TEs

Viewing 5 reply threads

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

So the TE at TDS is leaving the team and hoping to go to Utah?  Is this guy Holker any good?  I suppose he figures to fit in next year after a pair of TEs go to the NFL.  I was thinking the Utah O design would attract TEs but maybe that is more for next year.

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

Is this legit? I think the only players I’d take from byu are Nacua and some of their stud o-line but outside that we’re good. 

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

Their stud o-Line?  The same O-line that opened up a whopping 61 rushing yards against the ducks?  Really?  I don’t think so.

gandalf
      Ute Fan
      @gandalf

Holker would be a good addition after Kuithe and Kincaid are gone.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

Holker is “meh”.  He can “add depth” but he doesn’t look like “starter” material to me.

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

You may be right, I don’t know the kid.  But I do know that Kincaid wasn’t exactly top news when he transferred.  Sometimes all it takes is a different system.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Kincaid was an FCS all american. I was one of the many who poo-poohed his pickup but he definitely wasn’t a nobody.

pedro
            Ute Fan
            @pedro

Please note I didn’t say he was a nobody. I noted simply that it wasn’t top news.  

Warren Smith
          Ute Fan
          @unhealthyutefan

Would’ve agreed with the “no one on BYU could play for Utah” takes five years ago but not so sure now. The Oregon loss was bad but I’d love to have Jaren Hall, Puka, Romnney, Chase Roberts, Freeland, Kingsley, Barrington, Holker, Max Tooley, Pili, and Fautea (he was a beast against Baylor) on our team. The U recruited all of the above except Barrington and Pili. I like Bywater too. Lots of objective reports out there that BYU will have 5-8 NFL pick next year. Their o-line is legit – pass pro has been great. Brooks and Katoa don’t have the pop Algier did last year.

pedro
            Ute Fan
            @pedro

I’m not sure who you were responding to on this one…  But I didn’t say they couldn’t play for the U, I simply said that thus far, our O line is doing better with the run than theirs is.  We’ll see where they stack up at the end of the year.

Warren Smith
              Ute Fan
              @unhealthyutefan

Meant to reply to the post above from someone about only taking Nacua and O-lineman from BYU. I agree with you that the U’s o-line has been great this year. They were the most impressive position group in the Florida game. 

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I do not know anything about this TE.  It is an odd time to leave a team but he may be doing it to preserve a redshirt year this year and have 2 to play 2.  Guesses are he may follow Grimes to Baylor or may stick around this area.  Likely getw worked out in January.  I don’t think we have repacements for Kuithe and Kincaid for next year so TE may be a rebuild.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Byu fans say he’s food. Not sure I trust them though.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Are they going to feed him to the team? 

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

🤣🤣🤣 judging by what I’m reading from TDS fans on Twitter, they would like to.

GameForAnyFuss
              Ute Fan
              @gameforanyfuss

BYU-Provo Campus fans will only eat him if he’s 3 feet long and covered in maple glaze.

9 1

krindor
      Ute Fan
      @krindor

Here’s the report on Holker, from someone who follows both programs

TL,DR: There’s solid potential there. He’s not as good a player as BYU fans would have had you think (before transferring), but he’s also more promising than his stat line shows.

He’s a big, athletic guy with the frame to be a strong piece.  Came in at 6’5″, 220 and had a fairly good true freshman year, making solid contributions behind Matt Bushman and outplaying several Cougars who later WERE major contributors (Dax Milne, Neil Pau’u, Gunner Romney).  Went on a mission and over the next few years added a fair amount of muscle, while retaining his athleticism, now listed at 6’5″, 240.

Between the exciting true freshman year and the improved physique, BYU fans got REALLY excited about him, which is probably some of the noise you’ve heard – about how BYU’s TE room (Isaac Rex and Dallin Holker) is on near-par with Utah’s (Kuithe and Kincaid).  Obviously that’s not accurate, and part of it is fandom, but there was reason to be excited about Holker.  Since that time though, he’s failed to live up to the expectations there.  His true freshman year remains his top statistical production.

The question is why that’s the case.  Is it because of a limited role behind Isaac Rex and the strong BYU WR corps (which is what he’s implying he believes with his decision to transfer)?  Is it because last year was spent recovering from the mission?  Is it because the freshman year was a fluke, promising stats on a mediocre team?  Is it because he lost athleticism with the extra weight?  

He’s definitely got potential and is (at the very least) a good depth addition to the team. Has the chance to be a starter and strong contributor. But, as the saying goes “Potential is just another word for ‘haven’t done jack yet’ ” It’ll be up to whatever team he ends up with to develop him (including providing opportunities) to try to unlock whatever potential may be there.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.