Perhaps I’m unreasonably happy that we beat the Heisman winner twice.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

You can have your trophy Caleb. We got a better one. One you’d really like to have. F**K USC

BoiseUTE
      Ute Fan
      @slarson150

It must have hurt really bad knowing the 3 runners up are going to the CFP and he is not thanks to Utah last Friday night.
      Go UTES!!

NashvilleUte
        Ute Fan
        @nashvilleute05

I totally don’t get the hype. He seemed like a pretty good player, but I don’t see heisman at all… Definitely a top tier guy, but no way is he the the best player in the country. Plus, he bailed on his previous team and wrote expletives about other teams on his fingernails. I really don’t get it…

DrJazzy
          Ute Fan
          @docute

He’ll be the number one overall pick next year. Feels like a future NFL star. 

I personally do not care at all about fingernail gate. Kid is magic with the football and can make throws that few can. 

And it was super cool Rising went toe to toe with him and outdueled him game 1. And that the team took him down game 2. Will always be super memorable – and when we see him in the NFL we’ll remember those games in 2022.

AlaskaSteveUteAlum
      Ute Fan
      @alaskasteveutealum

Williams is currently a prima donna. During the PAC-12 Championship game, the announcers were comparing him to Patrick Mahomes. Mahomes is talented and tough. Williams has talent similar to Mahomes, but is not tough. He’s a crybaby, instead of a competitor, when he doesn’t get his way. The Utah defense exposed those flaws, which he’ll need to overcome in order to succeed at the next level.

DrJazzy
        Ute Fan
        @docute

???? He played thru a tough, painful injury. Couldn’t move the same and was a sitting duck against a relentless rush. Screams toughness to me. 

ayoriver
      Ute Fan
      @ayoriver

Mahomes didn’t really win anything in college, I think it was easy for Andy Reid to point out what he needed to improve to take the next steps. We should all probably hope Williams doesn’t get a little humility from his losses to Utah. If he looks at it like, “I won the Heisman and we still weren’t in the playoff” and actually tries to address his shortcomings (like not just stepping out of bounds instead of risking injury on an awkward slide or taking unnecessary hits), everyone on their schedule is in trouble.

fosternano
        Ute Fan
        @fosternano

Also if you listen to the kelce podcast (new heights I believe) they have Mahomes on for an episode and he talks about his rookie development.

He attributes a lot of his growth to Alex Smith taking the time to mentor him. Just another reason to like Mahomes and Smith 😁

AlaskaSteveUteAlum
        Ute Fan
        @alaskasteveutealum

If you had the opportunity to see Mahomes play at Texas Tech when he, and his team, got pounded, he wasn’t a crybaby. He also made an effort to congratulate members of the opposing team after a loss. He didn’t get the press coverage that a player at USC gets, but did show maturity and humility. It was those factors, as well as his incredible skills, that made him a high draft choice by the Chiefs.

SorryWife
      Ute Fan
      @sorrywife

We’ve got to be the first team to do that right? Twice in the same season.

6 1

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

The Heisman Trophy is overrated and has zero relationship to massive success at the NFL level. All you have to do is glance at the names of those that have won it and see where and how they’ve ended up. Williams will be the latest Heisman winner to find that things aren’t as easy in the NFL as in college.

1 1

Crazyforu
        Ute Fan
        @crazyforu

The Hesiman is overrated? Come on now, Utah fans would literally print a billion t-shirts, stickers, whatever else you can think of if they ever won a Heisman.

Sure, it’s a popularity contest. It’s a massive award though that is far from overrated.

I get it, our guys beat them twice this year, and he had F**k Utah painted on his nails. He’s a damn good player, and by many accounts a really good dude too.

Yes, Utah got their own trophy last Friday night, what Caleb got last night is a really special one Utah fans look like idiots trying to discredit it. Literally no different than rival fan bases saying the Rose Bowl doesn’t carry any cache any more. Just dumb.

DrJazzy
          Ute Fan
          @docute

Very well said. Lol I don’t get our fanbase sometimes.

fosternano
          Ute Fan
          @fosternano

My big gripe with the Heisman this year were the finalists.

3 of the 4 finals lost in the moment where a Heisman candidate should win. If you’re being considered, that means you can step and win the when it really matters. These QB’s showed that they can put up good stats, but they couldn’t win when it mattered most.

Granted Ohio state and TCU are still in the playoff, but losing on the big game is pretty bad.

The 4th QB being Georgia and while Georgia is amazing, he’s a system QB at best and not a Heisman QB.

I almost wish the Heisman was given to a non QB this year because they all fell short when it mattered most IMO

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

You said absolutely nothing to counter my statement that the Heisman Trophy is overrated. I say it’s overrated because, to an exceedingly large amount of people, it means that whoever is selected as the winner will be a superstar in the NFL. The reality is that’s far from the case. I was on YouTube last night on various Trojan-related channels and I read and heard stuff like “the NFL is going to have to go to an NBA-type lottery draft because teams are going to lose on purpose to draft Williams.” Give me a break…yes, he’s a great athlete, yes, he had a great season, but he snuck up on teams this year in the PAC. If he has a similar season in 2023 then I’ll tip my hat to him because it’s always difficult to do a repeat, as we’ve seen time and time again with players that have won the Heisman and come back for another season.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

The simple reality is the NFL is full of Caleb Williams. So instead of lining up against maybe 3-4 nfl guys. He will be lining up against 11 nfl guys and they even sub in more nfl guys.
            Also the other reality Williams fans need to see is against Oregon st, and Utah. Teams that play defense really made him struggle.

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

Eagle, completely agree. I think a lot of fan reactions (the oohs and aahs) to Williams are due to recency bias. Did anyone on this site ever watch guys like Johnny Manziel, Mike Vick, or Lamar Jackson play? It isn’t like Williams is the first QB to have a season like the one he did. For me, next season will be the tell on Williams. All teams have a lot of film on him now and know what kind of tactics and techniques need to be applied to have success against him. In addition, USC plays a pretty tough schedule in 2023. They’re away to Notre Dame, away to Oregon, and finish up the season with UCLA, Utah, and Washington.

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

The tactic isn’t too run way too fast. He always LOVES that spin back to his left.
                An example is the CCG how they tried to wrap up and take him down. Vs BLOW him up like O’Toole did when he was hobbled. Williams can react like Dodgeball. But the smart wrap up removing angles destroys him.

2008 National Champ
                Ute Fan
                @cptmrgn05

2023 Schedule hasn’t been released yet. If you are looking at FBS schedules dot com, they list the unscheduled away games first and then the home.

It makes no sense that the conference can’t come up with schedules for each two year cycle at one time but Pac-12 gonna Pac-12. I assume they think they are smart enough to manipulate the matchups in advance for television purposes but they haven’t been very successful so far. I much prefer the way the SEC does it where they play their conference opponents the same week every season.

The Miami Ute
                  Ute Fan
                  @themiamiute

I was and you’re right…I knew that the actual scheduling, as shown, was way out in left field. I mean, there’s no way that USC finishes the season playing five consecutive home games.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Where have we seen this before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUBz1hT4ek4

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Perhaps I’m unreasonably happy that we beat the Heisman winner twice.