Things I hope to see from our team against USC

Viewing 5 reply threads
      7 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I don’t expect to see these things. I won’t complain if I dont’ see them, but I hope to see the following:

– A team that is united

– Solid game plans on offense and defense (this is independent of our ability to execute against USC, well… as independent as it can possibly be anyway).

– A continuation of the defense we saw against WSU. Not necessarily a similar level of performance, but a continuation of that same style and level of aggression. Playing hard and fast on defense needs to be our identity on that side of the ball.

– Some semblance of an identity on the offensive side of the ball. What is our bread and butter on offense? I have no clue. In my opinion it can’t be the ‘let everyone on the offensive two deep get a couple of touches and see what works’ approach. Trying to keep everyone happy means that nobody gets enough touches to show what they can really do. This needs to stop. If we can’t find a guy or two that can step up and make big plays for us several times a game then we officially have a bad team. If we do have that guy on the roster, but he isn’t being used in this important game, Ludwig needs to hit the road. If we can’t block long enough to get the ball to that player when necessary, but that player does exist, Harding needs to hit the road. We NEED a go to running back, and a go to pass catcher (not Covey PLEASE). It’s not enought to know they are the go to players. I need to see that statement made ON THE FIELD.

younglurch
      Ute Fan
      @younglurch

Given that several players in the secondary are banged up, I suspect we will see some similar cover 2 defense we played at WSU and not a whole lot of man press. I assume Scalley would want to protect us from getting burned over the top by guys like Drake London. Despite the shaky start, Slovis and his receivers are good enough to abuse our guys if we try and play them tight. As a result of this defensive strategy I can see USC having long, sustained drives down the field. Solid red-zone coverage and holding them to field goals will be key. I think multiple 70, 80+ yard drives ending in field goals can be demoralizing and work in our favor. For this to really work though, the D-line needs to be physical and get pressure even in 4 man sets. 

Offensively, I agree that we need to hit our playmakers harder. Kuithe needs to show why he is the top TE in the conference. One of the recievers needs to step up as the go-to guy in 3rd and long situations. Whichever RB gets the most touches needs to establish themselves as an every down back. We have a lot of potential weapons offensively, just no alpha dogs right now. As the old adage with QBs goes, if you don’t have 1 QB you have zero. The same is true of much of our offensive playmakers. 

USC also has some studs on their D-line, so this will be a true test to see if the O-line has made progress. 

Overall though, the incredible thing is that we can still lose this game and be just fine in the PAC-12 south. ASU sits atop the division right now, and if we lose to SC and beat ASU next week, we jump to the top spot. Obviously I’d love the cushion and morale boost of a win in the coliseum, but the game against ASU matters way more right now. 

highlandute7
        Ute Fan
        @highlandute7

I really think this will come down to turnovers. We need to get a few and not give up any, especially with how we have given them up so far this season.

Not sure really how good USC’s Dline is. They gave up over 300 yards rushing to Oregon St (over 6 YPC). I have no idea how good OSU’s Oline is but I would assume we are just as good as them. We need to establish the run which is not something we have been good at this year and hold on to the ball as well.

If we can do that and limit the time USC is on offense we should have a good shot.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

All common sense here. Win turnover margin, run the ball/time of possession, pressure Slovis. Utes have all the talent to compete if they just stay out of their own way. Pledger is a nice addition. 

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

Watch the Stanford and Oregon St games.  Do what they did.  And stop fumbling the ball.

Trailgoat
          Ute Fan
          @utahgoat

Yup, Oline needs to push so Utes can run the ball and grind clock. Only way to defend London is to limit his time on the field. OSU held London every play, the refs got tired of throwing flags and let it play out.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Man, I wish I had hope.  This post isn’t going to be very popular but here’s how I see things going down on Saturday.  This is a very bad time to have so many banged-up players in our secondary.  London is hard to guard with healthy high-level DB’s so I have to wonder what he’s going to do against our unit.  USC is coming off two beat downs at home and I’m sure they’re going to have their ears pinned back for us.  I just don’t see them dropping three in a row at home.  I think this is going to be one of those extremely frustrating games in that our defense will do a decent job of holding SC’s offense for a couple of downs and then Slovis will huck it up for one of their receivers to pull down for a 1st down.  I have the feeling this is going to happen a lot.  So that’s their O vs our D.  I think SC’s D-line is good enough to keep Rising running for his life most of the game.  I just don’t see how our sluggish offense is going to do much against a defense that’s hungry and mad that they’ve looked so bad the last couple of times at home.  We need our receivers to bail out Rising, but I think they’re going to have trouble gaining any sort of separation from SC’s linebackers and secondary. 

Sadly, I have our Utes dropping this one by a couple of touchdowns (and, yes, I have put my $$ where my mouth is).  CAN the Utes win?  Sure.  Anything is possible.  I just think the Utes will have to play their 2021 “A” game (which we haven’t seen yet) and have SC play at their B- level (which they’ve played worse than that) to make it a game.  I hope I’m so so wrong and will GLADLY eat crow late Saturday night if I am.  

Just my .02, which means nothing really.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

It’s tough to say. Usc has a bye then motte same and they’re a very Jekyll and Hyde team. They could just decide to pack it in if we hit them hard. 

But we’re dealing with problems ourselves. Our team is hurting bad for non football related reasons. I’m not expecting much. But I’m hoping these guys and our fans will rally around each other with nothing but support this year and hereafter. 

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Do we know who is expected to be out for the game?

after_further_review
      Ute Fan
      @afterfurtherreview

1. The refs

2. whoever hired the refs.

3. whoever trained the refs.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

I never thought I’d hear myself say this, but the refs have been a little better this year.  I haven’t heard a ton about them which is a GOOD thing.  That said, they’re still too ticky-tack for my taste.  It’s football, let ’em play.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Not sure if true, but I read/heard somewhere the Pac-12 is the most penalized conference. 

MFury
            Ute Fan
            @mfury

Was mentioned a few times during UCLA / ASU broadcast

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

I’m still waiting for Theo Howard to be targeted more.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Things I hope to see from our team against USC