Sunday interview for SC Donte Williams

Viewing 2 reply threads

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

UrbanLiar
      Ute Fan
      @urbanliar

Interesting response at 9:30 mark on the tape. He didn’t deny they declined wearing the LLTJ+LLAL sticker when directly asked. Nice words on the moment of silence but he completely sidestepped that question.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I viewed it as a sidestep at first. I think he did answer the question though. It was basically the “right” thing to do. Morally he felt doing anything beyond that wasn’t helping or hindering. I am just speaking of what I think his perspective is. What you are “supposed to do” is different. Also the media guy asking the question? Couldn’t throw on a polo or better shirt?  Nasty white t shirt with an overused collar??

I also found his view of a PI that extended a Utah drive bothered him. I think it might be the Kuithe endzone tackle one. He hasn’t looked at film but live he viewed it as an unfair penalty. 

Speaking of what I think is wrong with USC I think it is an entitlement issue. Now I believe USC has a ton of NFL guys on their team. But it felt like the coaching staff believes they are already NFL guys. From an entitled standpoint. They literally are not in the NFL and may be treating them that way. 

UteCoop
      Ute Fan
      @utecoop

The PI on Kuithe seemed obvious to me however the PI when Benard was pushed out of bounds was more questionable and probably what Coach Williams is talking about.

2 1

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

That call surprised me also. I thought it was going to either be that the receiver stepped out of bounds and then came back on or offensive PI.

I’d never heard of a DB using the sideline to his advantage being a penalty. In fact, I taught all my DB’s to deliberately work the receiver out of bounds whenever they took a sideline release. Never had a flag called on my guys.

PNW Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pnwute

Well, using the sideline and forcing the receiver out of bounds is one thing. The ref here was calling the DB for pushing the receiver out of bounds though. Making contact with a receiver after the ball is in the air is pass interference. Anywhere on the field.

Whether the DB really pushed him is debatable though. I though Utah got a break here.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

You’ve got the wording of the rule correct on making contact with the receiver but not the spirit. If you are the receiver running your route and I as the DB can keep myself in stride with you, there is a lot of contact that is allowable by both of us. As long as the contact isn’t a push or obvious pull of the jersey, I would be allowed to “guide” you over the sideline using my inside hand, shoulders and hips. 9 times out of 10 it will be a no call on me and the 10th would get you flagged for leaving the field and then returning.

On any contested ball, there is a lot of contact from both players most times which is why you rarely see flags unless it is egregious. Much like offensive holding. By rule you could call it on every play but usually you only see flags when it is blatant and affects the play.

PNW Ute
              Ute Fan
              @pnwute

Yeah, I partially agree with you. I think he just ran the receiver out of bounds. Like I said, I think Utah got a break. I wouldn’t have called it.

But you’re not completely right with the “a lot of contact is allowable by both of us” statment. It is true. But only before the ball is in the air. Defenders in college are allowed a lot of contact (more than in the NFL), but not after the ball is thrown. It is like holding, you’re right. You push/bump a receiver when the ball is in the air, and it’s like hooking a defender in the backfield. Might not get called every time, but you can’t complain when it is.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Sunday interview for SC Donte Williams