Pathetic Local News

Viewing 6 reply threads
      6 1

iamthepreacher
      Ute Fan
      @iamthepreacher

I clicked on the Salt Lake Tribune website for a moment today, and the front page article is “Mormon blogger trumpets alt-right racial views, but is out of tune with her religion.”

Seriously? This is what it’s come down to now at the Tribune? A front page story about the views of a Mormon blogger. So small time. You could chalk it up to a slow news day, but this has pretty much become the norm over there. They really need to consider just rebranding themselves as the Mormon Tribune or Mormon Times or whatever.

Look, I know there are plenty of people in the valley that will eat up anything Mormon related. But believe it or not, not every thing that happens in the world, or happens in Utah, has anything to do with the Mormon church. You’d never know that if you frequent our local papers for your info. So my question is, where do people go to find good accurate news around here without some type of Mormon angle crow-barred in? It’s past the point of annoying now. It’s downright pathetic what is getting passed off as headline news.

3 2

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Take a step back, and look at it from the other side. When the LDS Church goes out after LGBT, transgenders and bathrooms, and women/priesthood…

You are going to p**s a lot of people off. And those people will click on, look for, and show/expose any hypocrisy they see. 

You want people to stop going after the LDS Church? Maybe the Church should stop going after other people first. 

Now, I’m not a huge Kate Kelly fan BUT how is it fair that she was kicked out and this racist piece of s**t is still a member and not only a member, but the Church used her to promote their brand? 

2 3

iamthepreacher
        Ute Fan
        @iamthepreacher

Ok, so why not create a separate forum for folks like you that want to discuss Mormon policies, history, bloggers, etc. Why masquerade as a newspaper if that is not your purpose? That is the point of my post. The people in this state that are looking for actual news deserve better.

It’s like watching a week of Steven Colbert and realizing he’s told nothing but Trump jokes. At some point you begin to wonder if he’s actually capable of discussing anything else.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

It’s quite the bad look for a Church that has recently discriminated against women (priesthood and BYU/rape culture), LGBT, transgenders, and has quite the terrible history with African Americans. Why is the Church so quick to take a stand against the gays and those uprising women, but do nothing when this happens? 

Doesn’t that concern you? 

2 1

iamthepreacher
            Ute Fan
            @iamthepreacher

What concerns me is that supposedly a big portion of the valley isn’t LDS or not actively involved, and yet it’s the only thing the news organizations consistently push on the population–as if it MUST be important to everyone. Of course I’m against discrimination. But that word gets used a little too loosely in today’s society. A group or organization, by its very nature, is exclusionary. Pick any group: season ticket holders, the neighborhood book club, Amazon prime, the Catholic church, the Mormon Church, the mensa society, Yoga class, citizens of the United States, etc. Groups can then set the rules that they want for membership. Some groups have very simple rules for participation. Others have very complex rules. But they ALL have some type of rules or definitions. If you don’t meet the criteria, then you are excluded.

In any case, if a group sets some rules that I don’t agree with, I don’t have to join. So no, it doesn’t concern me how the Mormon church wants to define its membership or establish its rules for participation. If it concerns you, then you should visit the Mormon Tribune see what they have to say about it. I’m just a guy that’s looking for the news.

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

I don’t like your justification for the LDS Church discriminating.  Yes, every group has rules that discriminates. BUT, only religion can discriminate against race, sexual orientation, sex and it be ok. 

That isn’t ok. Why is it that it’s ok for any group to not give the same privilidges to women, gays, transgenders, and for a long, long time blacks? Why is it ok for that same group to advertise a person who is blatently racist, especially when that group is much, much harder on people for the way they are born? 

Comparing Amazon, which requires you to live somewhere the post office is AND pay them money to a Church who discriminates based on things that you can’t change, but were born with…

Now, back to the news. As stated in other areas, this is Utah. There are a lot of members here. There are a lot of non-members here. There are even more people stuck in the middle: ie, born LDS but do not attend anymore. It’s quite the strange dynamic. One of the strange things about that dynamic would be the news they find news worthy. 

The Trib’s stories are listed according to a algorithm. They post the stories we click on. So, I’m not so sure it’s the Trib’s fault for having those stories front and center (even though it wasn’t when I just checked…and still isn’t front and center)…it’s our fault. All us Mormon haters, Mormons, and ex/inactive Mormons. 

Just a weird dynamic, for sure. 

zeous
                Ute Fan
                @zeous

Yes, every group has rules that discriminates. BUT, only religion can discriminate against race, sexual orientation, sex and it be ok.

Is that true?  Aren’t there black-only colleges?  And women-only colleges?  And gay-only nightclubs? Just kidding on that last one. 

Seriously though, I don’t think that claim jives with reality. 

PorterRockwell
          Ute Fan
          @porterrockwell

Utah is likely one of the most open minded and realistic church members Ive interacted with.  He certainly does not toe the company line and isn’t afraid to call them out on social or doctrine issues   Utah is a good dude.  

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Actually I ask whether Trump is capable of doing anything that isn’t worthy of ridicule.

Guba
          Ute Fan
          @guba

If you are looking for news neither of the major local papers will give you much. It’s been that way for quite some time now. Newspapers are a dying medium.

jamarcus24
      Ute Fan
      @jamarcus24

This is Utah.  There isn’t a part of this state the Church doesn’t touch.  For good or bad.  Because of that you’ll have a hard time finding any media coverage concerning this state that the Church doesn’t find itself in the middle of, whether by choice or by association (sometimes very loose association).

I get what you’re saying about the Trib though.  Peggy Fletcher Stack could say she saw President Monson eating at Jimmy Johns and half the comments on the story would be something about how the Church supports trophy hunting in Africa.  It is what it is.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Also, I just looked at the Trib, and that story is the 13th story listed. So, maybe it’s not quite as dramatic as you make it sound. 

iamthepreacher
        Ute Fan
        @iamthepreacher

It was the main, featured story when I went to the site earlier today, but you certainly don’t have to believe me. It looks like they have replaced it, but they should have replaced it with this gem of a story they have on there: “A planet of their own? Mormons’ spaceship finally comes in — on TV”….much better news. LOL!

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

lol. Yeah, that was…interesting. It’s just a crap shoot now. All “news” is so…just awful. ha ha. Oh well. At least we have this place to whine about it and then whine about the whining… ha ha. 

iamthepreacher
            Ute Fan
            @iamthepreacher

Yes, we can both agree on that for sure.

jamarcus24
          Ute Fan
          @jamarcus24

Branching off of that article if you’re into Sci-fi, The Expanse books are a very good read.

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

I’ll have to look into those. I need something new. Thank you. 

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

They need to restate that as, “Mormon blogger trumpets alt-right racial views, AND is out of tune with her religion”.

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

The Deseret News was always the Mormon paper, and the Trib was the one for everyone else around here. But…they both used to be better, more objective, and respectable.

Both papers should be embarrassed at what they’ve become. I just want news. I want to understand the community and the state. I don’t feel like either publication is very good at doing that anymore.

Daedalus
      Ute Fan
      @daedalus

Print journalism is dying, and I don’t think their online incarnations can compete.  You’re not getting the best for your money… and I can’t remember the last time I paid for a newspaper.

citation:  my job sells photos to them b2b.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I think is a lot of the problem. People trust bloggers that tell you what you want to hear over news sources. 

The papers can’t generate revenue, because of you charge me, I’ll just go http://www.my-rhetoric.com blog and get my “news”. 

The death of experts and that’s not a good thing. 

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Pathetic Local News

• This topic has 20 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Guba.