The portal

Viewing 6 reply threads

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

Beside N. Johnson who else do we think is moving on?

Rose? Howard? Any freshman WRs or RBs that didn’t get any reps today?

Good programs lose players. Who are we losing?

1 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Pull up Utah’s roster. Sort by position. Look at any position that isn’t OL/DL.

Then find FR/SO who didn’t play this year and have a SO/JR ahead of them.

That’s who will probably transfer.

Then look at our starters. If there is a JR behind them, more transfer candidates.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I’ve heard Barnes is going to and honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he does.

tanute3
        Ute Fan
        @tanute3

I have also heard that Barnes is gone after this season

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

Barnes going to the portal doesn’t make sense to me.

His dream was to play for the Utes and they gave him more opportunities and put more time and effort into his development than any major FBS program would have. He’s not going to find a head coach who likes him more than Kyle does.

I wouldn’t hate to see him leave at all but why would he do it now? Didn’t he get exactly what he wanted here?

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

it’s possible that what he wants has changed/evolved. He got his shot with the Utes. He had his day in the sun, now he wants to go somewhere where he can dominate. (I’m not claiming that is what he wants, just a hypothetical).

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I agree with you. I don’t see a reason for Barnes to leave unless he’s already gotten his degree from Utah and just wants to play. He’s not a P5 starter so whatever school he goes to will be a step down from Utah, both academically and from a facilities standpoint. He might even have to drop down to the FCS level to become a guaranteed starter. Not sure where that journey will take him but it might be far from Utah

HoosierUte
          Ute Fan
          @hoosierute

What is USUs qb situation?

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Cooper Legas is the starter and he’s a senior. I’m not sure if he’s got any eligibility left.

2 1

UtMtBiker
          Ute Fan
          @utmtbiker

Academically? There are plenty G5 schools with similar or better academic programs.

uteinzoobcounty
      Ute Fan
      @uteinzoobcounty

Cope, Falcon, Calvert, maybe togiai

MFury
        Ute Fan
        @mfury

I’d guess Barnes doesn’t hit the portal unless he knows his destination. He just did a full season audition, won’t be hard for other teams to be clear on the opportunity (or not).

Caliman
      Ute Fan
      @elguapoute

I heard Barnes( not confirmed) is looking at BYU; of all the fn places he can go, this is not one I’d like to see him go to. If true, this would really suck.

krindor
        Ute Fan
        @krindor

We may not like it, but it would make a certain sense.

Barnes has gotten the opportunity and proves himself competent, so doesn’t want to go back to the bench for his last year. He wants to play, I get that.

And the reality is that he’s likely not going to get a good P5 opportunity unless the team is truly desperate for a QB. And BYU is local and absolutely desperate for a QB. Their projected starter for next year just went 0-4 down the stretch with a 46.7% completion rate. So their options are run it back with that guy, start a freshman, or get someone from the portal. It’s a very open opportunity

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

BYU and every other P5 team should be able to do better than Barnes. He’s ranked #80 in CFB. There are 60 P5 teams. Barnes isn’t a P5 QB.

Notable transfer risks IMO:
          Ritchie
          Medlock
          SFotu
          Glover
          Rose

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

He’s not guaranteed a starting job at BYU either. My guess is if Barnes leaves it’ll be to a place where he’s guaranteed a starting job.

W16Ute
        Ute Fan
        @w16ute

All through rumor mill, but it sounds like Southern Utah was buzzing with Bryson Barnes rumors all year, but I heard his family wanted him to go to Washington (I chuckled) but that he was thinking BYU. This was right after he was benched and apparently had beef with Whitt, which has since been patched up.

It was all rumors through many iterations of the telephone game so nothing reliable.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Southern Utah makes sense provided he goes there after he’s graduated from Utah. I checked his record and. even though he’s labelled as a Junior, he’s been at Utah since 2020, leading me to believe he’s on track to graduate this Spring, if not sooner. Playing in Cedar City would be great for him if he wants to be closer to home.

22Ute22
          Ute Fan
          @utedagoat

lol why did Barnes have beef with Whitt?

RustyShackleford
        Ute Fan
        @shakyute13

I would love for him to go be the starter at BYU. They’ll win 5 games again next year

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I’m ok with Barnes transferring. He played his heart out here and I love him for it. But Utah is going to do everything they can this spring to bring in players so that Barnes never steps on the field again.

Barnes has played in Rose Bowls, has been a starter, has won big games, led comebacks vs USC…he’s had quite the career at Utah.

And he isn’t a NFL player. He has one, maybe two seasons of playing football left in his life.

I totally understand going to a FCS team, being the man, leading your team to the playoffs and competing for a national title. What a great way to end your playing days.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.