so who is actually supposed to be starting on the offensive line?

Viewing 2 reply threads
      1 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

And does anyone know if we’ll actually see them or no?

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Good question, Utah is evidently now “young” on the Oline with three Frosh starting or some version. No disrespect to your post, at this point does it really matter? There’s ten days left in the season for Utah. Maybe some sort of consolation game during the week of the P12 Conference Championship game. I doubt that game ends up happening anyway with the Covid surge coming on especially involving the California schools. This season just needs to end for the P12 Conference and let the kids move on with their lives, school work and being home safe with family before the holiday break.

My neighbor’s kid plays football at Stanford and he said it’s brutal how locked down the team is especially after ramping up their course load when the season was initially canceled then back on taking away study time. I hope the P12 leadership calls it good after next week (if it gets that far). Let the UW/UO vs. USC isolate for two weeks and play out the P12 Championship for one of the NY6 bowls. 2cents. Go Utes!

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Orlando Umana started all last season at center, started the USC game, didn’t start or play in the UW game. Instead, Nick Ford who plays left tackle went to center and Simi Moala moved from right tackle to left tackle and Jaren Kump played right tackle as a freshman. Braeden Daniels play all of last year at left or right guard but has yet to play this year. Johnny Maea was a starter at guard last year and had yet to play this year. So we have two freshman at guard this year. Bills and Laumea. Bam Olaseni the mammoth of a man at 6’8” 340 lbs was supposed to be a JC transfer that could play big minutes but he hasn’t panned out.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

At this point, unless you are an insider, it is difficult to tell if folks have been passed by younger players or if they are unavailable, forcing younger players onto the field.  I know the OL has had great difficulity practicing as a unit due to testing and tracing.  It could be that these issues have taken a lot out of some individuals.  Whitt does not like to tip his hand by talking about who is unavailable or potential weaknesses.  It is difficult for me to assume which players are not capable or what coaching is not getting done.  I wonder if we will understand the OL’s status before the off season.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

Thanks, Hammer.  Your little analysis sheds new light on our o-line.  I know we’ve had players out and some that are sort-of playing, but it sounds like it has been a complete patch-work unit in the first couple of games.  I’m in the “no expectations” camp this year, but at least this helps me understand our struggles at this position a little better.  

gUrthBrooks
          Ute Fan
          @hammer

What I don’t know is if Bills and Laumea actually beat out Daniels and Maea or if there is Covid issues, personal issues or something else.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

How is this negative? It’s a legit question. Not my fault if people interpret a comment in a negative way.

I’m assuming the freshman are starting in place of others because of COVID issues… that’s what we’ve been told anyway, so who are the guys who should be starting. Simple question.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

What is UF.N? And, I am the extremely negative one on UH.C. Got that?

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Ok, but didn’t start and played minimally, right?

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football so who is actually supposed to be starting on the offensive line?