QB controversy

Viewing 6 reply threads
      5 2

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I really feel like Ludwig and Whitt are in a very hard situation going into Fall. If we operate under the assumption that Rising won’t be back until end of September….Which is where I think he will be back. That is a real problem.

If Rising’s backup does really well against Florida what do you do? A road victory at Baylor and I think it is hard to make a change.
      KSL Link to Josh Furlong

Tednab
      Ute Fan
      @tednab

Behind Rising .. at this point just hoping they are as good as advertised ; cuz barns ain’t the answer

1 3

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I get you are behind Rising. My question is a hypothetical. You essentially have a 3-0 QB headed into a Home game with fUCLA and @OSU on the horizon. Rising isn’t back until October. Longer it goes on the harder it becomes to do anything. I think winning At Baylor you name him the Starter and have a conversation with Rising then the team.

Obviously loaded with assumed victories.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Meh. Don’t borrow tomorrow’s problem’s today. It’ll all shake out OK.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Good problem to have, best outcome for us right now. This isn’t Troy Williams vs Tyler Huntley. They would hand the ball to Rising, but would have the luxury of doing it selectively. Rising’s resume is 2x champion in 2 seasons at the helm. Three wins (two P5 wins) won’t unseat him.

5 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

You are looking way too far into the future. 

Step 1: Spring ball. If Johnson hasn’t progressed enough but Rising looks on track, go get a transfer QB. 

If Johnson has progressed but Rising doesn’t look on track, go get a QB. 

If Rising looks to be on track and Johnson has progressed, don’t go get a QB. 

That’s as far as anyone needs to worry about. Once spring ball ends, we will know better what to do. 

Yergensen
        Ute Fan
        @yergensen

Last 2 plug and play transfer QBs were a complete failure. Trust the guys you’ve recruited and developed. If we lose a couple games getting the next guy experience, has to happen sooner or later.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

He is raising a different set of circumstances because that is how @Utah thinks. I am saying assuming all that takes place and whoever that 1 guy is he leads you to 3-0.

Also if they pursue a transfer..which I don’t even know what is available right now Ludwig has a way harder decision on his plate and I doubt Utah is sniffing 3-0.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Getting a QB transfer certainly can mitigate a lot of the risk. My hypothetical isn’t saying who the day one starter is. I am only saying what you would do if that guy gives you three wins heading into when Rising will probably start getting reps.
        Hell let’s go all of the way with the fantasy wins. Utah is 5-0. Offense has averaged 35 ppg and RedZone efficiency has improved.
        What do you think Ludwig does??

2 12

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

I didn’t want rising back in the first place. Knowing that he won’t be back until well into the season and won’t be 100% for probably the whole season is enough for me. What do we hang onto rising for? He had a great tenure but it’s time. Let’s move on and not spoil our goodwill with the QBs that have more than waited for their chance. I think its foolish to hold up the development of the program as a whole for a simply good QB. No one wanted Huntely to come back for his f**kin 8th season why Cam? Huntely was the better QB. Anyone know why?

7 2

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

Most vacuous comment ever posted on here.

1 6

RoboUte
          Ute Fan
          @hamplate

I mean nobody ever has an answer as to why we hold onto a journeyman and let our QB room whither for it. You included. Lets see some content in your comments for once, I have faith in you.

3 6

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Using vacuous in an online message board about sports says more about you than Robo’s comments.

4 1

D T
            Ute Fan
            @azute1

Tell me when it’s appropriate for use according to you & only you.

Then explain exactly what it says about me.

SoCalUteFan
        Ute Fan
        @socalutefan

Inside info is Rising will be ready for Florida or Baylor

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Need a little more context on Rising being back at the end of September. Does that mean cleared by the doctor’s to resume full activity or game ready? I’m assuming you mean game ready but if the situation is that we would really be talking about game 6 or 7 I think Rising becomes “break glass in case of emergency” instead of “returning savior”.

Using your scenario, it really comes down to how the 3 wins happened. Assuming Rising is ready to go week 4, the staff will need to decide whether making the change to a guy who hasn’t played a competitive down in roughly 10 months will have a greater benefit to the team than sticking with what won the last 3 weeks. So if the defense and special teams are playing lights out, it gives the option of continuing with the current starter and phasing Rising in until he shows that he is fully back and the team plays better with him in the game.

At the same time, if whoever starts the first 3 games is leading the team to multi-score wins without making major mistakes, you do what you can to get Rising some reps but you have to understand that there is a reason Wally Pipp is famous.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Follow up: In the original scenario, game 3 is actually the decider not game 4 since it’s a throwaway game. You give an 80% Rising some backup snaps against Weber to get his feet under him and shake off the cobwebs. What you are looking at is his mobility: can he move around well enough to buy time because if he is a statue, he’s going to get hurt against P5 competition.

I’d also have Rising spend the next 6 months watching tape of Caleb Williams and Michael Penix who are both excellent at moving behind the LOS while keeping their eyes downfield. While I would like to see improved accuracy from Rising on the deep ball, my only complaint with his game is that I think he gives up on the pass too soon. Huntley excelled when he stopped taking off at the first sign of a pass rush and Stroud showed how subtle movements in the pocket put pressure on the coverage and gave time for receivers to come open. Deep routes and crossing patterns are a waste of energy if the QB is going to tuck and run before the receiver can go 15 yards or throw the hot route 90% of the time.

Tednab
          Ute Fan
          @tednab

Rising is gonna have a hard time staying healthy for a full season, despite his deficiencies , he’s a baller and a leader and is a plus to have on the team period. Dude has earned it.

I am hoping our running backs will be able to carry most the load this year given their distractions last year, as a group they didn’t reach their potential.

It will be interesting how this year evolves . Goal at minimum should be to win a dam bowl game for once .. lol nitpicking .. back to back champs feel pretty dam good

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football QB controversy