Viewing 3 reply threads
      1 1

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I don’t think it will ever happen but it would be interesting to see the Jazz move to like Lehi or Draper or something.

HoosierUte
        Ute Fan
        @hoosierute

why?

Ute Dub
          Ute Fan
          @chestercopperpot

Stop lighting 35 house fires next to the ballpark in a year, maybe? The article mentioned this: “Tuesday’s announcement comes as the city has been focusing revitalization efforts on the Ballpark neighborhood, where crime has been a prominent problem in recent years. The issue has been fueled in part by the number of abandoned structures in the vicinity, also called nuisance properties, which tend to foster opportunities for illicit drug use, prostitution, vandalism, and destructive vagrancy. City authorities recently approved the demolition of several of those nuisance properties after two of them had been lit on fire at least 35 times in the course of a year.

UrbanLiar
            Ute Fan
            @urbanliar

The Miller group owns humongous chunks of the Kennecott Land parcels on the western bench, so it makes sense they’d want to relocate an attractive community amenity to their new master planned communities. But yes I agree the area around the current ballpark is in need of massive redevelopment, crime deterrents, etc.

HoosierUte
            Ute Fan
            @hoosierute

I get why the baseball team moved. I was wondering why anybody would want to move the Jazz out of SLC? 

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Owner is a zoob. Lehi is becoming an up and coming community within the Tech industry.

PlainsUte
                Ute Fan
                @plainsute

LoL.  C’mon, they will stay in a major city vs a minor league baseball club.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I hope not. They need to stay in SLC.

tysnowboarder88
          Ute Fan
          @tysnowboarder88

I am not surprised by this move. Crime is high in salt Lake, Traffic congestion is getting bad and things don’t seem to be getting better. I bet they get a better tax incentive by moving to another city. It’s sad, but I only go into Salt Lake for Utah Utes sporting events. I have a young family and it is harder to find parking spots in the city with parking being taken away everywere. If I were young I wouldn’t mind walking a half a mile to my destination. With kids it is not worth it. 

PlainsUte
            Ute Fan
            @plainsute

Crime?  The Pistons are still in Detroit, need I say more?

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

Speaking of which, when’s the U going to finally get their own ballpark?

alexsmith
        Ute Fan
        @alexsmith

They might be now with smiths ballpark being free 😂

D T
          Ute Fan
          @azute1

I should’ve clarified—On campus where one belongs?

AZUTE
            Ute Fan
            @azute

Where? There isn’t much vacant land left on campus to build on and the city won’t let them expand the diamond next to Sunnyside park

D T
              Ute Fan
              @azute1

They can improvise & make it happen if they want to & I suspect that’s the long-term plan to get it done at some point.

It makes a huge difference in getting butts in the seats….This remote/sharing nonsense isn’t the solution.

AZUTE
                Ute Fan
                @azute

They can improvise????

Do tell

Smith’s park was them improvising.

Maybe they can barrow the field at East HS.

Have you been on campus lately? There is no room and they are NOT going to tear down buildings for an athletic program that is a complete and total afterthought by university admin.

The baseball team is the only athletic program at the U that hasn’t had some sort of facility upgrade since joining the Pac12.

There is a reason for that. Nobody cares.

Staples
      Ute Fan
      @staples

I get why they’re moving, the area seemingly gets worse every year, but I’m still sad to see the end of Smith’s Ballpark. One of the best views in baseball and for simply a venue to watch a game, it was great. I’ll still try to make it out to games once the new stadium opens, but as a Davis County resident it won’t be nearly as convenient. It will be interesting to see where the Utes end up in all of this – currently their alternative is Ogden so traveling to Daybreak would seem plausible if they don’t get an on-campus stadium built.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Wondering if Utes might be able to share the stadium that SLCC uses (off of 90th and Bangerter)?  Would have a suitable capacity.

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

I remember at the end of the chris hill Era there were plans to shoehorn a stadium in place of the guardsman practice field but I think they were scrubbed. IIRC it was 2016 and 8 or so Million – I wonder if they will dust those plans off 

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

If the implode the Behavioral Science Building (please!), they could put one next to RES.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Professional Sports MLB SL Bees moving to Daybreak.