So I decided to give Utah basketball this season another chance. Big mistake.

Viewing 7 reply threads
      10 2

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Sigh, I love watching the Running Utes historically, but honestly, I just can’t. It’s just not fun at all. I’ll admit I love watching Timmy Allen, he’s a stud. And these Utes have some talent, but I just don’t think Krystkowiak can coach them up properly.  

And I also think it’s a general CBB and production thing. College basketball has so many fouls and then layer the incessant commercials on top of it and it’s nigh unwatchable.  Wake me up when it’s football season.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Nope. Luckily we only have to deal with this nonsense for one more year

10 2

AZUTE
        Ute Fan
        @azute

Harlan can’t wait that long. Utah Basketball is circling the drain right now on his watch. He’s got to find a way to end this nightmare now. It’s only gonna get worse cause Larry knows he’s a lame duck Coach playing out his contract.

The longer Harlan waits to end this the longer it will take to revive the program

3 2

Utebeam
          Ute Fan
          @utebeam

^^^^this times a billion!

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

His contract is until June 30, 2023, right? Less 1/17/2021 is 894 days / 365 = 2.45 years. So is it 2 years after this year?

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

Is it just me or what is up with Jones this year? He seems to have regressed big time. Not just this game but for a while now. Need way more out of him. 

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

At least he gives us a lot in passing and defense. Carlson doesn’t serve any purpose at all. Im completely dumbfounded at how much worse he is this year. It’s pretty obvious that they have given up trying.

1 2

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Given the financial circumstances I just don’t see Harlan doing anything. I think he will have a very blunt conversation of K. But it’s really just an excuse. K should just walk away. The team doesn’t believe in him. His players are regressing. I can’t even believe we are here again with Utah basketball. Although, I’ve been done with K for two years now.

2 1

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

.. well if I had a choice between football or basketball; football all day .. Basketball ain’t going anywhere until you remove coach K plain and simple

1 2

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Agree. Harlan’s in a tough spot. Sadly, considering how far Utah BB has fallen, the expense of riding out LKs contract buyout at least one more year may be a better cost option than the revenue (game, alumni, donors, etc.) the BB will generate over the next 1-2 years.

I agree with what some have stated on this board. Harlan, fans, and the media should make it miserable for LK over the next two years while he’s coaching at Utah. Dude is making waaaay to much money to be let off easy. I suspect there will be another mass exodus of players in March.

LK had some decent years early on at Utah. The player turnover, poor recruiting, and some clear coaching flaws have caught up with him. Go Utes!

Ute2
          Ute Fan
          @ute2

I’d heard his buy out is 6 mil after this year.

If his buyout is 6 amd we pay him 4, aren’t we getting into territory where it’s feasible to move on?

Or is that all wrong?

That said, this makes me sad because I do really like k and was a big defender for a long time. I’m really at a loss as to why he can’t coach up on offense. (I think we generally do everything else pretty well, except last night.)

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

Not really, because we would have to pay his replacement at least 1 million, probably more.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

lk knows he isn’t coming back. He knows he is vastly overpaid, and he knows nobody involved with Ute basketball wants him around.

he has given up on his team and himself. He just makes excuses now. He doesn’t expect improvement out of himself, his coaches, or his players.

he would be happier if he quit.

8 2

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

The amount left on his contract is 6 mil after this season give or take a couple hundred thou.

Most buyouts are negotiable. Larry could agree he hasn’t lived up to expectations and agree to take less or he could say he wants it all. Either way anything short of a miracle finish this year and a deep tournament run next season Larry won’t be back.

Buyouts are typically paid over time so if Harlan could get Larry to take less and then bring in a Coach at say 1.75 million to start
      The amount it would cost the university is negligible.

Larry just lost 3 games at home after a combined 30 point lead at halftime in those games. What gonna happen now as he take to the road where he has lost 11 straight conference road games?

Rip the bandaid off right now. Fire Larry name Conner interim HCand start your national search ASAP.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Just for clarity, the “buyout” is 6 mil after this season, is that right? at 3 mil per? So if he doesn’t win big next year, you still have to negotiate or eat 3 mil after the end of next season?

1 1

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Love that plan AZUTE. let’s see if Harlan has the balls to do it.

5 1

OSH_UTE
      Ute Fan
      @runningutes

After much more of this we’re going to need curtains in the lower bowl too. 

homer
        Ute Fan
        @homer

Easy for us keyboard financiers to shell out $6 mill. Harlan and the athletic department on the other hand are facing g a $30-35$ million deficit. At my house, that means we have garage sales and play the cards we got dealt.

Utebeam
          Ute Fan
          @utebeam

Probably the reality. Yay, we’ll get to watch Larry s**t the bed for another year.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

What a brilliant idea. Utah sports should have a garage sale.  Sell a few 10 cent items for 50% off and buyout Larry with that!

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) So I decided to give Utah basketball this season another chance. Big mistake.