PAC 12 rumors

Viewing 6 reply threads

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Heard an interview with Ryan Abraham who is a USC correspondent this morning. A question was asked about the voting to restart the season. DJ said the rumor was that the initial vote was 7-5. USC then threatened to go Independent and Utah threatened to leave for the BIG 12. I have heard of rumors of USC going indy over the past few years but it never really had any teeth. I have never heard of Utah jumping to the BIG 12 or if they were ever even invited to. Anyone else ever hear anything about this?

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Utah to the Big XII? Could you imagine the meltdown from BYU fans?

First we take “their” spot in the Pac-12, then we take “their” spot in the Big XII?

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I heard that rumor.  Not sure of its validity.

Warrior Ute
      Ute Fan
      @warriorute

It looks like it was also reported by Tracy Pierson, UCLA reporter for 247 Sports.  I’m not sure if that adds to the validity or if it just an echo chamber.

Link

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

I have no idea as to the validity of the rumor – but it is interesting.

I prefer playing the teams in the Pac12 more than the Big12 lineup (and also prefer the Pac12 cities for visits). But it is interesting to consider that Utah might have more leverage than many (including myself) assume due to its location geographically between both leagues. Utah (and CU) could very easily fit in the Big12 footprint (CU obviously was part of the Big12 for most of its existence). Plus, Utah recruits Texas as hard as California, so the tradeoff there might not matter much.

Like I said, I prefer the Pac12 for many reasons, but Utah may not always need to act like a “just happy to be here” member of the Pac12. 

2 1

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I completely agree on all points. I selfishly want Utah in the PAC because I live in California and am able to attend games they play here every year.
        Along with Utah and CU, I also considered the possibility of the Arizona schools joining the BIG 12. their names have also been thrown around for membership in that conference in recent years.
        Again, I’m not sure of the validity of the rumors but i agree, it is interesting.

tarheelio
          Ute Fan
          @tarheelio

Wow. If Utah, CU, ASU, Arizona left, I think the PAC loses its P5 status. I live in PAC country, but I think Utah fits with the Big12 much better.

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Yeah it would be interesting especially If USC went independent. If they stayed, the old PAC 8 could potentially make it, but without USC, that would be something different. Just some thoughts.

2 1

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

I SERIOUSLY doubt the validity of that report.  For starters, I’d first heard of this rumor on cougarboard, and you KNOW how inaccurate THEIR rumors are.  Second, Utah is a MUCH better fit for the Pac-12 than the Big 12.  Just look at where our alumni and footprint are.  Third, the Big XII is really “Texas”….then everybody else.  In the Pac-12, Utah’s vote counts as 1/12th of the league’s decisions.  In the Big XII, Utah’s vote will be whatever Texas decides it’ll be.  I hate the Big XII, and want no part of it.  Ever.  And finally, if we WERE to go to the Big XII, would it have been for just one season only?  Or would it have to be a permanent migration?  If it were for just one season, that’ll look bad for the league we’re a permanent member of, and if permanent, that’ll bring about a whole list of new (re: worse) problems for the University of Utah.

That said, it WOULD have been hilarious to see the zoobs reactions if it’d happened. But that’s not enough for me to want it to happen. Therefore…

…Big NO on the Big XII.

GO UTES!!!

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

I never in my wildest dreams would have ever thought Utah would have the leverage to threaten to leave for another P5 conference and be taken seriously. But here we are 10 years after joining the P5 and we have “arrived.”

Utesby1
        Ute Fan
        @garykennedy

Given our strong recruiting history in California, we would really miss that in the Big-12. We would have a stronger recruiting story in Texas but we would always “suck the hind teat” when compared to Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, OSU, Texas Tech, and possibly Baylor. 

I don’t see us going anywhere and I think that Harlan and Watkins are too smart to make idle threats.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 PAC 12 rumors