top teams. Anything can happen from there. The pressure is agood thing. The team has worked hard and earned it.

7 2

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

Colorado in 2016 would like to have a word with you. They were picked to finish 6th that year. 

2 7

UtMtBiker
          Ute Fan
          @utmtbiker

You mean the year that Washington kicked the s**t out of them in the pac12 title game, 41 -10? We’re talking p12 champions not division.

5 2

Dwight89
            Ute Fan
            @jordan-buckner

So if you read my OP I was clearly talking about South Champions only, my man. 

cjd1
      Ute Fan
      @cjd1

Ute fans can enjoy nice things you know.

2 2

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

I’m all for the hype. We just need to be realistic about our expectations, too. Like, for example, it’s quite unrealistic to expect us to win 11 games this year and push for the CFP. Doesn’t mean its impossible, it’s just folly to expect that sort of result in the Pac-12. 

I also think what I meant most in my post is we shouldn’t rely to much on what the media thinks will happen, because in general they are usually wrong. 

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

15-0 15 sacks per game. Top 15 offense. *consumes koolaid from firehose*

Dwight89
            Ute Fan
            @jordan-buckner

Stop, you’re making me feel things that are not appropriate at work. 

Smack
            Ute Fan
            @smack

I like the way you think.

pedro
          Ute Fan
          @pedro

Why do we need to be realistic in our expectations?  Seriously…..  I mean I cautious by nature, so I’m not being overly optimistic, but that’s just me.  I just don’t know why I need to tell others they need to be the same as me.  Sorry for the lecture, that just struck me as odd.

Dwight89
            Ute Fan
            @jordan-buckner

Well for one, good point. 

For two, it just feels a little hypocritical of us considering how badly we bash TDS for crowning themselves pre-season champs every single year. 

UtMtBiker
          Ute Fan
          @utmtbiker

But… they aren’t usually wrong.

UtahUtesRock
      Ute Fan
      @utahutesrock

How many times have they correctly picked the eventual conference champion?

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

3 times. But the champion came from their top 3 100 percent of the time. This is a perfect example of why stats can be worthless.

Oh… they are only right 30 percent…. but wait., they are pretty close every time.

2 2

Dwight89
          Ute Fan
          @jordan-buckner

Just want to point out that every year there will be six teams in the top 3 (three for the South and three for the North). Seems like a pretty low bar for us to congratulate the media for accomplishing.

Moving on…. excluding 2016 Colorado, you are right, the eventual Pac-12 champ is usually predicted to be in the top three of their division. But is that…relevant to my point? I mean I guess it’s relevant in the sense that as long as we are picked in the top three of our division we probably have a shot at winning the South and then the conference. But it in no ways helps bolster your argument that the Pac-12 media is good at predicting the South winner, considering they’ve only done it twice since 2011. 

What it does show us that the media has a decent sense of who is going to be good, but not necessarily who will win it all. 

noneyadb
            Ute Fan
            @noneyadb

Gawd your a tool. Where did biker say top 3 of the division? Media has picked the top 3 in the conference 100% of the time. One of Utah, Oregon, or Washington should win the PAC12 unless USC has a season that matches their talent level.

Dwight89
              Ute Fan
              @jordan-buckner

You’re right the media picks the top three in the conference every year 🙄. What the heck does that even mean? 

Moving on… if you look at the preseason polls they get ranked 1-6 in each division. So I was assuming that’s what Biker was referring to. 

Also, I’m simply defending my position that the media isn’t very good at picking the South winner, which is 100% factually true. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Pac 12 Media Poll