Politically correct U

Viewing 6 reply threads
      5 4

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I don’t want to go all political (I know “other” sites are more political) but when it is shoved in my face I feel the need to comment… Anyone else notice the new “diversity” ads on the big screen at the game? They actually have to advertise that the University of Utah “accepts” every race, color, gender, sexual identity, sexual orientation, gender this, gender that…Does that mean they didn’t before? During the “announcement” I overheard the guy in the row in front of me say “good Lord can you imagine if they ran an ad like this here 30 years ago?”

This seems more like advertising a political position or belief more than a public service announcement, regardless of whether or not you sit or stand to pee, or aren’t sure.

13 2

PorterRockwell
      Ute Fan
      @porterrockwell

I construed it as a PSA touting the U’s diversity and non judgement sl environment for students and staff.

I felt it was a solid effort to educate people that the state is more than a homogeneous collection of white people.
      Seems to me it was proactive piece People in my section generally se me to like it

6 1

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I will play devil’s advocate for fun here. In order to be fair an not “insensitive” shouldn’t they also announce that they support heterosexual white people who identify with the gender they were born with?

Anonymous
          Inactive

About 96% of the country is heterosexual. About 74% are white. 87% in Utah. Somehow, I don’t think we have trouble fitting in. But maybe that’s just me.

Anyway, if you’re referring to the “You Are Welcome at the University of Utah” video, the largest demographic shown in it is the heterosexual white.

3 6

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

.05% of the population is hermaphrodites. Shouldn’t they mention them too?  How on earth has the U survived since 1850 without diversity sensitivity?  Did anyone think before seeing that welcome video that the U did NOT accept anyone based on race, gender, or whether or not they identify as a power tool? 

Anonymous
              Inactive

It’s basically a recruitment video. I don’t see it as a message on “sensitivity” so much as a push to improve the university. The more contact with people of other backgrounds/worldviews, the more you learn.

Tony (admin)
                Admin/Founder
                @admin

Ok, so they see that video and think “The U is sensitive to gender-x or race-x over some other institution” so they go there. Racial or gender or sexual orientation sensitivity of an institution wasn’t on my mind when I applied for the U. But then again, they didn’t have running water, electricity or color photography back then either.

Anonymous
                  Inactive

Sensitivity wasn’t on my mind either, but diversity was. I chose the U for many reasons, but a large one was the demographics of the student body compared to the other schools here.

I was sick of living in a white, mormon suburb that basically had one way of thought on everything. I wanted to be exposed to other ways of looking at the world.

leftyjace
          Ute Fan
          @leftyjace

Isn’t that included when they say every race and sexual orientation?
          Sure, point that out if there’s another specific race/orientation cited, but not needed otherwise. But that’s just my opinion.
          Saying you accept all is not implying hostility towards any particular demographic group.

SkinyUte
          Ute Fan
          @skinyute

I will play devil’s advocate for fun here. In order to be fair an not “insensitive” shouldn’t they also announce that they support heterosexual white people who identify with the gender they were born with?

Right, because heterosexual white people have been the target of such significant persecution and discrimination over the years. Someone needs to stand up for them!!

BulgieUte
          Ute Fan
          @bulgieute

There was non trans white people on that video, what are you ranting about with all this? I get that it bothers you and even understand why you’re uncomfortable but I’m lost on what the point is your trying to get across.

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

Personally I like the video, I think it’s well done and pretty cool. Yes, it is political correctness in action, but I like the message.

I also feel like it’s a subtle dig at tds which we know is, um, not as accepting of all types. 

leftyjace
        Ute Fan
        @leftyjace

THIS.
        That was the first thing I thought when I saw the video as well.
        I also think that it may partially be due to the current political climate. I am not saying that Trump is a racist or anything.
        But I am saying that certain prejudicial groups are becoming more vocal and active because they feel encouraged by the current political climate.
        One unfortunate side effect of that increased activity is that certain minority groups, whether they be race or sexual orientation, don’t feel quite as safe and are not sure where safety lies.
        Maybe this is just a good way for the University of Utah to let everyone know that our school is a place of love and acceptance for all.
        Yes, it always has been. But given the current circumstances a politically correct reminder is not necessarily a bad thing.

