Siaosi Aiono Out This Week

Viewing 5 reply threads

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Whitt confirmed that Hiva Lutui (Junior) would get the start this week as Aiono is out. Page 12 of the depth chart:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/utah/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/release/release_20151102aaa.pdf

This doesn’t bode well, in my opinion. Aiono is on pace to be an all-conference center, and is one of the emotional/physical leaders of the team. His leadership on the line is one of the big reasons that the O-Line has been able to function well. Having him out against a hungry UW defense makes me nervous for both Booker and Wilson. Not to mention Husky fans are loud, and we cannot afford miscommunications between Travis and Lutui that result in penalties.

Get well soon, Siaosi.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

What’s the injury?

GadValleyUte
      Ute Fan
      @maximumkungfu

That sucks. Young guy making first start on the road. That’s rough, but Whitt has been talking Lutui up all year so we’ll see.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Turns out I was slightly mistaken. Aiono was also out last week against OSU, so Lutui at least has some game time reps — but playing against OSU is completely different than playing against UW.

Definitely rooting for the kid and hoping he can have a great game.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Based on his name I’m betting Lutui is a big tough strong poly kid. That should help. 🙂

MTM
        Ute Fan
        @mtm

And he was a 4-star recruit with offers from half the PAC including UCLA and USC.

Lutui is no slouch.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by MTM.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

“This doesn’t bode well, in my opinion.”

I think you need to brush up on your Lutui knowledge. He has been an integral part of the offensive line all year. You make it sound like we’re putting in some “wet behind the ears bench rider”.

Here is what he’s done for us so far this year.
      ********************************************************************************
      UTAH: Versatile lineman can play both center and guard.

2015–Has appeared in all eight contests and played on the offensive line in seven games (three starts, two at right guard and one at center) … 282 offensive plays … played a season-high 63 snaps at center against Oregon State … 44 snaps at USC … 40 snaps against Arizona State … had a cut against California.

2014–Played in four games with one start (Idaho State) … totaled 118 regular-season snaps (stats were not kept for the Las Vegas Bowl) … lettered.

2013–Saw action on the line against Weber State, participating in 32 plays … lettered.

2012–Redshirt.

HIGH SCHOOL: 2011 U.S. Air Force All-American … first-team all-state Class 5A in 2010 and 2011 … 2011 Star-Telegram Super Team pick … 2009 district sophomore of the year and district newcomer of the year … Rivals.com and Scout.com four-star recruit … 114 knockdowns, 43 pancakes, a 90% overall grade and no sacks allowed as a senior … 143 knockdowns and 42 pancakes as a junior … Trinity High (Texas) was the 2009 state 5A champion and the 2011 state runner-up … made the A/B honor roll and earned a Hi-Five certificate.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by 89ute.
Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Siaosi Aiono Out This Week