Rose Parade

Viewing 4 reply threads

ravensute
      Ute Fan
      @ravensute

Any thoughts or info from people who have attended? Grandstand tix are $80-120 – worth it? The website says people can save free spots along the road from noon the previous day (which I am unwilling to do for any parade). I assume those spots fill up, but does anyone have first hand experience?

I’d also love any advice on parking. I booked a space near the parade (about 1 mile from the stadium) just in case I decide I want it (only $7). How early do stadium lots fill up? Should I just park in Pasadena in the morning and walk back to the car after the game?

Can’t believe I’m going to a Rose Bowl featuring the Utes!

MineralUte
      Ute Fan
      @mineralute

From what I’ve read online attending the parade and the game on the same day is quite the endeavor. I’m not a parade guy myself, but if there were a parade that I’d want to see it would be this one – but I would never pay to watch one. I’m surprised there is a charge for it.

mesovanhorny
        Ute Fan
        @mesovanhorny

There’s only a charge for reserved seating

mesovanhorny
      Ute Fan
      @mesovanhorny

Long time Rose Parade attendee here.  Forget the grandstand, unless you like being packed in like a sardine and paying for it.  It’s much better with a street view and you get to interact with some cool locals.  

The street spots do indeed fill up fast.  Locals get out there right at 12 pm the day before and rope off areas, etc.  Camping along the parade route is actually quite a party.  Think of it like an 18-hour tailgate.  It’s wild!  And really fun.

Having said that, I would get up around 6 am on New Year’s Day and head directly to the LDS Church (next to a Pasadena library) on Sierra Madre and park there.  Then walk on down to Villa St & Sierra Madre & find a spot on the median.  It’s a breeze.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&showlabs=1&mid=1bo9mER2bzXONexESjILTnZK22xI&ll=34.153846579459206%2C-118.09512538053727&z=17

12PAC
        Ute Fan
        @12pac

Thanks for this. Any thoughts on whehter it is hard to attaned the parade and game? Best way to get from the parade to the game?

Thanks-

mesovanhorny
          Ute Fan
          @mesovanhorny

at Villa & Sierra Madre, the parade ususally ends at around 11:30 or 12 (& gets into gear at around 8:30 or 9 am).  It’s really not a big deal to head directly to the game afterwards, but the traffic will be hellacious.  You’re going from the far end of Pasadena (end of the parade route) to the other side of Pasadena, so expect traffic & a lot of it.  You can hop on the 210, but I would probably take Colorado Blvd directly down to the game.  I think the Rose Bowl folks still park people on the grass all around the Brookside golf course.  

But yeah, most of the fans who attend the parade to cheer on the band and cheerleaders usually head right to the game after the parade ends.  It’s totally doable.

12PAC
            Ute Fan
            @12pac

Thanks so much. What about Uber/pubic transportation?

mesovanhorny
              Ute Fan
              @mesovanhorny

I’ve never done it, so I’m not sure.  I’m sure Uber would add a massive surcharge in Pasadena on New Year’s Day & you’ll still be in traffic.  Public transportation in Southern California sucks.  You’ll be in traffic, but be patient and follow the other cars.  It does indeed suck.

I have to go on record here and say that everyone needs to experience the Rose Parade at least once, and preferably not from bleachers.  It’ll be very cool to see the Utah band and cheerleaders in the historic parade.  If you’re on the street, you get high fives from the bands, roses that fall of of the amazing floats, lots of interaction with the parade particpants and it’s really a blast. If you’re at the end of the 5.5 mile route, go ahead and make signs that you hold up to the marching bands that says, “Almost there.  Only 3 more miles.”  They dig that!

Near the stadium, you’ll find a lot of residents selling parking on their lawns.  The big nightmare?  Yep, Pasadena traffic

Dallas
        Ute Fan
        @dallas

Your forum name is great!!

Calgradutedad
      Ute Fan
      @calgradutedad

I’ve found this thread from Wisconsin fans on the Rose Bowl to be helpful for the parade and other things. We’ve bought tickets to see the parade and we plan on parking at the stadium early and walking to the parade. If our son wasn’t in the Utah band I would probably skip the parade because it does make for such a long day.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/buckyville/rose-bowl-travel-and-logistics-advice-t100531.html

tarheelute
      Ute Fan
      @tarheelute

Signed up for the long day, tickets in the bandstand nearest the stadium. Will make a early night of New Year’s Eve. I expect the Utes get more opportunities, but my wife and I might not. Getting a little older, will make the most of the week in Newport as well. Go Utah beat The OS!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.