1 5

COFfrom83
          Ute Fan
          @coffrom83

certain prejudiced groups were much more emboldened by the the prior administration and remain so because of the trump derangement syndrome so prevalent in our media. Please tell me why Curt Schilling got fired from ESPN but the woman who called trump a white supremacist kept her job.

Anonymous
            Inactive

Schilling was given a second chance and blew it. Not really comparable.

SkinyUte
            Ute Fan
            @skinyute

Please tell me why Curt Schilling got fired from ESPN but the woman who called trump a white supremacist kept her job.

Schilling was told twice by ESPN to knock it off before they fired him. Jemele Hill just received the exact same warning that Schilling got.

Big difference is that the previous POTUS didn’t choose to directly attack Schilling for his statements, therefore it didn’t get nearly the attention that this one did. Trump, otoh…

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Subtle dig at tds. Hadn’t thought of that. But did you really think the U didn’t accept people of all types before seeing the video? I never realized that was an issue they needed to clarify.

Anonymous
          Inactive

In that respect, it’s for those outside of Utah who think only mormons live here. And mormons haven’t had the greatest track record with minorities.

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

That really makes sense. 

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

I liked the video. It was good way to send the message that the U is more than just the 100% straight, white population that it has the reputation of being. And that they are accepting of all students, regardless of whatever characteristics or backgrounds they may have.

The fact people have a problem with that message honestly baffles me.

1 8

COFfrom83
      Ute Fan
      @coffrom83

no, the prior potus, on the other hand, chose to attack the police, people of religion, those who support the 2nd amendment, those built their own businesses, and anyone else who disagreed with him.

espn has a real problem going hyper pc. they are losing viewership because people don’t want politics with their sports – like we are unfortunately doing here. Why do you think kapernik is still unemployed?

hill was treated differently than schilling, and we all know why SHE was given preferential treatment.

SkinyUte
        Ute Fan
        @skinyute

no, the prior potus, on the other hand, chose to attack the police, people of religion, those who support the 2nd amendment, those built their own businesses, and anyone else who disagreed with him.

Which is a straw man for a completely different debate than we’re having here. But thanks for bringing it up, I guess.

Why do you think kapernik is still unemployed?

We have wife beaters, drug abusers, and other criminals on NFL rosters without owners even thinking twice. Yet the fact that Kaepernick kneels before games is keeping them away? Yeah, right.

He’s not on a roster because he’s a mediocre, gimmicky QB. If owners felt that he would give them a chance to win, I 100% guarantee he’d be on a roster.

hill was treated differently than schilling, and we all know why SHE was given preferential treatment.

How so? Both were given warnings to knock it off on their first offense, and neither was fired. What else is the difference in their treatments, in your mind?

I will grant you that one had significantly more public attention. That does tend to happen when the POTUS decides to personally go after your statements, and is hardly the fault of ESPN.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

The video in question, for those who weren’t at the game to see it.

shakeitsugaree
        Ute Fan
        @shakeitsugaree

I liked it – thanks for posting

Riot West
      Ute Fan
      @riotwest

Thumbs down and here’s why: You felt compelled to comment on this video (and posted in wrong category 🙂 ). Why do we need to say everyone is welcome? Probably because there are places that not everyone feels welcome. I’m sure that white, straight males in Utah feel pretty right at home, but others? Maybe not so much.

I’d glad that the U has a proactive stance on inclusiveness rather than staying silent on the matter. If the U was silent, that would annoy me.

leftyjace
        Ute Fan
        @leftyjace

If only we knew an @admin that could change the category of this post… 🙂

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Yeah right? I debated whether to put it in politics or football. Since I saw it at the football game there you go.

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

Moved to politics category.

Viewing 6 reply threads

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Politics Politically correct U