SEC hack thinking some interesting things

Viewing 1 reply thread

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Paul Finebaum predicts

Utah at 7 in week ten….I don’t see Oregon. 

astUTE
      Ute Fan
      @astute

This would seem to imply that he expects that we will win at WA, and Ore loses at USC, leaving Utah 8-1 (5-1), Oregon 7-2 (5-1), and USC 6-3 (5-1).  This scenario leaves us hoping that ASU beats USC allowing us to win the south.

I’d rather have USC lose, resulting in a 8-1 (6-0) Ore being ranked 7, with an 8-1 (5-1) Utah ranked at 8 or 9, AND USC 5-4 (4-2), and Utah controlling it’s own destiny in the south.  

1 1

snommismr
        Ute Fan
        @snommismr

We HAVE TO, HAVE TO, HAVE to have USC lose this weekend.  First and foremost, it would esentially eliminate the PAC12 from the playoffs. I also fear that if they win Saturday, they will likely win out and end up in the PAC12 championship game.  Even if we win out go 11-1 in this scenario, we would probably end up in the Alamo bowl.  All of this is a moot point if we don’t take care of business tomorrow.

Italy88
          Ute Fan
          @itacoatiara22

I’d love to hear your reasoning on why an 11-1, top 10 ranked Utah team would end up in the Alamo rather than a NY6 bowl.

1 1

snommismr
            Ute Fan
            @snommismr

Looking at it again, we probably could get into the Cotton bowl, but that isn’t even a lock….

Fiesta and Peach are playoff semifinal games

Rose is tied to PAC12 and Big 10 champions or runner ups

Sugar is tied to SEC and big 12 champions or runner ups

Orange is tied to ACC and SEC/BIG ten runner up or Notre Dame.

That basically leaves the Cotton bowl, which will automatically have the group of 5 team this year (unless the group of 5 team somehow makes the playoff).  That leaves one spot.  From what I can tell (rules not totally clear from my google search), the highest remaining ranked team that is not in the playoffs will get that spot.  Would we be the highest ranked team not in the playoff and not in one of the other bowls?  Depends on how it shakes out in the SEC (they currently have four teams ranked above us). 

Lets play make believe. Ohio state, Clemson, Alabama, and LSU get into the playoffs.  Then Penn state and Oregon or USC to the rose, some horrible ACC team and Florida in the Orange, and Georgia and Oklahoma are in the Sugar.  Will we be higher ranked than a one loss Minnesota, Baylor, or even two loss Notre Dame or Michigan?  Probably, but not sure anything is guarenteed.  

Italy88
              Ute Fan
              @itacoatiara22

All you need to do is look at the remaining schedule for Minnesota and Baylor to know that neither of those guys will finish with one loss.

St George Ute
          Ute Fan
          @stgeorgeute

An 11-1 Utah would finish top 10 and would be pretty much guaranteed a NY6 game, likely the Cotton Bowl against SMU or whoever is the highest ranked G5. Utah not getting to the title game isn’t the end of the world. If we take care of business and win out (fingers crossed), then we’re still in a very good spot.

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

If Utah ends up 11-1 in that scenario, it’ll be more likely that we end up in the Cotton Bowl than the Alamo Bowl.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football SEC hack thinking some interesting things