Position depth concern : WR

Viewing 5 reply threads

utahby05
      Ute Fan
      @utahby05

WR’s returning, with significant experience include : D. Vele, S. Enis, & Jaylen Dixon.

Other returners with limited experience, but great potential: Money Parks & Makai Cope. 

New WR recruits (signed) that join team in fall : Tao Johnson & Chris Reed. Both are true Freshmen. 

Tight Ends are a huge part of the passing game. Running Backs, particularly M. Bernard, will also be targeted. 

However, we are thin, in terms of pass catching WR’s. 

You have to think the Coaches are watching the portal to add help at this position. Anyone know of any potential WR’s (transfers in) the Coaches are seriously targeting ?

TIA & Go Utes !!

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

I’m not concerned. 🤷‍♂️

concerned
        Ute Fan
        @concerned

No you are not concerned.  I’m concerned, and always have been.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Don’t forget the highly talented incoming freshman Mbanasor (sp?).

utahby05
        Ute Fan
        @utahby05

True. S. Mbanasor is another incoming Freshman. 
        I didn’t mention him above, as I wasn’t sure if he is slated to play WR.

Some sites list him as a TE. 

Still hoping the Coaches can get a WR transfer. We’ll see….

GO UTES!! 

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

You’re pass catching spectrum bleeds into the TE’s Brant Kuithe, Dalton Kincaid, and Munir McClain. You have a group of experienced and capable playmakers to move the offense and take pressure off of the WR group.

utahby05
        Ute Fan
        @utahby05

100% agree that the TE’s will be a big part of the passing game. The Running Backs, may also be involved to a lesser degree. And, I mentioned this in the initial post. 

I’m just saying, it would be great to add another WR, that has 1 – 2 yrs of experience. 

Given the transfers out, the Coaches have to have a handful of scholarships. I’d like to see one used for WR. And maybe another used on another DB. 

Thoughts ? 

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

We don’t have the NIL money to throw at top talent. This year is the last year, maybe ever, that we have a shot at a CFP berth, before it all descends into chaos. I think Whittingham retires because of this crazy money/player free agency issue.

The coaches are looking at a JUCO WR Right now. You know, for depth. 🙄

utahby05
            Ute Fan
            @utahby05

Agreed about the NIL concerns.   

I hate how, big market, professional teams can practically buy a championship. Examples are : the Dodgers or the Lakers.  Now, it doesn’t always work out. see the current Lakers.

But, lots of players are eager to join big market teams. They believe they’ll benefit by having greater exposure. And, if that team is competitive – that is just a bonus. 

College football teams like USC and Texas, who have been down (recently), can use NIL to quickly turn their programs around. And for Non Big Market College sports fans – this is frustrating. 

Hope either the NCAA, or the P5 leagues can quickly get control of this NIL business. I mean, it seems some teams are throwing big $ at players that are Not even in the portal.  That Cannot be allowed to happen. 

#RollUtes     

dystopiamembrane
              Ute Fan
              @dystopiamembrane

This is simply part of the beautiful stage play that is college football, a sport that many of us have been watching for decades. I look forward to the change that this new process will bring. Go, Utes.

Ute Dub
            Ute Fan
            @chestercopperpot

If top schools can offer NIL money at your top players like what happened with Kincaid, this game will lose me pretty fast. The pro game will start to look more attractive because at least there you have to go through a draft and teams have rights to their investment for a few years. Additionally, the NFL has a hard cap, college football NIL is infinite.

utahby05
              Ute Fan
              @utahby05

This ^ is a Spot On take.  And I’m with ya.  

Love the College game. Need some real Regulation on this NLI.  

Go Utes !

ps: Glad U picked up on the #RollUtes reference

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Unless Utah lands some high level established deep threat 4/5 star kid very soon, Utes are better off focusing reps on the talent already in the room. Will be interesting to see if Kuithe drops weight, gets his speed up and WR route running down molding into a Cooper Kupp type player. Kuithe lacks the size to play TE in the NFL so moving him to WR will help his draft potential and cause a ton of problems next season. Ludwig has an arsenal of formation options that will force teams to make some tough choices at the line of scrimmage. Keep an eye on the Freshman Landon Morris and Sidney Mbanasor along with the other up and coming TEs on the roster. 

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

I’m honestly not concerned, particularly w/how little we rely upon the WR unit to move our O.

FWIW, BK worked w/the WR unit this Spring.

We’re perfectly fine there, IMO…..In fact, I’m unconcerned about ANY position group…..Our CB-issue in the RB was a fluke.

2 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

We could have wide receivers with no fingers and we’d be basically just as good. WR is the one position group that can be bad.

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

I honestly don’t know why anybody would classify our current WR unit as “bad”…..But I understand your point.

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

They aren’t bad… just saying, even if they were bad, we’d still be a great team.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Position depth concern : WR