Possible NHL Team Names

Viewing 4 reply threads

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Here’s a tell for you Utah hockey fans. The Smith Entertainment Group (SEG) has put in for copyright six team names. Those names are Utah Fury, Utah Yeti, Utah Blizzard, Utah Venom, Utah HC, and Utah Hockey Club. If I was a betting man, I would guess that the eventual team name is going to come out from one of those first four labels. My favorites are Yeti followed by Blizzard…I’ll take a pass on the other two.

Red Son
      Ute Fan
      @redson

They also added Outlaws too to the trademark applications. I imagine there will a a bunch more too in the next few weeks. Also, the idea is that the first year they won’t have a team name yet and they will be named Utah Hockey Club until they get the actual new name and change it in the 2nd year.

2 1

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Outlaws is the best NHL name, so far. Butch Cassidy grew up in Utah when it was the Wild West, and he was known as an outlaw for robbing trains and banks. Now we’re going to rob pucks and division championships, especially from the Avs. Yeti sounds like something from my kids cartoon show.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

If you’re going to go there, why not call the team the “Wild Bunch?”

//r00t4Utes
      Ute Fan
      @r00t4utes

I thought I read it was anonymous on who registered those names as trademarks, but that was Thu or Fri, so more could’ve come out.

And I like the idea of Yeti, but yeah, I’m not a fan of the name. Too bad there’s not a better nickname or alternate name for the Yeti that was better sounding for a team name.

I do like Outlaws, but it’s be surprised if these was the name just given the “Utah” brand of the other teams. Also, I think there was an old football team like AFL days called the Outlaws, I think even from AZ…… that actually makes me like it more. Take the team and an old name from the state, lol.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

The Arizona Outlaws played in the United States Football League in 1985. They were originally the Oklahoma Outlaws when they were established in 1984. Only existed for two seasons.

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

I personally think the nickname should have some type of connection to the mountains. With the NHL being a winter sport and all, SLC is uniquely situated (along with Colorado) for a mountain theme. For this reason, I prefer either the Blizzard or the Freeze or an animal nickname that you’d find in our mountains like the Utah Moose or the Utah Elk with the mountains in the background of whatever logo they go with.

//r00t4Utes
            Ute Fan
            @r00t4utes

I was going to mention similar, that instead of Yeti Blizzard sounds a bit better and could pretty much use the same design and color scheme for both names.

Like purple with the light ice blue color, that was used in some fan mockups of the Jazz’s mountain jersey.

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

Agreed. Would be cool to have both the Avalanche and the Blizzard in the Rockies.

The Miami Ute
                Ute Fan
                @themiamiute

I’ve seen a logo design for the Blizzard name that also incorporates a moose motif. I can sign on to that. Here’s a Reddit page that has some, I think, additional pretty cool logo designs for a future Utah NHL team:

Utah hockey branding concepts

AlohaUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @alohaute

That Stags concept is great.

MDUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @mdute

Yea I’ve seen a bunch of these too. I saw a cooler one of the Blizzard somewhere with a Stag, I believe, on the front.

The Yeti idea is too Scooby Doo for my liking.

The Miami Ute
                    Ute Fan
                    @themiamiute

Yeah, that’s this one:

Utah Blizzard

This guy, Tyler Stevenson, has a bunch of excellent design ideas.

MDUte
                      Ute Fan
                      @mdute

Yes! That’s the one! Really cool IMO

Utah Blizzard with an elk or stag as the mascot named Rocky…that sounds more “Utah” to me.

UTE98
                        Ute Fan
                        @ute98

Don’t think Rocky is going to be the mascot’s name. Already taken. It’s funny I live in Denver, hate the Broncos, but am an Avalanche, Rockies, and Nuggets fan. Don’t go to all the games, or watch all the games, and I’m not switching alliance to Utah MLB or NHL teams.

I saw Steelheads mentioned before, that is an Idaho Hockey Team, so not that one either.

Rocky has been claimed.

UTE98
                        Ute Fan
                        @ute98

My favorite Hockey mascot? Possibly this one.

King Tot!

And I have this hat.

Sweet hat!

MDUte
                        Ute Fan
                        @mdute

Then maybe name the mascot Wasatch??

The Miami Ute
                        Ute Fan
                        @themiamiute

I like your thinking. What can be more Utah/SLC than Wasatch?

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Please don’t give Ryan Smith any ideas about indigenous animals native to Utah. If they named it the Utah Cougars I’d have to pull my fandom

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

Haha! Great callout, I think/hope that goes for all of us!

Red Son
        Ute Fan
        @redson

I saw an article that looked into the anonymous filers and said that the depths that this company went into making themselves anonymous would have cost them a lot of money and makes it more legit, not to mention the cost of the trademark application too. Normally, a squatter doesn’t usually go to that effort and he mentioned that squatters go after domains way more than trademarks because of the cost and effort needed. The LLC involved, hired a local prominent law firm to help with the process, so he seemed to think it was definitely Ryan Smith’s company.

2 1

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

The best name is the Utah Black Diamonds.

As some have already mentioned, we should be highlighting our mountains, our winter and snow sports heritage and legacy. Also, anything snow and mountains related is pretty neutral as far as it not preferring one group or another (pioneers, etc.)

Our skiing is already world class and Olympic. To have one winter sport point back to another is perfect.

Utah Black Diamonds.

Then, while we’re at it, once we land the MLB club, it should point back to our thriving spring/summer/fall outdoors excellency. And the Utah Cutthroats is perfect for that.

Utah Black Diamonds for NHL
      Utah Cutthroats for MLB

Let it be so.

Red Son
        Ute Fan
        @redson

The problem is the company Black Diamond may be an issue with getting a trademark accepted, since they both deal in clothing merchandise

FountainofUte
          Ute Fan
          @fountainofute

Yeah, I don’t know how the nuances of that work. I think some of it comes down to how likely one is to confuse two brands, or is one brand stealing or drafting off the brand value of another. I’d find that hard to prove here.

Then again, I was surprised the SL Buzz had to change names because Georgia Tech’s mascot’s name is Buzz and they thought a minor league baseball team on the other side of the country was cutting into their mascot’s brand value.

So who knows?

Utah Black Diamonds.

Ya gotta love the sound of that. It’s badass.

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

I think Utah Blizzard and you can have a Yeti as your mascot and call him/her anything you want that is Utah related. Call the Yeti “Wasatch.” Which kind of phonetically sounds like Sasquatch. Black Diamond would be difficult to get through legally AND very few who don’t ski would have a clue to it’s meaning.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Professional Sports Possible NHL Team Names