Rice-Eccles Stadium

Viewing 3 reply threads

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

I’m sure every fan says the same thing about their own school, but I honestly think that Rice-Eccles Stadium is objectively one of the best looking stadiums in all of college football.

Between the mountain backdrop to the east, and the fieldhouse peeking over the north end–and now the completed bowl configuration–this is a stadium with a lot of unique features and loads of personality.  The fact that it sells out every game has a ton to do with it too.  It seems like it’s the perfect size to maintain an intimate feel.  But on the other hand, it’s certainly big (and loud) enough to make for a major college football atmosphere. 

Besides replacing all the bleachers with chair backs, I honestly can’t think of anything I’d change about it.

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

Very much agreed. I try to visit as many stadiums as possible. Some very overrated in my opinion. With the enhancements over the last 20 years to RES, it’s definitely one of the best looking stadiums in the world. 

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

That’s a good segue to an interesting poll idea: What is the most overrated stadium you’ve ever been to?

I’ll go with The Big House. It was in a horrible state of disrepair. Rust stains on all the beams. Uncomfortable seats. Doesn’t trap sound at all, leading to a very church-like atmosphere. Trough urinals? Come on…this isn’t the army.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

I remember reading a study by the White Sox or the Cubs that found the trough urinals much more efficient considering space than the fixtures with spacing. Much quicker to get 500 guys through at halftime. So they kept them in a renovation. I don’t mine, but then I was in the army. I also remember taking my kids thru that format once, they thought it was funny to pee on the wall. The wall trough was much better then the round trough that I am sure you would like even less.

Johnny
          Ute Fan
          @johnny

Now that you bring up bathrooms, there are some studiums in Europe that are pretty sickly set up. Soaked myself in tomato juice the night after visiting the heads at St James’ Park in Newcastle, England.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

I think that is part of the charm.  It is like walking through history.  At places like Nebraska and Notre Dame you go through this modern facade and as you enter the bowels of the building you see each expansion until you finally get to your seats.  At Nebraska they still have the exterior windows in the bathrooms and the troughs are ceramic tubs.

I missed out on the Big House but I would imagine it is much like the other turn of the century stadiums in the upper mid-west that I have visited over the years.  I actually think it is pretty cool unlike the budget build in Utah County…

Johnny
        Ute Fan
        @johnny

Rose Bowl for UCLA games during the day are pretty brutal. Much like the Big House, the Ute fans the only ones making noise. And can get pretty hot too.

Mule
          Ute Fan
          @mule

Chair seating and better/more bathrooms are the last 2 things on the wishlist for Rice Eccles. Oh, and a bigger concourse for the foot traffic. I know it’s been a while guys, but did you forget the cattle call during halftime!?

But yes, I love the stadium. <3 weeks to go!!!

SOWhat
            Ute Fan
            @sowhat

My family and I went to see the Utes play at Notre Dame, the campus was amazing, the seats not so much. We sat in the bleachers in the South end. The bleachers were 2×6’s, very uncomfortable and poorly marked. We had two move twice because we were in the wrong seats. The fans were very friendly. I only wish the Utes would have played better.

Tony (admin)
              Admin/Founder
              @admin

Yep I was there too.  The benches were not comfortable and I had to tell about 20 people what a “Ute” is.  They all thought it was a bird because of swoop. 

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

<p I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the Rose Bowl. The Coliseum is a much better experience. Problem is, it’s in South Central and finding parking can be a pain.

Johnny
            Ute Fan
            @johnny

There are sneaky places where you can park near the Coliseum where people charge $20 that I trust. Walking about a quarter mile, but safe enough that “The Club” won’t get ripped off your Yugo.

The USC tailgates probably 2nd to Utah. Utah definitely getting a rep as one of the better places to tailgate. #3 might be Oregon.

Dallas
        Ute Fan
        @dallas

Penn State’s stadium is big and ugly. Bare metal and concrete seats with seat numbers so close together only children could fit where assigned.

Johnny
          Ute Fan
          @johnny

Yeah, it’s very similar to our friend’s stadium down south. Poor design, but great tailgaters there for sure. I’ve been to the original “Happy Valley”.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Really interested to see how much louder the south end is going to be. NEZ are always the best fans but damn it just seems like it is going to really echo off that south end.

Johnny
        Ute Fan
        @johnny

They’re going to be right down on the floor as they run out the tunnel. I’m very intrigued to see the future of how this new dynamic plays out.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Rice-Eccles Stadium