S**t post Sunday: or why the USC loss doesn’t matter

Viewing 6 reply threads

Tim Juice
      Ute Fan
      @timjuice83

That fateful night many weeks ago may just come to haunt our dreams for year to come. But really, did that loss really matter? I submit that it may not matter at all in the end. 

1. That loss gave us one of two top 25 opponents on the schedule. If we had won that game USC would not be ranked in the CFP poll. We can all hear the pundits now “but who have they played? No one on their schedule is ranked!” Followed by “Oklahoma best a top ten and undefeated Baylor, they deserve to be in over Utah.” 

2. What are we hearing after the loss? It’s all over the place, “Utah lost to the only ranked team on their schedule.” Meanwhile, “Oklahoma had a bad loss, but their wins and strength of schedule are way better.” 

3. It’s all about name recognition. Why else is Alabama ranked higher? They have played an ass schedule and ALSO lost to the only ranked team on their schedule. But we aren’t hearing ANY of the above about them. Simply put, they, and Oklahoma, bring more money to the table and thus have the upper hand if all else is equal. 

So what can Utah do? They can win out and hope for the best. They can sustain and build on this success and game some recognition for themselves  and they can wait and hope for an 8 team playoff in the near future  

Regardless, this has been one of the funnest (outside of one week) seasons I have ever watched as a Utah fan. I was critical of Whitt in the past but am ready to admit I was wrong. He is without a doubt one of the top 3 coaches in Utah history, with an argument to be made for number 1. 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Had we beat USC, we’d be #4 right now. 

I think we make it in regardless, but it definitely mattered. 

Tim Juice
      Ute Fan
      @timjuice83

I think we’d be 5 at best. The argument that UGA has played more ranked teams than anyone else would be a loud one. I agree though that if we win out we make it in, unless UGA beats LSU in the SEC title game.

And, in that scenario, even if we beat USC you can still hear the argument for both LSU and UGA over Utah being pumped from ESPN. Even though it’s a load of horse ass.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

We’d be 4. We’d have a better resume than Clemson. Hell, we might be 3rd if we’d beaten USC. 

astUTE
      Ute Fan
      @astute

I realize that my comments are coming from a completely different perspective than those in this thread, but I’m fine with the loss to USC.  My contention is that had we not lost that game, Whit/Scalley, would not have decided to relax, just a little, the “we play man defense – not matter what” montra, and we might have possibly lost to WAZZU, ASU, and/or potentially others.  

The lose to USC, and particluraly the way we lost, changed the mind set of the entire coaching staff, and the entire team.  That lose, insured there were no other similar losses, to lessor teams and provided us with the necessity to win each game, or fail ALL our goals.

Too bad we needed that loss to effect such change, but I content that we needed it.

Now, let’s win out!  Which I am convinced we will to, and go to the CFP if the stars align correctly, or to the Rose Bowl as our worst consolation.

Go UTES!  Rose Bowl or better!

Tim Juice
        Ute Fan
        @timjuice83

Agreed, that’s another good point. If that loss didn’t happen, do we potentially lose to a lesser team for a loss that looks even worse?

Tim Juice
      Ute Fan
      @timjuice83

While I would agree that we SHOULD be ranked that high, the reality is that we wouldn’t. History suggests that the name brand teams would get the benefit. This is the same CFP that put OSU in over really good TCU and Baylor squads, then again without wing their conference. Then Alabama without even winning their conference. I don’t see the committee picking Utah over the defending champs especially.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I’m not sure I agree with you. Ohio St blew the doors off Wisconsin and TCU/Baylor did nothing. 

If anything, that precedence helps Utah. 

Alabama got in over a two loss OSU. Not comparable here either. AND Alabama got in over a more profitable program. So, not comparable. 

Tim Juice
      Ute Fan
      @timjuice83

Good points on Bama there and your are correct on those.

I believe that if we win out and win convincingly in the conference championship game we will be in, UNLESS, UGA beats LSU in the SEC championship game.

In that case I still don’t think the USC loss matters. I think the committee would put both of them in over Utah based on the perceive brand and strength of schedule. And we wouldn’t be in over undefeated OSU or undefeated defending champs Baylor.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Until every conference champion is included the Title will still be a mythical title. No one really knows who would beat who, so unless everyone gets a chance to show how good they are you still haven’t crowned a true champion. So until then you can only play who’s on your schedule and beat them, don’t worry about the pencil necks in the committee room.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football S**t post Sunday: or why the USC loss doesn’t matter